Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English (2332 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by SIRANDREWS: 5:32pm On Feb 11, 2015
In my opinion, I think:

1. Hausa
2. Pidgin English
3. Yoruba
4. Igbo

what's yours?
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by BrightEye(m): 6:06pm On Feb 11, 2015
Pidgin English should be first.
Even an Hausa who doesn't understand good english well tries pidgin english.
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Skillfullulu(m): 6:23pm On Feb 11, 2015
It's Yoruba language.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Skillfullulu(m): 6:24pm On Feb 11, 2015
It's Yoruba language. Not even pidigin

1 Like

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by BrightEye(m): 6:38pm On Feb 11, 2015
Skillfullulu:
It's Yoruba language. Not even pidigin

Look, i am also a yoruba dude, i lived in different places in nigeria. If you have to visit everywhere in nigeria, you would find out that 75 percent people in nigeria would be looking at you like musu if you speak yoruboid language among them!

1 Like

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Fulaman198(m): 7:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
It's Hausa by a landslide.

A lot of Non-Hausa peoples like my Fulani people speak Hausa as a second language, and there are other groups that speak Hausa as a 2nd language all in the North (most Northerners who aren't Hausa understand and can speak Hausa).
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Skillfullulu(m): 9:56pm On Feb 11, 2015
BrightEye:

Look, i am also a yoruba dude, i lived in different places in nigeria. If you have to visit everywhere in nigeria, you would find out that 75 percent people in nigeria would be looking at you like musu if you speak yoruboid language among them!
so which language is it?
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by BrightEye(m): 6:05pm On Feb 12, 2015
Skillfullulu:
so which language is it?

Pidgin english na.... And hausa comes second.
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Skillfullulu(m): 8:43am On Feb 13, 2015
BrightEye:

Pidgin english na.... And hausa comes second.
chai, I still don't agree

2 Likes

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Mustay(m): 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2017
Skillfullulu:
chai, I still don't agree
I agree with him. Pidgin/vernacular connects us more than any other language. Hausa is the most spoken language across WA (Nigeria inclusive). That's why you have international stations having a hausa version before they even think of any other language.

1 Like

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by babyfaceafrica: 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2017
Pidgin English is still a contact and business way of communication,it has not yet developed to a creole,....the answer is Hausa
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Skillfullulu(m): 2:22pm On Jan 03, 2017
Well these days I quite agree with u.
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Sammy07: 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2017
For me

Pigin English (because 99%students & south east/south can speak Pigin)
Hausa (100% North can speak hausa while 60% southwest can speak hausa)
Yoruba
Igbo
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by RedboneSmith(m): 7:00pm On Jan 04, 2017
Sammy07:
For me

Yoruba
Igbo

More than any other part of Nigeria I have visited, people from the southeast struggle with Pidgin.

I also seriously doubt that 60% of the southwest can speak Hausa. 60%!

3 Likes

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by YourNemesis: 8:28pm On Jan 04, 2017
BrightEye:

75% oh pls, dont push it.
More like 60%

for 35-40% of Nigeria, Yoruba is a failiar language, even if they do not really undersatand indepthly.
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by YourNemesis: 8:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
Sammy07:
For me

Yoruba
Igbo

lol... Excuse me?

1 Like

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Afam4eva(m): 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:

More than any other part of Nigeria I have visited, people from the southeast struggle with Pidgin.

I also seriously doubt that 60% of the southwest can speak Hausa. 60%!
Can you substantiate this claim.
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Ajikobi1: 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2017
It's Hausa
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by RedboneSmith(m): 9:07pm On Jan 06, 2017
Afam4eva:

Can you substantiate this claim.

Having lived in the south-south, the south-west and the south-east, it is my impression that southeasterners have the poorest command of Pidgin of the three zones. And I mean those southeasterners born and raised in the southeast.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Afam4eva(m): 9:10pm On Jan 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Having lived in the south-south, the south-west and the south-east, it is my impression that southeasterners have the poorest command of Pidgin of the three zones. And I mean those southeasterners born and raised in the southeast.
I also heard someone say it while i was serving in imo state. After doing some investigations, i realized that the people who actually speak pidgin English well are those who live in cosmopolitan cities such as Lagos, PH etc. The only place where pidgin English is very well spoken is actually in the South-South states. In the SE, SW, North and other homogeneous places, pidgin English is barely well spoken.

But i don't believe the SE is the worst at pidgin English. I think the North takes that position. Even the SW is not a pidgin English enclace. Don't base your judgement on Lagos alone. I have met a Yoruba guy that can;t speak English (He's from the rural part of Ondo) and i resorted to pidgin and the guy didn't understand jack. he only speaks Yoruba. That's not something you'll find easily in the east. Almost everybody understand pdgin English to a certain level.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Nobody: 4:46am On Jan 07, 2017
When did pidgin english become a language? Lol

A scot speaks english in front of you and you wont pick up a single sentence, doesnt mean hes not speaking english. Pidgin is more of a dialect of english just like the languages you mentioned here like hausa, yoruba, igbo etc all have dialects. So pidgin english shouldnt even be in the running.
Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by Afam4eva(m): 5:21am On Jan 07, 2017
YourNemesis:

75% oh pls, dont push it.
More like 60%

for 35-40% of Nigeria, Yoruba is a failiar language, even if they do not really undersatand indepthly.
Keep deluding yourself. Yoruba as a language does not go beyond the confines of Yorubaland. It's more spoken than Igbo because of the Lagos factor. But outside the SW, Yoruba is not understood except by Yorubas and few people who grew up in Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by YourNemesis: 5:32am On Jan 07, 2017
Afam4eva:

Keep deluding yourself. Yoruba as a language does not go beyond the confines of Yorubaland. It's more spoken than Igbo because of the Lagos factor. But outside the SW, Yoruba is not understood except by Yorubas and few people who grew up in Yorubaland.

Wait How am I deluding myself by the figure of Nigerians exposed to Yoruba in one form or the other?
First let me ask you what percentage of Nigeria do you think resides in the SW

If No less than 30% of Nigeria lives in the SW and you add those with some Yoruba language exposure in Kogi, Kwara and Edo, then you will begin to get my picture.

I stand by my earlier statement, around 35% of Nigerians can understand a few things and mutter a few stuff in Yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Spoken Language In Nigeria Asides English by megareal: 7:37pm On Jan 07, 2017
Definitely pidgin. No matter how bad the pidgin spoken ,one can still get the hang of it.

(1) (Reply)

Oranmiiyan Was The Son Of A Benin Prince Who Was Exiled / Incense Sticks, Dhoop & Agarbattis An Introduction / What Is Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.