Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,897 members, 7,821,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

The Mentality Of A Great Graphic Designer - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Mentality Of A Great Graphic Designer (959 Views)

What Makes A Great Graphics Designer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Mentality Of A Great Graphic Designer by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 16, 2015
1. ACKNOWLEDGE OTHER DESIGNERS THAT ARE BETTER

What does this mean? Well, unless you are the design superman, who you are probably not, else you would not be reading this article, there is always going to be a graphic designer that is better, more original or simply a better business man than you are. You should acknowledge these people and learn from them. Analyze their work, their thought process and how they present themselves online.
We are lucky we work in a business that is largely based on the internet, so we have pretty much unlimited learning resources. Join design communities such as Dribbble, Behance and DeviantArt. Not only are they good for viewing and posting projects, they also give you ability to meet new people, possibly even friends. Swallow your pride, acknowledge other designers and grow with their help.

2. PLAN YOUR DAY TO INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY

This is probably one of the most important qualities a designer should have. Plan your days, do not just wake up at 11AM and waste half of your day doing meaningless things. Be productive! It is really easy to get lost on the internet. Spend countless hours just browsing around, finding interesting things and allowing time to slowly drain away. I am not saying you need to work from 7AM to 9PM, far from it. We all need time to relax. I am talking about spending time on ridiculous things that are a distraction and help nobody.
I like to plan my day or maybe even a few days ahead each Sunday evening before going to bed. Set your goals for the week and think how you are going to achieve those goals. I am not saying you need to be a workaholic and spend your whole day in Photoshop or Illustrator, this might even have a negative effect. Learn how to manage your time and your work will improve from it as well.

3. THE POWER OF "NO"

This topic is easily explained in a few simple examples.

1. You just made an awesome logo design for a client. You present the logo to the client and he wants you to do some changes. But these changes will make your logo far worse and at that point you realize, that the client has no taste at all and is going to ruin your work.
Solution: First things first, try to reason with the client, use valid arguments. Make him realize your profession is being a graphic designer and you have studied and worked hard for years to get to this level.

2. You are working on a website for a client, but he wants to be constantly involved in the process and is making you do one million changes, all of them which you are doing free of charge. The website is taking longer than expected and your price was not set properly for such a project.
Solution: Explain the client your situation and try to reason with them. Either explain to the client so much changes will cost extra, or give them a limited number of changes you are willing to do. Keep in mind, this is also partially your own fault, because you did not explain the work process in the initial meeting, else this would not happen.

How to prevent all these problems before they even happen? Most of these problems can be prevented during the first meeting with the client. Explain your work process, the potential extra costs and what is included in your work. Think of every possible scenario and prevent it, before it can happen. If you think the client is nothing but trouble you always have the option to decline the work. Choose the work you want to do, it is better to do less work and more quality, than more work less quality. Trust me it pays off in the long run.

more: http://aktorsconcept..com/2015/02/the-mentality-of-great-graphic-designer.html

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Car Blueprint For 3D Applications / Need Your Help....sooo Get In Here!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Where And How Can I Get Barcode Numbers ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.