Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) (2614 Views)

What Is That Habbit/character You Did As A Child But Still Do Now You Are Grown / Top 15 Things We Used To Do In 80's/90's We Do No More / 7 Mthings We Did As Kids (children Of The 70's And Early 80's) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
I didn't actually know where to create this thread so I decided to do that in the general section. Gone are the days when we played with certain things! Those could be said to be our toys; children of nowadays...the indomie generation won't understand some of the stuffs am going to mention below because they never saw them nor do they know how enjoyable they were for us back then as kids. If are familiar with any of them, e mean say u sef dor old too o! grin They are surely memorable! Here I go:

1) Kite: If u play this play, e mean say u dor take style old. Kids these days can't even make a kite. Back then we used to fly kites made with papers, broomsticks or bamboo and we used 'eba' as our gumgrin hehehehe. We did send messages to our kites by making a hole in a small piece of paper and fixing it to the rope. The paper would go up up up.

2) Wooden gun: during Xmas periods, we make wooden guns. Tie pipe to it with tubes from car tyres and put heads of match sticks inside the pipe. It produces a deafening sound! Some people dig ground and pour hot lead from car batteries into the spoon shaped hole till it becomes solid. We would make a hole on it and put the heads of match sticks, fix a nail in the hole and hit on the wall! The noise na helele! We used to call it 'agadagbo' grin.

3) Otori: I don't even know if this one has an English name but I just know it as 'Otori'. One person is meant to chase a group of people, usually in a rough environment, filled with blocks, broken woods, chairs and other stuffs. If the person catches any of the group of people, that person caught would do the chasing. Warri, I know say una know this one well well grin

4) Driving/Riding wheels: This is another memorable stuff we did as kids. The wheels we rode were usually gotten from the plastic cover of small paint containers; some kids also got theirs from the bottom of those ancient metal buckets that are used to get water from the well. The spoke that is used to drive the wheels are gotten from old iron hangersgrin Na fun doz days if ur papa send u message and u get wheels grin. Fondest memories sha! Na so u go dey speed for road. Before spit go dry, u dor come back.

4) Hiring of bicycles: We used to hire bicycles back then. From one street end to the other na one nairagrin I can't easily forget what my dad did to me when I was in Jss 2. Mr Agubata, our neighbour reported me to my dad that he saw me along the road during school hours riding bicycle! That night was hell for me. Mortal Kombat dey learn sef grin

5) Mopo: I don't know what other kids like me growing up then called it, but we in the south, Old Bendel State dey call am 'mopo'. How deh dey play am? A person is meant to 'call' by trying to hit others with a small ball as they try to escape. Whoever the ball touches would be expected to 'call'.

6) Koto or Okoso: Back then, we used small snails' shells to play. A hole would be dug in the ground and we would shape the snail shells so that they could roll inside the shallow hole called 'ugba'. If my own nack ur own comot, na e be say I dor chop amgrin

Oya, my pipo wey know wetin I dey talk, make una add una owngrin

Rapmoney aka Warri First Son.
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by elantraceey(f): 3:46pm On Feb 10, 2015
I made wooden cars with boris or tin tomatoes tyres with stick steering diegrin

Most of my childhood friends were guys so don't be surprised tongue
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 3:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
elantraceey:
I made wooden cars with boris or tin tomatoes tyres with stick steering diegrin

Most of my childhood friends were guys so don't be surprised tongue
Chai!!! This babe u dor remind me of dat one o! I can't forget the fun we had with boris car!
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by elantraceey(f): 3:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
Rapmoney:

Chai!!! This babe u dor remind me of dat one o! I can't forget the fun we had with boris car!

grin grin and the injuries during car race tongue
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 4:01pm On Feb 10, 2015
elantraceey:

grin grin and the injuries during car race tongue
And parents would warn their kids not to make boris cars because the injury nor be heregrin
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by elantraceey(f): 4:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
Rapmoney:

And parents would warn their kids not to make boris cars because the injury nor be heregrin

My mum shouted to extent that she got tired , nor be my eye i take stop when e give me one big injury wey the scar still dey my leg grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 4:12pm On Feb 10, 2015
elantraceey:

My mum shouted to extent that she got tired , nor be my eye i take stop when e give me one big injury wey the scar still dey my leg grin
So were you a tomboy while growing up?
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by elantraceey(f): 4:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
Rapmoney:

So were you a tomboy while growing up?

na i wasn't , i was just a girl who is always around guys even till date.

1 Like

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Genea(f): 4:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
I cooked stew with clay and green leaves in a tomato tin as pot
I played rubber games and dis plastic balls( always d goal keeper)
mummy and daddy tinx
hide and seek
drove d plastic wheels
expert at kite making and bicycle hire
meeeeeehn I miss dose days
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Freiburger(m): 4:47pm On Feb 10, 2015
7. Attracted to places where there are deposits of sawdust...Gymnastics grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2015
elantraceey:

na i wasn't , i was just a girl who is always around guys even till date.
Hmmm...I like that smiley
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 5:04pm On Feb 10, 2015
Genea:
I cooked stew with clay and green leaves in a tomato tin as pot
I played rubber games and dis plastic balls( always d goal keeper)
mummy and daddy tinx
hide and seek
drove d plastic wheels
expert at kite making and bicycle hire
meeeeeehn I miss dose days
I dey tell u...sweet memories!

1 Like

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 5:05pm On Feb 10, 2015
Freiburger:
7. Attracted to places where there are deposits of sawdust...Gymnastics grin
Oboy, so u throw backy too? Acrobatic displaygrin
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Freiburger(m): 5:12pm On Feb 10, 2015
Rapmoney:

Oboy, so u throw backy too? Acrobatic displaygrin
Oh yes, I still do it sometimes. Why not?

1 Like

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 5:14pm On Feb 10, 2015
Freiburger:

Oh yes, I still do it sometimes. Why not?
I go call u Julius Aghahowagrin
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by DaGC(m): 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
#Nostalgia smiley
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 7:28pm On Feb 10, 2015
DaGC:
#Nostalgia smiley
Just the right word smiley
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by jacabi(m): 10:13pm On Feb 10, 2015
Na that wooden gun dey make us steal matches from our mama.
We couldn't do without riding wheel. It made our journey faster whenever we were going somewhere.
We also played counter(coke and beer covers). We used to arange them and begin to open them if they were closed or close them if they were opened using finger tip or biro-cover tip. Once you fail to open or close anyone at once you've missed it. It would then be the next person's turn.
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 8:47am On Feb 11, 2015
jacabi:
Na that wooden gun dey make us steal matches from our mama.
We couldn't do without riding wheel. It made our journey faster whenever we were going somewhere.
We also played counter(coke and beer covers). We used to arange them and begin to open them if they were closed or close them if they were opened using finger tip or biro-cover tip. Once you fail to open or close anyone at once you've missed it. It would then be the next person's turn.
U gat me laffing man. That time match sticks nor dey last for the housegrin
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Emmyk(m): 9:29am On Feb 11, 2015
How about tying a rope to an inset's leg -Alabumbo then you let it fly while u run round with the rope? cheesy

Also Kuluso, one reversal-mode insect like that that digs the ground that we played with?

There is this blue flying insect too we chase all around.

I rep 90s grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by dechandel(f): 9:48am On Feb 11, 2015
I didnt do all these!!

No thanks to my house!!! angry
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 2:31am On Feb 17, 2015
Emmyk:
How about tying a rope to an inset's leg -Alabumbo then you let it fly while u run round with the rope? cheesy

Also Kuluso, one reversal-mode insect like that that digs the ground that we played with?

There is this blue flying insect too we chase all around.

I rep 90s grin
If u rep 90's, e mean say u nor play reach us grin
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 2:32am On Feb 17, 2015
dechandel:
I didnt do all these!!

No thanks to my house!!! angry
Na e be say u miss be dat grin
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by itstpia8: 6:03am On Feb 17, 2015
grow up.
Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Emmyk(m): 9:18pm On Feb 17, 2015
Rapmoney:

If u rep 90's, e mean say u nor play reach us grin
We sha still try in the 90s compared to children of this present era. :p

1 Like

Re: 6 Memorable Things We Did As Kids (Children Of The 70's And Early 80's) by Rapmoney(m): 9:59pm On Feb 17, 2015
Emmyk:
We sha still try in the 90s compared to children of this present era. :p
ΓΏ
Na so sha smiley

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday, Texanomaly / See The Funny Response EFCC Gave To A Tweet / Quick Cash Loan At Zedvance Limited.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.