Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? (1825 Views)

Lionel Messi: Greatest Player Ever -arsene Wenger / FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership / Who Is The Best Premiership Coach ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Ifeniyi22(m): 9:32am On Jan 06, 2009
Happy new year.
Ladies and gentlemen,
Who in your opinion is the best player ever in the English premiership league. I'm talking about all nationals i.e . anybody who has played in the premiership at any point in the past up to the present is eligible (Foreign and English players).
Let the drums roll grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by cabali(m): 11:00am On Jan 06, 2009
thats a tough one. mayb you could mmake it the top 3 of all times.
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Ifeniyi22(m): 11:28am On Jan 06, 2009
It going to be a tough one no matter what grin
The top three list will still have a numero uno,as an addition lets have the top 5 but please bear in mind that there must be a numero uno
Maybe I should rename this thread Mission Impossible grin
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by dani1luv: 3:19pm On Jan 06, 2009
@ postr
make a poll for who you think is d first 10players this premiership
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 06, 2009
Poster,
It's not as difficult as you think.
In my Opinion,even as a United fan,I think the best foreigner was Deniis Bergkamp.
I'm not saying he was.
But I think he was.
He had CLASS!!!!
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Sauron1: 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2009
I think the Best Premiership player ever is Cristiano Ronaldo.

Why??

He won many individual accolades and club titles great players before him could not win(including Bergkamp, Cantona, Henry, Zola).
Ronaldo(a midfielder) outscored all the strikers in the Premiership and Europe at large.
We might not know the greatness now but it might take another half a century for any midfielder to break Ronaldo's records.
Meh, our kids would ask us in some 20 years that. . . . .Dad, is it true a midfielder scored 42 goals in one season??
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by ow11(m): 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2009
@Sauron

You are making it seem as if Ronaldo scored 42 goals in 38 premiership games. Undoubtedly, I would put him in the top 5 but not best.
Ryan Giggs for me is the best ever! His mazy runs at his prime will surely emblazon our TV screens for years to come. Giggs was class both on and off the pitch.
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by dayokanu(m): 8:15pm On Jan 06, 2009
Djemba Djemba
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Sauron1: 8:22pm On Jan 06, 2009
ow11:

@Sauron
You are making it seem as if Ronaldo scored 42 goals in 38 premiership games. Undoubtedly, I would put him in the top 5 but not best.
Ryan Giggs for me is the best ever! His mazy runs at his prime will surely emblazon our TV screens for years to come. Giggs was class both on and off the pitch.

He scored 42 goals in 48 apperances as a winger!!!
That record on its own would put any striker into any hall of fame, let alone a midfielder.
Thierry Henry in his blistering form for Arsenal never scored 40 GOALS in a single season so respect RONALDO.

Giggs?? He is a good ambassador off n on the pitch but Ronaldo is just phenomenal.
As at 2006(He was public enemy number one). . . . .A year later(he was the 2nd best player on the planet behind KAKA).
Now, he is the best player in the world bar none.
How many players are mentally strong enough to deal with the rubbish the English media said about him when Rooney got sent off at the world cup.

Letz be frank. . . . . .No one compares to Ronaldo. It took him LESS than 5 years to win every freaking title in ENGLAND.
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by tkb417(m): 8:48pm On Jan 06, 2009
CR7, Henry, Zola, Cantona, Giggs, Best, Bergkamp, shearer, owen
in no particular order
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Jascobee: 6:52am On Jan 07, 2009
Ronaldo ke?
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 07, 2009
Paul Gascoigne
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by suprted(m): 3:46am On Jan 09, 2009
Ronaldo *hiss*.

he scored 31 goals in the premiership. which is not the record. fyi, its 34 goals in a season from shearer/cole. it's also a single season performance. let him do it for 3 more years before we include him in the same breath as others.

you can't say there was a best player ever as there are many positions. like shearer for instance scored a crapload of goals but does that make him a better player than paul mcgrath or roy keane who are amongst the best in their positions?

you should do it by positions.

My top 5 in each position

Goal
Schmeichel
Seaman
Cech
Friedel
James

Defence
Adams
McGrath
Stam
Ferdinand
G. Neville *no one else stands out

Wingers
Giggs
Beckham
Ronaldo
Pires
McManaman/Ginola (tie)

Midfielders
Vieira
Keane
Scholes
Lampard
Gerrard

Fantasistas/Trequartistas (Number 10's)
Bergkamp
Zola
Cantona
Sheringham
Le Tissier (he could be in the Strikers list as well)

Strikers
Henry
Shearer
Van Nistelrooy
Cole
Ferdinand/Yorke *tie Ian Wright just misses out.

I know people will probably disagree, but i think this takes history into account.
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by paula1(m): 1:35am On Jan 11, 2009
Ryan giggs-10 epl crown and has scored 4 all seasons he has been there.
Alan shearer-won with blackburn and a consistent goal poacher for 10yrs
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by ow11(m): 3:07pm On Jan 11, 2009
@Sauron
~Sauron~:

Letz be frank. . . . . .No one compares to Ronaldo. It took him LESS than 5 years to win every freaking title in ENGLAND.

You seem to be caught up by Ronaldomania. He won every title like Drogba did in about the same time. You do not see Drogba's name propping up anywhere.

His goal scoring antics should be repeated like Henry who was infact a winger like Ronaldo and his goal scoring exploits made him switch positions to centre forward. While He will definately be mentioned in the same breath as one the greatest, I do not think he is until he puts up last season's performance consistently for 3 - 4 concurrent seasons.

@suprted

Neville ahead of Steve Bruce?
Re: Who Is The Best Premiership Player Ever? by suprted(m): 6:04am On Jan 13, 2009
@ow11

don't get me wrong, Bruce was great but he only did it for about two seasons before retiring. I picked Neville for his longevity and general consistency and his ability to change his game to keep up with the ever changing premiership (probably past-it now sha).

(1) (Reply)

Paris Hilton Is Behind Real Madrid Star Cristiano Ronaldo’s Voodoo Curse / Condolence Register For Manutd: Pls Sign In And Drop A Message. / Uefa Champions League Arsenal Vs Braga Time 8:45pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.