Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,504 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

"roots" By Alex Haley - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "roots" By Alex Haley (1329 Views)

Photos :biography Of Chief Of Defense Staff Alex Sabundu Badeh / Roots Of America's Present-day Angst (by Attorney Patryk A. Utulu @ USA) / Roots(kunta Kinte) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"roots" By Alex Haley by Magz(m): 7:31pm On Jan 03, 2009
Anyone ever read "Roots"? This was one of the most important books I've ever read. Over 130 chapters, and I finished it twice. Never even seen the movie, but I'll get to that later in the year.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by Pepeye(f): 7:37pm On Jan 03, 2009
Watched the movies and read the book. . .
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by Ndipe(m): 12:12am On Jan 04, 2009
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by shotster50(m): 2:04am On Jan 05, 2009
It always sounded too good to be true.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by girl22(f): 4:32am On Jan 05, 2009
i was going to type that but changed my mind because i thought no one would believe me. but kunta kinte is a fictitous character. alex haley never retraced his roots. how in the hell did he retrace his roots from a diary kunta wrote in hwen slaves were not permitted to write or read?

he also left chapters out of malcom x autobiorgraphy.
he is suspected to have worked with the fbi on the autobiography of malcom x. thata has not been proven as of yet.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by Ndipe(m): 4:46am On Jan 05, 2009
girl22:

i was going to type that but changed my mind because i thought no one would believe me. but kunta kinte is a fictitous character. alex haley never retraced his  roots. how in the hell did he retrace his roots from a diary kunta wrote in hwen slaves were not permitted to write or read?

he also left chapters out of malcom x autobiorgraphy.
he is suspected to have worked with the fbi on the autobiography of malcom x. thata has not been proven as of yet.

I just googled that, and read of the allegations. Haley should have been stripped of the award from the Pulitzer board. He got away with literary fraud, and till today, there are some people who still hold that book to be a centerpiece of succesfully tracing your roots.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by shotster50(m): 7:39am On Jan 05, 2009
He has single handedly miseducated generations of black people.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by MandingoII(m): 8:34am On Jan 05, 2009
He has single handedly miseducated generations of black people.

Your NEGATIVE post may be correct - I'm not investigating because I REALLY don't give a Fugg!

HOWEVER!!!!

He has single-handedly caused Black and Americans to trace their ROOTS to whince they come.

He's the father of AMERICAN GENEALOGY.

Fraud and all.

now days a simple swab of the jaw can tell what parts of the world you evolved from.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by tpia: 9:11am On Jan 05, 2009
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by Ndipe(m): 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2009
MandingoII:

Your NEGATIVE post may be correct - I'm not investigating because I REALLY don't give a Fugg!

HOWEVER!!!!

He has single-handedly caused Black and Americans to trace their ROOTS to whince they come.

[b[b]]He's the father of AMERICAN GENEALOGY. [/b]  [/b]

Fraud and all.

now days a simple swab of the jaw can tell what parts of the world you evolved from.

You can never excuse any type of fraud, no matter the consequences that it may have led to. Now, the man conned people into believing that they can trace their roots, without admitting his own errors. As for that DNA swab, maybe, I should volunteer to have mine tested, in order to assess if they result can prove conclusively that I am an Ibibio from Nigeria.
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by shotster50(m): 9:30pm On Jan 05, 2009
@ Mandingo

So because he helped some people trace their roots, we should all forget the fact the Roots was fictious??
Re: "roots" By Alex Haley by Cayon(f): 3:18am On Jan 09, 2009
saw the series (not all though)

Peace

(1) (Reply)

Public Petition: Seun Unban Sisikill / How Can I Turn My Passion For Reading Into A Profitable Business? / Pictures Taken During The 5th Edition Of Fagunwa Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.