Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,881 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ (4720 Views)

10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage / Air France: What Is Baggage Allowance? / Ba Baggage Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 10:29pm On Jan 04, 2009
~WEnt to Gatwich Airport to drop my sis off who was going on a fully booked flight back home In December 08 - I was gobsmacked to see almost everyone on the checking-In line w/ bags/luggages open wide,reshuffling/ trying to figure out how they're going to get away wth the excess weight!!  shocked shocked

~To make matters worst,the flight wasnt even accepting any Paid excess luggage for those who were willing to pay for their excess!! Curses were flying about,regret for accepting packages/stuff off of people . . .  cheesy Why i never let "people" apart from close m8's who don't impose!! know am travelling Home!!  grin 98% of these people,most of them going home for the x-mas holidays were crotched on the floor,stood looking sooOoo stressed out/Panicing!!

~I stood there watching the distressed passengers weighing,removing,weighing,removing more clothes,shoes . .   cheesy & thought - It Clearly States On The Ticket The Limit Of Baggage Allowance if they're aint sure they can always call the airline to confirm . . . don't these people have a scale at home to weigh their luggages if they arent sure??

~One particularly lady caught my attension,she had a heap of shoes,clothes & whatnot piled high on the floor . . . I observed as she appeared w/ bag she'd bought,it was as big as her suitcase . .  she packed it full w/ her excess  shocked shocked shocked still had more excess luggage!!  shocked  grin

~Most of them my sis included will be there for 2/3 weeks the most,they'd likely not wear all the stuff they packed,yet my people will pack as if going away for a whole year!! grin - I have considered stuff people would have given some people to take home for friends/family . . .even tho Not everyone accepts things from peeps but Jeez wouldnt it be easier to just ship these things ahead instead of stressing over the fees for Excess & the unnecessary stress of Packing,Weighing & Repacking ?!!

1 Like

Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by SeanT21(f): 5:37am On Jan 05, 2009
Shipping it ahead will cost them more money.
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 6:40am On Jan 05, 2009
SeanT21:

Shipping it ahead will cost them more money.

~Hmm undecided about that!! I suppose it depends on what they are shipping!!Air-freight i know can be expensive depending on the weight of the luggage!

~If i wanted to ship a box ahead,it will Cost £ 60 for the smallest box which will hold as much as a regular size suitcase & more!! Its a fixed prize w/ the popular agencies . . You get to buy the size of the box you can affford!
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by landis(m): 9:39am On Jan 05, 2009
we have extended 'family' and believe that anything from abroad is better than at home.

This perception comes thanks to colonialism and immediate leaders that took over after the colonist were chased away.

1. the colonialist created GRA; because the 'natives' were too backward: so native assumes anything from colonist must be good.

2. the new post independence leaders moved into ex-colonist houses and go to their country; they further alienate their 'natives people'

3. the 'new natives that could travel also have to BRING many things back to show their are no longer natives.

And so it shape our lives. The effect of colonialism NEVER go away. It is stays with you forever!
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by damiso(f): 11:08am On Jan 05, 2009
landis:

we have extended 'family' and believe that anything from abroad is better than at home.

This perception comes thanks to colonialism and immediate leaders that took over after the colonist were chased away.

1. the colonialist created GRA; because the 'natives' were too backward: so native assumes anything from colonist must be good.
2. the new post independence leaders moved into ex-colonist houses and go to their country; they further alienate their 'natives people'

3. the 'new natives that could travel also have to BRING many things back to show their are no longer natives.

And so it shape our lives. The effect of colonialism NEVER go away. It is stays with you forever!

Don't entirely agree with you on this.AFRICANS have excess luggage all the time,be it TO and FROM home.Have you not noticed the way custom and qurantine officers target flights from Africa at heathrow.Come and see humongous bags filled with crayfish,dry pepper,pomo,indomie noodles etc(as if they don't sell all this things in london ).My mom really embarasses me with this and we always argue whenever i am travelling because i always insist that i am not going to be stressed before my flight( i hate flying).The enemies that you will make when you insist that your luggage is full nko?Even if you are going to america from London,loads of people will still call you to buy this and that when coming back as there is this impression that things are cheaper in America.So i don't thinks its a colonial thing,its unexplainable(pardon my grammar).I have only had excess luggage once(thanks to my mom) and i have vowed never to be that embarassed again.i can't even try it when travelling with my hubby because them na britico and he will just ignore you at the check in counter because he would have been warningyou from home about what you are carrying that is unnecessary.

I have decided to take M'Chic view by not telling anyone that  i know is a 'luggage pest' when i am travelling.and believe me there are loads of them in my family(oftentimes older relations angry)
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2009
If I was flying to Nigeria, I'd just take slightly under the weight allowance, based on my scale at home.

You scales may not be caliberated like the industrial ones, so best be safe than sorry.
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by iice(f): 3:13pm On Jan 05, 2009
It's the things (gifts etc) that you carry home to family and friends that cause the excess baggage.
Sometimes, it's the things you want to carry home to 'oppress' that cause the excess baggage.

We pretty much weigh our baggage before traveling and make a mental list of what to take out if there happens to be excess baggage.
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 5:25pm On Jan 05, 2009
damiso:

Don't entirely agree with you on this.AFRICANS have excess luggage all the time,be it TO and FROM home.
Have you not noticed the way custom and qurantine officers target flights from Africa at heathrow.Come and see humongous bags filled with crayfish,dry pepper,pomo,indomie noodles etc(as if they don't sell all this things in london ).

~Lol  cheesy i don't get it either . . . "Nothing to Declare" & "Airport" makes an Interesting watch!!

My mom really embarasses me with this and we always argue whenever i am travelling because i always insist that i am not going to be stressed before my flight( i hate flying).The enemies that you will make when you insist that your luggage is full nko?Even if you are going to america from London,loads of people will still call you to buy this and that when coming back as there is this impression that things are cheaper in America.

~SEriously I know right!!!Some people take it Oh so personal if you don't take their stuff/Buy whatever they want you to buy . .most times without even offering you the money YET but imposing anyhow!! "I'll Reimburse You"    angry  grin

So i don't thinks its a colonial thing,its unexplainable(pardon my grammar).I have only had excess luggage once(thanks to my mom) and i have vowed never to be that embarassed again.i can't even try it when travelling with my hubby because them na britico and he will just ignore you at the check in counter because he would have been warningyou from home about what you are carrying that is unnecessary.

I have decided to take M'Chic view by not telling anyone that  i know is a 'luggage pest' when i am travelling.and believe me there are loads of them in my family(oftentimes older relations angry)

~Lol cheesy Damiso . . . .Good thing you're warned before to avoid been left at the check-in counter grin

~It works Not Telling!! . . . cheesy It's instilled in me not to even consider anything near an Excess . . .am always Under weight!!I suppose Family memebers are the hardest to avoid/satisfy at your expense! - SOmehow they get to know you travelled without telling them & they get the hump!! angry
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 5:29pm On Jan 05, 2009
landis:

~You got quite an Interesting Take on it!! . . .Food for thought!!
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 5:31pm On Jan 05, 2009
Siena:

If I was flying to Nigeria, I'd just take slightly under the weight allowance, based on my scale at home.

You scales may not be caliberated like the industrial ones, so best be safe than sorry.

~Soooo True!!Reminds me of cases of the scale at home saying one thing & at the Airport its something else!! hmm sure wipes that self-satisfied look off one's face when the scale at home indicates "Under weight"   grin
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2009
iice:

It's the things (gifts etc) that you carry home to family and friends that cause the excess baggage.
Sometimes, it's the things you want to carry home to 'oppress' that cause the excess baggage.

We pretty much weigh our baggage before traveling and make a mental list of what to take out if there happens to be excess baggage.

~Its the other way round for me,if there's something i really want to take but not sure,i'll carry it w/ me to the AP & after making sure I got lots more space,i just tuck it it before checking in!! cheesy
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by Hauwa1: 10:52pm On Jan 05, 2009
so now what are they going to do with the excess? will the airport official keep the stuff for them?
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by Busybody2(f): 1:04am On Jan 06, 2009
I don't think I have ever packed anything less than 40kg per bag, and I have never been charged excess luggage before. I switch on my charm offensive, as soon as I get to the front desk, and start chatting to them, as if i really care cheesy The reason I get away with it, is because I pack them in medium sized suitcases compared to the XXXL those Naija women carry.

I always stand my ground that I will only weigh my luggage at the check-in desk and would pay the extra if need be, and tell them that afterall the oyinbos with their ski and golf clubs don't get asked to step aside to weigh their luggage before reaching the check-in desk, so why are they singling Naijas out, and this usually shuts them up.

But now that I use a baby buggy when travelling, I carry 5/6 hand luggages as standard, and I bet they weight over 70kg in total, the only thing I don't take when travelling, is the kitchen sink grin grin grin

*Hauwa*:

so now what are they going to do with the excess? will the airport official keep the stuff for them?

Some of them throw it away or give it away free or take it to this excess baggage store to have it stored till they return, for a fee, of course kiss
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by H2O2: 1:05am On Jan 06, 2009
50lbs is not enough. CAn we sign a petition?
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by tope2000(f): 1:06am On Jan 06, 2009
First of all, gotta laugh at the thread buahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin
I have always wondered about the same thing, WHY WHY WHY undecided cheesy

@BUSY_BODY
40kg per bag shocked shocked shocked shocked
Which airline do u use tongue
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by Busybody2(f): 1:15am On Jan 06, 2009
tope2000:

First of all, gotta laugh at the thread buahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin
I have always wondered about the same thing, WHY WHY WHY undecided cheesy

@BUSY_BODY
40kg per bag shocked shocked shocked shocked
Which airline do u use tongue

BA and Virgin still allow 32 kg each, so an extra 8 kg would not kill them o jare grin Sometimes I joke with them that even a size 4 woman is still not happy with her weight, so why are they rubbing in the fact that I am a size 14, that don't they realise that my cloth would weigh more, and that since I weigh more than my sister or whomever I am travelling with, are they going to make us sit on opposite ends of the plane to balance the plane, like they claim they have to do to the luggage, and this usually have them rolling around with laughter grin grin grin
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by tope2000(f): 1:21am On Jan 06, 2009
Busy_body:

BA and Virgin still allow 32 kg each, so an extra 8 kg would not kill them o jare grin Sometimes I joke with them that even a size 4 woman is still not happy with her weight, so why are they rubbing in the fact that I am a size 14, that don't they realise that my cloth would weigh more, and that since I weigh more than my sister or whomever I am travelling with, are they going to make us sit on opposite ends of the plane to balance the plane, like they claim they have to do to the luggage, and this usually have them rolling around with laughter grin grin grin

Rofl . . . . . . . grin cheesy grin cheesy naija people and tactics
No they dont unless you want to pay £35 for each suitcase, its only virgin nigeria that still allows 32kg sad
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by JJYOU: 1:41am On Jan 06, 2009
what i hate most is people you dont know asking to put things in your bag at the airport. some beg like it is the normal thing to do. we travel very lightly. most of the clothes i need are now in naija. women are always something else when it comes to packing stuff. my other half is known to carry stuff that would last 3 months for a weeks journey just in case she needs something
damiso:

Have you not noticed the way custom and qurantine officers target flights from Africa at heathrow.Come and see humongous bags filled with crayfish,dry pepper,pomo,indomie noodles etc(as if they don't sell all this things in london ).b]i can't even try it when travelling with my hubby because them na britico and he will just ignore you at the check in counter because he would have been warningyou from home about what you are carrying that is unnecessary[/b].
please tell your husband he is a very nice man. God bles him
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by tRoOE(f): 7:36am On Jan 06, 2009
I experienced the same thing the last xmas i went to Naija, they made me pay $200 sumthing more for excess baggage and i had to check in my hand luggage becos they claimed it was too heavy.

My next trip for January, I promised myself to pack light just in case, avoid buying things for unnecessary people, in short am not even telling them am coming, tired of them saying, by this by that, na wetin
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:02am On Jan 06, 2009
Busy_body:

I don't think I have ever packed anything less than 40kg per bag, and I have never been charged excess luggage before. I switch on my charm offensive, as soon as I get to the front desk, and start chatting to them, as if i really care cheesy The reason I get away with it, is because I pack them in medium sized suitcases compared to the XXXL those Naija women carry.

I always stand my ground that I will only weigh my luggage at the check-in desk and would pay the extra if need be, and tell them that afterall the oyinbos with their ski and golf clubs don't get asked to step aside to weigh their luggage before reaching the check-in desk, so why are they singling Naijas out, and this usually shuts them up.

But now that I use a baby buggy when travelling, I carry 5/6 hand luggages as standard, and I bet they weight over 70kg in total, the only thing I don't take when travelling, is the kitchen sink grin grin grin

Some of them throw it away or give it away free or take it to this excess baggage store to have it stored till they return, for a fee, of course kiss

~Lol,You make the most of it!

~ I think there's an advantage on How People Pack & having Kids!!Cant chuck stuff in a suitcase,has to be folded,moulded,rolled . .my own packing get too much wahala . . grin

~I belive i have a PHD in Packing!!If i do say so myself!! cheesy My family & M8's will concor!! grin Infact i do their packing Sometimes - I'll do it initially as a Tutorial & say "No next time",watch & learn!! but who sai!! People like F.O.C angry grin
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2009
JJYOU:

what i hate most is people you don't know asking to put things in your bag at the airport. some beg like it is the normal thing to do. we travel very lightly. most of the clothes i need are now in naija. women are always something else when it comes to packing stuff. my other half is known to carry stuff that would last 3 months for a weeks journey just in case she needs something please tell your husband he is a very nice man. God bles him

~Havent experienced this before,heard of people doing it but w/ people they know that are traveling w/ them . . .I will not even consider doing No such thing,even if they beg Till thy Kingdom come!! Never Say Never? . . . Erh[b] NO!![/b] grin

~Cant be dealing w/ the hassle of going thro to collect luggages,then open to give back whatever!! No Can Do!
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:13am On Jan 06, 2009
tRoOE:

I experienced the same thing the last xmas i went to Naija, they made me pay $200 something more for excess baggage and i had to check in my hand luggage because they claimed it was too heavy.

My next trip for January, I promised myself to pack light just in case, avoid buying things for unnecessary people, in short am not even telling them am coming, tired of them saying, by this by that, na wetin

~Lol  cheesy . . . some would even volunteer to send you their shoe size - actual foot drawn on a piece of paper!! grin Both Feet B.T.W  . . Left Foot,Right Foot!! LMAO as if they sell two different types of Sizes if one foot's bigger than the other!! cheesy Just so you get it Right!! *Sigh*
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by damiso(f): 11:50am On Jan 06, 2009
JJYOU:

what i hate most is people you don't know asking to put things in your bag at the airport. some beg like it is the normal thing to do. we travel very lightly. most of the clothes i need are now in naija. women are always something else when it comes to packing stuff. my other half is known to carry stuff that would last 3 months for a weeks journey just in case she needs something[b] please tell your husband he is a very nice man. God bles him[/b]
I will tell him and amen. cheesy

My mum wanted to pull that stunt once at heathrow ,after she had bought like 5 shops and she had already paid for two excess luggage( prior to this we had already done door to door cargo of about 5 boxes) she still had one full box of her clothes.She now started begging me to ask one guy that jejely had one small trolley bag to help check in the bag with his stuff.Then i was not married and the guy was one fine clean looking bobo(the woman wan spoil my fine gal).I flatly refused and told her to ask him herself.She then resorted to that parental blackmail that mothers are best at,'why are you children of today so selfish?'. I just ignored her and told her that i would help her cargo the bag later.She was so MAD grin and she did not talk to me till she went to board.So she now knows that i will not be blackmailed into carrying excess luggage.Its not worth the hassle,besides door to door cargo is just £3/kilo.
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by benincitys(f): 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2009
people thanks for the info .
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by tboy1(m): 1:55pm On Jan 06, 2009
The most annoyin is when people u don't know come to you and ask if they can put some of their stuffs in ur bag. In oct last yr, one lady came to me and without saying anything she just carried my luggage to see how heavy it was and said 'brother abeg is this all you're carrying, please take some of my things for me,abeg'
I just looked at her and smiled without givin her any reply, she knew my answer already. I always carry one suitcase just because i don't want to stress myself during departure in london and arrival in nigeria
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by JJYOU: 7:43pm On Jan 06, 2009
tboy1:

The most annoyin is when people u don't know come to you and ask if they can put some of their stuffs in ur bag. In oct last yr, one lady came to me and without saying anything she just carried my luggage to see how heavy it was and said 'brother abeg is this all you're carrying, please take some of my things for me,abeg'
I just looked at her and smiled without givin her any reply, she knew my answer already. I always carry one suitcase just because i don't want to stress myself during departure in london and arrival in nigeria
i have seen this several times. never do it. i have all the clothes i need back home because i want to travel as light as possible. you must never agree to carry another mans load at airports. it is a very risky thing especially this day and age
damiso:

I will tell him and amen. cheesy

My mum wanted to pull that stunt once at heathrow ,after she had bought like 5 shops and she had already paid for two excess luggage( prior to this we had already done door to door cargo of about 5 boxes) she still had one full box of her clothes.She now started begging me to ask one guy that jejely had one small trolley bag to help check in the bag with his stuff.Then i was not married and the guy was one fine clean looking bobo(the woman wan spoil my fine girl).I flatly refused and told her to ask him herself.She then resorted to that parental blackmail that mothers are best at,'why are you children of today so selfish?'. I just ignored her and told her that i would help her cargo the bag later.She was so MAD grin and she did not talk to me till she went to board.So she now knows that i will not be blackmailed into carrying excess luggage.Its not worth the hassle,besides door to door cargo is just £3/kilo.
your mum is funny
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2009
JJYOU:

i have seen this several times. never do it. i have all the clothes i need back home because i want to travel as light as possible. you must never agree to carry another mans load at airports.
it is a very risky thing especially this day and age

~Couldnt Agree more!!One act of kindness could end up costing your whole life!!
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by Treetop20(m): 3:57am On Jan 07, 2009
i abhor it
all of my uncles, aunties and relatives do this
i cannot understand it! i travel as light as possible
women they buy and buy even those that they don't need
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by tboy1(m): 1:02pm On Jan 07, 2009
The funniest part is my mums expression when i get to nigeria with only one suitcase.
First thing she'll say is 'why r u wasting money and not using all ur free luggages, see the way you've wasted everything now'. . . she acts like you've stolen her money cheesy grin cheesy
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by Hauwa1: 5:40pm On Jan 07, 2009
tRoOE,
that was costly 200 dollars, wow
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:45am On Jan 08, 2009
tboy1:

The funniest part is my mums expression when i get to nigeria with only one suitcase.
First thing she'll say is 'why r u wasting money and not using all ur free luggages, see the way you've wasted everything now'. . . she acts like you've stolen her money cheesy grin cheesy

~ cheesy Aaaw Bless!
Re: ~ What Is It With Africans & Excess Baggage? ~ by jaybee3(m): 8:16am On Jan 08, 2009
Top this, having to pay $300 for someone else's load (Mr nice guy uhn?.
Had to bring stuffs (u know them useless ones that can be bought @ a corner shop near u and I in london town) for my senior sisters (I av 5 of them here). The driver had already dropped me off @ MMA airport and headed back for IB town when it certainly hit me right where it hurts when I found out the cost of having an extra bag on a klm flight back to london. I was so mad that I contemplated dashing out the foodstuffs right @ d airport but that plan was abandoned since I didn't c any takers.
Finally paid the money and the last annoying part is having to go drop 'em things off on my arrival in london.
It's now a definite no no for;
Please can you help me bring dis and dat.

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Those Seeking Help On Belgium Visa***** / Dubai Imposes Visit Visa Curbs On Six Countries / Jacky Hathiramani, Dana Air CEO Lauds Commitment By Aviation Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.