Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy (5229 Views)

The Carpenter, The Witch And The Mysterious Mirrow / The Great Hunt: A Sneak Peek / E. Fantasy(short Stories) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 9:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
To Hunt A Level Four - Part 7

Copyright 2015
by Kachi Ugo

When he finally regained his wits, he found himself on the floor and a blade pointed to his forehead.

Femi heard a wail proceed from his lips. It was a pathetic sound that remained aloft in the small room. The lady sniggered and shoved the blade to his chin. Femi’s body trembled at the mortal cold touch of the bright blade and let it raise his head such that he gazed upon this beautiful death. For she was both beautiful and deathly.

Her face must have been divinely sculptured, no doubt created to lead the legendary amazons. Her skin was pale and smooth, a supple combination that called and pleaded and appealed for a touch or at least a longing for a touch. Her lips were thin and pressed into a line, but they were luscious. They were blood red. Her eyes…her eyes were a startling hazel.

Scarlett snarled deeply. Yet, twisting her face in the most grotesque of ways did nothing to ruffle her splendor. She had a powerful energy revolving her being, crashing into the walls of the room, and reverberating back upon them. She was in control. She was in charge. She was a senior witch hunter.

She looked deep into his eyes. “You failed,” she whispered, like the whisperings of lovers in the night. “You have failed your sacred duty. The Conclave has sent me to clean things up.”

“Is that why you came?” Femi’s hurt had evolved to anger. “To rub in my failure and then kill me?”

She gave a sarcastic smile. The whole room lit up like the first few minutes of dawn as her lips revealed a perfect set of white teeth. She descended to her knees—a fluid and graceful motion that could have fooled the eyes for the pleasure it gave. There was an erotic softness to her eyes, to her gaze, and to the way she held her lips. “If I wanted to kill you,” she breathed, causing Femi to pull nearer to hear, “you’d already be dead.” She rose to her feet, turned, and walked back towards the mirror.

Now that she wasn’t so close, Femi realized he was short of breath. He sucked in a lungful of God’s precious air and let his heart calm down, all the while observing the witch hunter. Femi felt two emotions towards her. Envy and yearning. She possessed an uncanny audaciousness that bothered on impudence. The way she strode, you could have mistaken her for a king—not a queen, but a king! A brash king. Yet, there was no atom of masculinity to her. He found himself envying these qualities and yet yearning for the girl that she was.

Femi was close to twenty six and had no person in his life. It was a cold and dark place to be, and it was where Femi had made a home.

“Why have you come, then? Where have you come from? You are not from these parts are you?”

Scarlett stood before the mirror gazing around the frame as if observing the complexities of the artlessly designed glass. Whatever had piqued her interest about the mirror, it could not be observed by the mere eyes.

“Where I come from is none of your business,” replied Scarlett. “Why I’ve come is to kill the level four that you failed to kill.”

Femi scrambled to his feet. “Hey, I was told it was a level one. I certainly wasn’t expecting a level four! Someone messed up at the Conclave.”

Scarlett swung around to face him and took two quick steps towards him. Femi took an equal number of steps backwards and tried to force his body out of the fits of trembles that had wrapped around him.

“Are you listening to yourself?” She had a look of disgust on her face. “There’s a powerful witch running amok and you’re playing the blame game?” She drew nearer. “You know why I attacked you? It was to test you. To see if you were worthy of a promotion. But you failed. And Simon’s request will be denied.”

For a few seconds, they glared at each other.

“The Conclave has placed you under my direct command. You will do whatever I say.”

A spirit of anger fell upon Femi’s heart. He felt a great urge to grab a hold of the girl’s head and smash it into the wall. But even that couldn’t have quenched his fury. He bit his lips. “What do you need?”

“Look,” Scarlett started after a deep breath. Her demeanor seemed to have softened. “There was a breach at the Great White Temple. You were never meant to go up against a level four. You could have been killed. I’m sorry about that. But I need to locate this level four and find out what evil plan it has.”

Femi nodded. “How can I help?”

“Last night, when you were attacked, what did you see? What did it look like?”

“Nothing,” replied Femi. “It was definitely not human. But it had the form of human and was cloaked in a thick darkness that covered the whole street.”

“What?” Scarlett must have meant that as a question to him, however, it came out as a whisper and her eyes had already lost focus. She was in shock.

“Why? What kind of creature is this?” Fear taunted Femi’s heart. He furiously fought to keep from falling into it.

Scarlett’s gaze slid to him. “Open your scriptures to Psalms ninety one and verse five and six, and read aloud.” Then she turned and looked away.

Femi brought out the black book and searched out the passage. He felt like there was a swirl of utter despair around him, and that at any moment, he would fall in, never to see the light of life again. His finger settled on the scripture and he read. “Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

Femi heard it—an almost imperceptible sigh escape the mouth of the red draped figure before him. Her shoulders were slack in resignation. Her head a little hung in submission. “The world is a very dangerous place, Femi,” she said wistfully, “a very dangerous place.” Her tone carried a hopelessness that made Femi want to cry out in distress.

“What does that mean?” Femi asked.

Still backing him, she said, “There are four of them. Four spawns of a level four. Terror. Arrow. Pestilence. Destruction. You fought Pestilence, the one that walketh in darkness.” She was quiet for a while, then she added, “you shouldn’t be alive. They want you alive. Which means whatever they’re planning, you’re an important piece.”

“How can that be?” Femi replied, few seconds from irreparable panic, “the witch said my living or dying was of no consequence to their plan.”

“Does it surprise you? Are they not children of the one who is father of all lies?”

There was a silence.

“There’s one more thing.” Scarlett turned.

“What?” asked Femi.

“These four: Terror, Arrow, Pestilence, Destruction—they are related. Pestilence and Terror are night creatures and so they only operate in the night. Arrow and Destruction are day creatures and so they only operate in the day. When one comes—”

“Others will follow,” Femi cut her off with a whisper. “Terror, Arrow, and Destruction.”

She nodded. “There will be deaths. Deaths on an unimaginable scale. We can’t let that happen. I can’t let that happen.” Her resolution was evident both in her tone and in her eyes.

“How can we stop them, then?”

Scarlett shook her head. “You don’t seem to understand.” She came up so close to him that he could perceive the alluring freshness in her lustrous black hair. “Going up against any of these dark spawns is suicidal. We go after the level four. We kill her, and they’ll vanish.”

“Simon says the level four witch went to Enugu. But Enugu is a large place. It’s like finding a drop of water in an ocean.”

Scarlett smiled. “I know a guy.”

That was all she got out of her mouth before the door broke free of its hinges with an explosive sound and flew into the room. Scarlett jerked him down in a duck as the door tore over their heads and smashed into the mirror.

A deep laughter rumbled into the room from the adjoining parlor. Smoke flowed in overlapping waves into the room and soon, they were engulfed in a flood of white smoke. A figure stood in the doorway and remained. From this figure proceeded forth another deep and dreadful laughter.

“Who are you?” Scarlett’s voice was hard and strong, but her hands still gripped Femi’s body, and they trembled with fear.

The figure came into the room and let loose a guttural laughter that shook every bone of Femi’s body. It was fear unspeakable—full of terror!

“I am the Destruction that wasteth at noonday. I am the father of Pandemonium, and Chaos and Mayhem are my children. All die before me and behind me there’s only grief and sorrow. Darkness is my birthright, eternal sadness for menfolk is my earnest desire and sole purpose. I am the author of fear and the messenger of death. None can stand before me. No life can exist in my presence. I have come to finish what Pestilence started. And I shall finish what Pestilence started.” He laughed again. And again. And again—an unending melody of their departure from this life. The white smoke had thickened such that nothing was visible save the figure of a man, which man was no man, but Destruction that spoke with a deep rumble of a voice. “For who can stand before Destruction? Hath God not said it? Dust ye came from, to dust ye shall return. I am come to return you to dust. And so shall it be, that I return you to dust.” He laughed them to scorn—harshly, loudly, and harrowingly.
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 23, 2015
KachiUgo:
Yeah, I checked that out in a Dictionary before I posted that part. As it turns out, a bike is a vehicle, so is a car, a lorry, and a bicycle. Thanks for pointing that out, though. And thanks for reading!
ok boss;but i still think u cqn't drive a bike.it shld rather be ride a bike.
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by Meel: 11:17am On Feb 28, 2015
Waiting for update o
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 6:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
Meel:
Waiting for update o
Soon, Meel - Soon
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 9:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
To Hunt A Level Four – Part 8

Copyright 2015
by Kachi Ugo

“For who can stand before Destruction? Hath God not said it? Dust ye came from, to dust ye shall return. I am come to return you to dust. And so shall it be, that I return you to dust.” He laughed them to scorn—a sound most loud, most harsh, and most harrowing.

O for a thousand tongues to tell of the great terror that pervaded Femi’s soul! Terror so great that he did not realize when Scarlett wriggled his right arm to regain his attention. The mere proclamation of Destruction had forced upon himself a depression so great he struggled ten thousand leagues beneath its eternal weight. Indeed who could stand before Destruction? Indeed, who?

“Snap out of it, Femi!” Scarlett roared, a speck of desperation tainting her voice.

“Leave him!” Destruction boomed in reply. He smashed one feet into the ground and an earthquake immeasurable on the Richter scale shook the building. Splinters flew as darts everywhere. Loose cement fell to the ground. A gaping crack ran the length of the wall. The house divided along its center and separating, it revealed a deep chasm from which white smoke poured into the world. All these happened in a heartbeat, in a flurry that was beyond the grasp of the human mind. One moment, the house was whole, the next, it was a ruin—the result of a devastating war.

“Fear ye not my majesty?” His voice grew more enraged with each utterance. “Are you not terrified by my presence? Worship ye not the magnitude of my power?” Destruction laughed again and Femi could feel himself slinking back into shock.

Scarlett sprung to her feet. At first, she whirled around in the dense white smoke, which had placed in the realm of the unknown the exact location of Destruction. But then, she positioned herself in the direction where his voice had last reached to them from. All Femi could perceive of the hunter were her fists, which were symbols of her fearlessness—something Femi had kicked to the curb the moment Destruction made his appearance.

“He that dweleth in the secret place of the most high,” she said with a little caution, “shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”

Destruction roared in laughter—so hard, that a slight tremor developed in the earth. “What is it ye folks say nowadays—are you kidding me?” He laughed hard again.

Not deterred, Scarlett continued. Femi could feel her power build. “I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in HIM will I trust.”

“And where is He now?” Destruction interrupted his fits of laughter to proclaim. Shortly after, he continued. Femi could imagine him laughing on his belly, enraptured in boisterous mirth. However, he felt like something was changing in the room, insidiously, surreptitiously, unrevealed and covered in a holy darkness, that change flourished.

Scarlett continued, “Surely He shall deliver me from the snare of the fowler and from the noisome pestilence.”

Destruction choked. There was a startling silence. A wind began to stir in the room.

Scarlett’s voice took on more strength and conviction. “He shall cover me with His feathers, and under His wings shall I trust: His truth shall be my shield and my buckler.”

“No—wait! What are you doing?” Fear filled Destruction’s voice.

“I shall not be afraid for the Terror by night—”

“No! Stop that!”—the wind grew to a noisome whirl.

“—nor for the Arrow that flieth by day.”

Destruction screamed in anger and fear and marched towards them. The smoke parted his way with forceful exertion, however, an invisible force got a hold of him and held him bound in unseen fetters. He struggled and experienced no avail.

Scarlett’s voice rose to a bellow. “Nor for the Pestilence that walketh in the darkness.”

“Wait! Speak it not!”

“Nor for the Destruction that wasteth at noonday!”

The roar of the hurricane in the room drowned her last words. The hurricane swept Destruction off the ground. The smoke, though it still veiled everything perceivable by sight, swung around Destruction with the speed and violence of the winds.

“I charge you in the name of God: be gone!

The hurricane leapt to put into execution Scarlett’s command. It sprung off the ground and carried Destruction, who still screamed—bound—in fury, out of the room. Soon after, the smoke dissipated. Soon after, Scarlett collapsed into Femi’s hands, weak and falling unconscious. Her face had wetted with perspiration; every muscle was slack as though she was on the brink of death. The very breath of her nostrils were shallow and hot.

For a moment, Femi shifted his gaze from her pale face and swept in his surroundings. The room had totally cleared of the smoke: it was a sight of true and utter destruction, a scene of profound desolation. The house had separated along an axis less than four feet from him, revealing the parlor, the compound, and the street outside through a gaping crack. The crack ran for at least twenty feet into the ground, forming a chasm. Loose sand and rubble fell to the ground at the corners; the ceiling threatened to cave in. It would, Femi noted, in a few minutes.

Femi looked back down at Scarlett and saw that she had been looking on him the whole time. She smiled, her eyes drooping. “Twenty six, Allen Avenue. Take us there now.” She paused. Femi saw from the tightness at the corner of her eyes that each word she spoke required an exertion of strength. “Ask for Jonathan,” she breathed, “he can locate the witch and you can help him. Destruction will be back.” As the last words left her mouth, so did she live the world of the conscious: with the soft exhalation of breath.

Like, Share, Tweet…

Don't know where to start? Try here: http://kachiugo.com/2015/02/14/to-hunt-a-level-four-part-1/
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by Nostradamus: 12:31am On Mar 02, 2015
KachiUgo:
To Hunt A Level Four – Part 8

Copyright 2015
by Kachi Ugo

“For who can stand before Destruction? Hath God not said it? Dust ye came from, to dust ye shall return. I am come to return you to dust. And so shall it be, that I return you to dust.” He laughed them to scorn—a sound most loud, most harsh, and most harrowing.

O for a thousand tongues to tell of the great terror that pervaded Femi’s soul! Terror so great that he did not realize when Scarlett wriggled his right arm to regain his attention. The mere proclamation of Destruction had forced upon himself a depression so great he struggled ten thousand leagues beneath its eternal weight. Indeed who could stand before Destruction? Indeed, who?

“Snap out of it, Femi!” Scarlett roared, a speck of desperation tainting her voice.

“Leave him!” Destruction boomed in reply. He smashed one feet into the ground and an earthquake immeasurable on the Richter scale shook the building. Splinters flew as darts everywhere. Loose cement fell to the ground. A gaping crack ran the length of the wall. The house divided along its center and separating, it revealed a deep chasm from which white smoke poured into the world. All these happened in a heartbeat, in a flurry that was beyond the grasp of the human mind. One moment, the house was whole, the next, it was a ruin—the result of a devastating war.

“Fear ye not my majesty?” His voice grew more enraged with each utterance. “Are you not terrified by my presence? Worship ye not the magnitude of my power?” Destruction laughed again and Femi could feel himself slinking back into shock.

Scarlett sprung to her feet. At first, she whirled around in the dense white smoke, which had placed in the realm of the unknown the exact location of Destruction. But then, she positioned herself in the direction where his voice had last reached to them from. All Femi could perceive of the hunter were her fists, which were symbols of her fearlessness—something Femi had kicked to the curb the moment Destruction made his appearance.

“He that dweleth in the secret place of the most high,” she said with a little caution, “shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”

Destruction roared in laughter—so hard, that a slight tremor developed in the earth. “What is it ye folks say nowadays—are you kidding me?” He laughed hard again.

Not deterred, Scarlett continued. Femi could feel her power build. “I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in HIM will I trust.”

“And where is He now?” Destruction interrupted his fits of laughter to proclaim. Shortly after, he continued. Femi could imagine him laughing on his belly, enraptured in boisterous mirth. However, he felt like something was changing in the room, insidiously, surreptitiously, unrevealed and covered in a holy darkness, that change flourished.

Scarlett continued, “Surely He shall deliver me from the snare of the fowler and from the noisome pestilence.”

Destruction choked. There was a startling silence. A wind began to stir in the room.

Scarlett’s voice took on more strength and conviction. “He shall cover me with His feathers, and under His wings shall I trust: His truth shall be my shield and my buckler.”

“No—wait! What are you doing?” Fear filled Destruction’s voice.

“I shall not be afraid for the Terror by night—”

“No! Stop that!”—the wind grew to a noisome whirl.

“—nor for the Arrow that flieth by day.”

Destruction screamed in anger and fear and marched towards them. The smoke parted his way with forceful exertion, however, an invisible force got a hold of him and held him bound in unseen fetters. He struggled and experienced no avail.

Scarlett’s voice rose to a bellow. “Nor for the Pestilence that walketh in the darkness.”

“Wait! Speak it not!”

“Nor for the Destruction that wasteth at noonday!”

The roar of the hurricane in the room drowned her last words. The hurricane swept Destruction off the ground. The smoke, though it still veiled everything perceivable by sight, swung around Destruction with the speed and violence of the winds.

“I charge you in the name of God: be gone!

The hurricane leapt to put into execution Scarlett’s command. It sprung off the ground and carried Destruction, who still screamed—bound—in fury, out of the room. Soon after, the smoke dissipated. Soon after, Scarlett collapsed into Femi’s hands, weak and falling unconscious. Her face had wetted with perspiration; every muscle was slack as though she was on the brink of death. The very breath of her nostrils were shallow and hot.

For a moment, Femi shifted his gaze from her pale face and swept in his surroundings. The room had totally cleared of the smoke: it was a sight of true and utter destruction, a scene of profound desolation. The house had separated along an axis less than four feet from him, revealing the parlor, the compound, and the street outside through a gaping crack. The crack ran for at least twenty feet into the ground, forming a chasm. Loose sand and rubble fell to the ground at the corners; the ceiling threatened to cave in. It would, Femi noted, in a few minutes.

Femi looked back down at Scarlett and saw that she had been looking on him the whole time. She smiled, her eyes drooping. “Twenty six, Allen Avenue. Take us there now.” She paused. Femi saw from the tightness at the corner of her eyes that each word she spoke required an exertion of strength. “Ask for Jonathan,” she breathed, “he can locate the witch and you can help him. Destruction will be back.” As the last words left her mouth, so did she live the world of the conscious: with the soft exhalation of breath.

Like, Share, Tweet…

Don't know where to start? Try here: http://kachiugo.com/2015/02/14/to-hunt-a-level-four-part-1/
update pls
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 3:37pm On Mar 02, 2015
Nostradamus:
update pls
Hi! I'm working hard on the update
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by lenmafon: 4:25pm On Mar 06, 2015
hi op nice story but dont u think femi's book should be white instead of black in color? i like ur story and patiently waiting for an update. cheers cheesy
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 9:54am On Mar 07, 2015
lenmafon:
hi op nice story but dont u think femi's book should be white instead of black in color? i like ur story and patiently waiting for an update. cheers cheesy
It's interesting that you should say that lenmafon, because I never really did think too long about the color of the book--it just sort of came to my head as did the name 'Femi'! However, I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter--why do you think the book should be white?
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by lenmafon: 8:48pm On Mar 07, 2015
KachiUgo:
It's interesting that you should say that lenmafon, because I never really did think too long about the color of the book--it just sort of came to my head as did the name 'Femi'! However, I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter--why do you think the book should be white?

well since the book contains some good supernatural weapon, i only felt that its color should be white since white color stands for good while black ehm ehm ehm ehm.. undecided u know stands for any thing evil or bad just my own thoughts o! please. where is the update na?

1 Like

Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 10:16pm On Mar 07, 2015
To Hunt A Level Four - Part 9

Copyright 2015
By Kachi Ugo

Dedicated to lenmafon
...for her astute observation

As the last words left her mouth, so did she live the world of the conscious: with the soft exhalation of breath.

Femi laid her head to rest on the floor and sprung from his feet. He jumped over the chasm and made his way carefully to the parlor. Save for the deep trench in the floor, which revealed dark earth, and the crack in the wall, which revealed the street, his sitting room seemed untouched by Destruction’s presence. Femi located the keys to his 2009 Toyota Land Rover. He ran out the house, down the side of the building to where his car was parked, along the length of the building. From this side of the house, it didn’t look like anything had happened to the building. The vanilla paint hadn’t even cracked.

Femi entered the black car, powered it up, and drove it to the front of the house. He ran back into the white room, where he hoisted Scarlett’s form onto his shoulder and carried her into the car. When she was lying safely in the back of his car, he went back into his house to see what he could salvage from the mess.

Rubble littered the floor. Femi retrieved a black backpack from his room, which seemed to be intact, and packed a lot of money from his safe. He also packed two changes of clothes, his cell phone, a tooth brush, and his 9mm shot gun. His progress back to his car was slow as he took time to espy properly, the extent of damage Destruction had caused to the building.

It was extensive. Through the crack, he could see all the way across to the very end of the building, where a smaller bungalow was built.

Back outside, people had begun to notice the structural changes made to the building. Femi got into his car and drove out the compound. As he navigated the highway, he couldn’t help but feel that he was being followed. Two hours after Scarlett had given him the address, he got to Lagos Island, where the address Scarlett had given him was located. He met another traffic gridlock which he had to grind through before he exited the highway into a residential neighborhood.

It was a church.

It was a structure that spoke volumes. It spoke of a time lost, when it had hosted hundreds, who would come to worship God. It spoke of a time when children danced around its now desolate compound. It spoke of a time when the leaves where green and the windows gleamed in the rising sun. Now, it was a shadow of the past. A mere ghost no one sees or recognizes.

The church’s white walls had undergone a most horrid metamorphosis to the incredibly repulsive black and grey it now was. The structure seemed to be composed solely of ply wood that had rotted to the very core, hence, threatening a collapse. The yard around it had four spiny trees whose branches resembled the tentacle of a giant malevolent creature, whose purpose was to prey on the dying and the old. On this yard, black, crispy-looking leaves carpeted the floor so that it made the church look like a celestial dark house.

Femi would have drove on and forgotten the abandoned church had he not noticed Simon and two other strange men walking up the small path towards the old front door. They seemed to be doing so in a manner suggestive of secrecy. Their furtive eyes swept the surrounding houses and the street. Simon’s eyes fell on Femi’s passing vehicle, but since the vehicle was passing and its occupants prevented from view by the darkened windows, it didn’t hold his gaze for too long.

Femi made a circuit round the church and came to its door once more. By this time, the three men were gone. He pulled into the driveway and parked beside the church. Gently pulling Scarlett’s unconscious body from the car and placing it on his shoulders, he carried her to the front door and pushed it open. The moment the doors swung open, five bright blades were thrust to his face.

“Wait!”

The blades held, a fraction of a second from piercing his throat. Femi let out the air that had snagged somewhere along his respiratory tract. They looked young, and they all wore black robes, meaning they were senior hunters. Two were Caucasian males while the remaining three were black; though, Femi couldn’t tell where they were from. They looked like foreigners.

“He’s one of us.” Femi immediately recognized Simon’s voice, even before he saw him walk down the aisle to the door. The hunters scattered and disappeared back into the shadows.

Simon heaved a sigh and shot him a sharp gaze. Then he looked to the figure he carried and his look of irritation became overshadowed by fear.

“Scarlett,” he whispered and rushed to the door, where he checked her pulse for a moment. While he still ascertained her state of health, he said, “What happened? I told you to stay out of trouble.”

“She found me,” Femi replied. “We got attacked by Destruction.”

As if he had been hit by a ball, Simon jolted backwards a few feet. He glared at Simon for a full minute, then said, “Follow me. She’s barely alive.”

Femi hoisted her onto his shoulders properly and started down the aisle after Simon. The church auditorium was quite narrow. It had only one central aisle and four columns of pews. Much of the sides of the hall was hidden in the dark, which was where the hunters probably inhabited so as to observe what went on outside the building. Down the aisle to the podium and beyond, they came to a non-descript and almost imperceptible door by the side of the altar. There, they were met by a solitary figure, who sat before the door. He seemed to be in some form of trance as he had his head bowed.

“David,” Simon called.

The man snapped up and on seeing Femi, he shot to his feet. “Who is he? And who has he got on his shoulders?” His eyes glared with murderous intensity.

Like, Share, Tweet…
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by Lordfave(m): 6:53am On Mar 24, 2015
Guy update plz am so following diz
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lordfave:
Guy update plz am so following diz
Sure! Soon! I had to take some time off to finish writing the story; I'm done, so you can expect an update very soon
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by Lordfave(m): 5:04pm On Mar 26, 2015
KachiUgo:
Sure! Soon! I had to take some time off to finish writing the story; I'm done, so you can expect an update very soon
Alright
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 10:12pm On Mar 27, 2015
To Hunt A Level Four - Part 10

Copyright 2015
By Kachi Ugo

Dedicated to Lordfave
...for bringing the witch hunters back

Simon, calm, replied, “This is Femi. He is a junior witch hunter. And on his shoulder is Scarlett. She seems to be badly hurt.”

“Scarlett?” David whispered. He slowly came to Femi and gently shifted her weight to his arms. “What happened?” David carried the body back to the door, where Simon opened it and they trooped into a dark and wet hallway.

“We were attacked by Destruction,” Femi replied. They passed an open doorway. Through this doorway, Femi saw, for a moment, a narrow long room, a narrow long table, and a number of middle aged people sitting around this table and deliberating in hushed, almost dreadful, tones a matter that was of the utmost importance.

Femi’s attention was called back to his explanation by Simon’s awry look and he continued, “Scarlett quoted about four, five verses of the scriptures to banish Destruction. After the creature was banished, she fainted, though not before telling me to come here searching for a Jonathan.”

They passed through another small door and came into a room. There was a bed and a table and a torch that lit the compartment. Aside from these, the room was empty. David laid the body on the bed.

“What does she want Jonathan to do?” David asked.

“She said he can locate the level four and that I can help him.”

David’s eyes widened. He looked at Scarlett’s form on the bed for a short while and whispered, “I told you I wasn’t sure it would work.” Then he looked at Femi. “I’m going to need a sample of your blood.”

Before Femi could protest, Simon said, “He’s Jonathan. If Scarlett says he can locate the witch, he can. Do what he says.”

Meanwhile, David (or Jonathan?) had retrieved a syringe from the drawer beneath the table and now waited for Femi’s response.

“What’s my blood got to do with the witch?”

“Simple. When the witch used her powers on you, she left traces of herself within your blood. I’m going to try and isolate these traces and use it to locate the witch.”

Femi stretched his hands before the man and let him slid the needle into his vain. The sharp sting was momentary and bright red blood pumped into the tube. David Jonathan removed the syringe and placed a piece of cotton wool on the spot. “Here, hold this,” he said.

Femi’s thumb pressed on the wool.

“Come,” Simon said, guiding him towards the door. “Let’s allow him work.”

Femi cast one last look on Scarlett, then he exited the room and trod down the wet hallway. They didn’t begin to talk until they were back in the church auditorium. They both sat on the first pew.

“Scarlett is twenty two. She’s part Nigerian and part American. Her mother was an indigene of Abia state who married a missionary from Boston. She was born in America and lived there most of her life. Two days ago, she came to Nigeria and warned us of a threat, one that we ignored because it was unsubstantiated. However, now that it is certain that a threat exists such as we’ve never dealt with before, the Elders, who you saw in that small room along the hallway, are deciding our next course of action.”

Femi shrugged. “Is she going to be alright?”

Simon seemed a little taken back by his comment. “Who?”

“Scarlett.”

“Oh, Scarlett,” Simon cleared his throat. “She should be. She’s just exhausted by that demonstration of power. It was much more than she was capable of. It’s a surprise that it even actually worked.” Simon cast a questioning gaze on Femi. “She must really feel something for you.”

Femi’s heart jerked once. “What … feeling?”

Simon shrugged. “You know, our greatest powers are manifested out of our desperate need to protect the ones we love. This is a lesson you must learn, Femi. Love can multiply a witch hunters powers by many folds. This may have been what happened with you and Scarlett.”

Femi still found it difficult to believe. As far as he was concerned, Scarlett detested him. They had only come to a compromise because they had a common enemy. The enemy of his enemy was his friend, this was their MO.

David came through the door. “She’s coming around,” he announced. “And I’ve located the witch. She’s in a village called Odim, somewhere in Nsukka.”

There was a sudden sound like an arrow zipping through the air, except it was multiplied, in terror, a hundred folds. The door imploded into the church with the force and sound of a detonated bomb. Simon and Femi shot to their feet and swung to face the open doorway. The flood of light chased to inexistence the shadows and darkness that had inhabited the sides and corners of the hall, revealing not five but fifteen senior witch hunters, whose blades were already blazing bright. Simon and Jonathan stood their grounds and watched the open doorway, however Femi unconsciously backpedaled towards the small door, overrun with a feeling of insufferable dread.

Like the shock-wave preceding a nuclear explosion, a horrific laughter burst into the church, sending the seven witch hunters closest to the door into the air. They were smashed into the pews by the same force that had picked them, either stunned or dead. The laughter came again: every furniture around the door exploded, sending sharp projectiles through the air. Four witch hunters failed to deflect the shrapnel and perished where they stood.

Then a figure emerged from the flood of light and stood in the doorway. It stood as a man, his features shrouded by the light.

“What are you?” yelled Simon in unruffled defiance.

“I am the Arrow that flieth by day,” was all he said before he vaulted into the air.

I'm done with this story and just recently started writing Biohazard: Book 2. That's taking a lot of my time right now, but I'll try to update more frequently. Witch hunters (the thoroughly edited version) will be available for download soon, though. Thanks, guyz!

PS: I'd love to know what you think... Let the comments rip!

1 Like

Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 12:13pm On Apr 05, 2015
I'll be updating soon, watch out!
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by lenmafon: 12:46pm On Apr 05, 2015
will be patiently waiting sire cool
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 10:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
To Hunt A Level Four - Final Part

Copyright 2015
By Kachi Ugo

Before they could bring their heads to follow his trajectory, he had already landed in the left center of the room, destroying the three hunters that stood there.

Jonathan grabbed Simon’s robes. “Get him and Scarlett out of here and warn the Elders. I won’t hold him back for long.” He let go and leapt into the air. Arrow leapt as well and they met in the middle with a sharp clash, an explosion, and a wail of pain: Arrow’s or Jonathan’s, Femi could not tell, because he was already bounding down the corridor to Scarlett’s room.

Simon stopped by the small room where the Elders met. “Go on,” he said to Femi. “I’ll meet you in just a second.”

There was a terrible explosion that rocked the whole church.

Femi burst through the door. Scarlett was astir. The red robe was gone, leaving her wearing a pair of leather pants, a white vest, and a black leather jacket. She stared at him a little surprised. “What’s happening outside?” Her voice was weak.

“Arrow has come. Jonathan is keeping him engaged until we can get the heck out of here.”

Her face turned ashen. “We’ve got to help him, then,” she muttered and started for the door.

Femi interposed himself in her path. “No we don’t. I know where the witch is located. Stop the witch and they’ll vanish, remember?”

Scarlett frowned, but she said nothing. She turned around in the room, her eyes scanning the barren walls with all concentration. Then her eyes fell on a door that was hidden from all save the most curious of glances.

“An emergency escape route,” Scarlett said and ambled towards the squat door. She crouched and reached for the door. Her hands punched the door and it fell inwards, revealing a dark, waist high passageway.

She was about to crawl into the opening when Femi said, “Aren’t we going to wait for Simon?”

There was another thunderous explosion that had them ducking instinctively.

“Scarlett pushed stray hair away from her face. “There’s another door just like this in the Elders’ room. Maybe he’s gone out with them.” And she was gone through the passage.

Femi took one last look at the closed door, hoping Simon would come through. He tried to listen for his footsteps. What he heard were yells and screams of pain. And a throaty laughter that was Arrow’s.

Femi ducked in the secret door and crawled along. The floor was sandy and the air was musty. He could hear Scarlett’s labored breathing out in the distance. He followed the sound until he bumped into her.

“Watch it!” Scarlett grumbled and continued on ahead. She stopped and Femi heard her fist strike something and light flooded the enclosure. Scarlett crawled into the open; Femi followed suit. They came into the backyard of the church.

“What next?” Femi said. He looked back and saw a column of smoke rising from the roof of the building. Aside from that, there was no other proof that their lives were in danger.

“Let’s go,” Scarlett said.

Femi glanced at her and saw she had her hands stretched towards him.

“Take my hands,” she said. “I’m going to try and get us out of here.”

“No way,” Femi said. “You’re too weak for that.”

Scarlett frowned. “You don’t have a choice, Femi.”

Then Simon came through the passageway. The moment he spotted them, a grave sound came to their ears. It was a shrill and dreadful sound.
It was Arrow calling out for them.

Simon ran over to them. He nodded at Scarlett. Scarlett nodded back. Then he joined hands with her and motioned for Femi to join hands. Femi joined and completed the circle.

Simon was panting, but then he silenced his breathing and shot Femi a wry smile. “This might be a shock.”

Then Femi felt a strong wave of nausea descend on him. His head spun so fast the whole world blurred. As the blurry world spun, the church exploded into shards of wood and cement, and a figure emerged out of the commotion and approached them with quick, long steps. Then, Femi collapsed to the floor and lost consciousness.

Like, Share...

1 Like

Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by lenmafon: 1:21pm On Apr 09, 2015
thanks 4 de update and pls can u make it regular? that way we wont be lost completely when reading a new update undecided
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 8:22pm On Apr 11, 2015
lenmafon:
thanks 4 de update and pls can u make it regular? that way we wont be lost completely when reading a new update undecided

Might not be able to do that. The book is already published. But I could send you a free copy. PM me your email.
Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by KachiUgo(m): 8:26pm On Apr 11, 2015
Ooops! I published the book! That means no more updates, sorry.

Download Your Copy At:
http://kachiugo.com

I'll be starting a new story here that I'm so excited about. I have no intention of publishing it so I'll finish it here at Nairaland. Cheers!

Re: The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:05pm On Apr 12, 2015

(1) (2)

A Carnage Before Dawn: A Historical Novel On Nigeria's First Coup D'etat / Recommended BECE Literature Books For 2014 Exam / The Lost Innocence (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.