Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Top 10 Sources Of Inspiration For Creative Writing (part 1) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 10 Sources Of Inspiration For Creative Writing (part 1) (1700 Views)

IV Club's Creative Writing Competition 2017 | Winning Prize N70,000 / The Characteristics Of Good Writing (part 1) / Cracked Sources ( Love, Schemes, Scandals ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Sources Of Inspiration For Creative Writing (part 1) by TRWConsult(m): 4:15pm On Feb 12, 2015
Top 10 Sources of Inspiration for Creative Writing (Part 1)
BY EMILY LUCAS

Ayn Rand once said, “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” You should think of creative writing in this way too. It’s such a subjective pursuit it’s impossible to become the best and beat others. No matter how successful you become, you’ll never convince everyone.
With that in mind, you’ve probably come across a time where you’ve struggled to find inspiration. Whether it’s writing a UK essay or sat in front of the first blank page of what will become your new novel, it can completely deter you from writing. Here are 10 sources of inspiration for creative writing.

1. Love What You Do
We enjoy what we’re good at and we’re good at what we enjoy. If you don’t love writing, there’s no reason you’ll ever create something worthy of reading. The top British essays were concocted by writers who loved their subjects. Love what you do and think about the joy it brings you.
Be confident in yourself as a writer and you’ll soon find yourself picking pieces of inspiration from the most mundane parts of life.

2. Read!
There’s no substitute for reading. Whilst fewer people read in the 21st century world of technology, it’s still essential. Films, short videos, and the spoken word are no substitute for looking at an author’s work in the flesh.
Just from looking at the way an author writes, you can come up with twists on their work and gradually transition into an entirely new creation.

3. Communicate with the Creative
Collaboration can replenish your creative well. When you’ve run out of ideas, talk to someone who’s just as enthusiastic as you. They have different views and perspectives. Listen to how they look at a specific subject. Try to view something from as many different angles as possible. It’s why people opt for writing services as it gives them access to the approaches of another writer.

4. Nature
If you’re like most writers, you spend most of your time in urban areas. Leave your current surroundings and go into the countryside. Taking a look at the simple things in life adds to our creative processes. Beautiful landscapes are an old inspirational favourite, but go further. Watch the insects crawling along plants and listen to the birds. The sights, sounds, and smells of nature are a powerful source of inspiration.

5. Try Something New
Experience is our greatest teacher. Trying something new gives us a new experience. In creative writing, most writers infuse little pieces of personal experience into their work. Although there’s the occasional writer who can sit in a room and come up with an engaging and thought provoking world, most of us must use what we have experienced, during editing or proofreading works, writer can add his experience in order to describe all feeling and emotions of the moment.
It doesn’t have to be any sort of extreme sport. Find something you’ve never done before and give it a spin.
Re: Top 10 Sources Of Inspiration For Creative Writing (part 1) by Ishilove: 2:41am On Feb 13, 2015
4. Nature
If you’re like most writers, you spend most of your time in urban areas. Leave your current surroundings and go into the countryside. Taking a look at the simple things in life adds to our creative processes. Beautiful landscapes are an old inspirational favourite, but go further. Watch the insects crawling along plants and listen to the birds. The sights, sounds, and smells of nature are a powerful source of inspiration.
This works for me all the time. Taking long walks alone, feeling the wind in your hair and face, sitting down on a mountain top and listening to the sound of nature around you...

During my youth service in Ondo, I would locate the closest mountain, sit and deeply meditate on life. Those moments of silence were the times I received clarity on some things that troubled me. Once I got down from the mountain and re-entereod the concrete jungle,clarity disappeared, Ying left Yang and everything became screwed up again.
Re: Top 10 Sources Of Inspiration For Creative Writing (part 1) by Ishilove: 3:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
TRWCONSULT, I removed your other thread. Please post everything here.

(1) (Reply)

[story] The Perfect Couple (adults Only)…part 5 / Shut Up And Drive (completed short Story) / Top 10 Most Read Magazines In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.