Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

DAVID BECKHAM Launched Project 7 Initiative - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / DAVID BECKHAM Launched Project 7 Initiative (507 Views)

Healthy Living With Amara Kanu Launched (Photos) / David Beckham's 40 Tattoos & The Meaning Behind Each Art (PHOTOS) / David Beckham's 40 Special Must-see Tattoos & The Meaning Behind Each Art (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

DAVID BECKHAM Launched Project 7 Initiative by oshoademola1(m): 11:43pm On Feb 14, 2015
As many as 15 million children are caught up in violent conflicts in the Central African Republic, Iraq, South Sudan, Syria, Ukraine and in the Occupied Palestinian territory – including those displaced in their own countries or living as refugees outside their homeland, according to UNICEF.

Children are also at serious risk from a wide range of factors beyond immediate emergencies. 168 million across the globe are engaged in child labour and many others are victims of sexual violence, trafficking and female genital mutilation.
David Beckham, an International football icon, was appointed as United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Goodwill Ambassador to assist UNICEF fulfil its mission of assisting children all over the world.

In his capacity to help children to fulfil their dreams, he joined UNICEF to raise awareness on major dangers facing children – including malnutrition, Ebola and AIDS – and has travelled with UNICEF to Sierra Leone, South Africa, Thailand and most recently the Philippines, where he helped raise vital funds for children affected by Typhoon Haiyan.

Recently, he launched a ground breaking Initiative called 7.The 7 was in honour of Beckham’s famed Jersey number. The initiative will inaugurate a series of fundraising initiatives in which the former England captain will plan to raise millions and speak out for children all over the world.

Once fundraising objectives are achieved, UNICEF would be able to provide child protection services and counselling support to children in El Salvador, the country with the highest homicide rate among children in the world; provide water pumps and train communities to maintain them in Burkina Faso, where currently 1 in 5 child deaths are caused by diarrhea; and support breastfeeding mothers to give children the best start in life in Papua New Guinea, where child malnutrition has caused stunted growth in nearly half of all children under the age of five, the UNICEF press release explained.

“Everything I have done, my football career, my family, has led to this point – this is the moment for me to do what I can to help children in every corner of the world. This is something I want my own children to be proud of. The need to help children has never been greater, and since retiring, I have more time and I want to do so much more,” Beckham said in a press release marking the unveiling of 7: The David Beckham UNICEF Fund

Paloma Escudero, from UNICEF’s Global Management Team, acknowledged Beckham’s longstanding efforts to “speaking up for those who need it most – the world’s most vulnerable children,” noting that the football star had already dedicated 10 years of work as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

http://easyaccesstolife..com/2015/02/david-beckham-launches-project-7.html

(1) (Reply)

I Didn’t Goto Ronaldo’s Party. I Knew Something Like This Could Happen / Joe Hart Of Man City / Checkout Ten Matches To Bet On Today (29/03/15)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.