Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,712 members, 7,851,421 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:59 PM

How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll (1376 Views)

Poll: How would you describe your relationship with your in-laws?

Wonderful. I love spending time with them.: 47% (9 votes)
Fine. Sometimes we don't click, but no major problems.: 26% (5 votes)
I hate them: 26% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by sexyLeamon(f): 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2009
Mother-in-laws can have trouble letting go of their sons, and Daughter-in-laws can struggle to embrace their husbands families. so inlaws can be very annoying, but some are quite loving.so people how is your Relationship With Your In-Laws?
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by H2O2: 8:11pm On Jan 06, 2009
Na wa for you women o. Striking problems with your inlaws when there needs be none. They are not your enemies na. We can all live comfortably as one big happy family. In the end, your husband is yours to have and keep.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by geolabious(m): 8:14pm On Jan 06, 2009
[size=13pt]More Replies pls[/size]
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by sistawoman: 8:32pm On Jan 06, 2009
I wish my husbands parents were still living. I would have loved to meet his mother as he is truly a momma boy, not in the bad way.

My EXMIL and EXFIL are the worse ever. My Ex father in law cheated on his wife for many many years which gave her lots of free time. My ex MIL was dealing with the guilt of sending 3 of her children away to be raised by other family members and was/is unhealthily (is that a word) attached to my Exhusband. My ExMIL could not bleeping mind her own dam business to save her bleeping life. It was really bad between us until i threaten to take her son and grandchildren away if she did not respect me.

She backed down and we lived out our remainder years in mutual respect. We each dislike the other but respected each other. Now after the divorce all gloves are off and I let her have it anytime necessary.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by Ornella: 10:22pm On Jan 06, 2009
interesting topic for me. my in-law and i coast along. i don't know if they like me but i am not fond of them i try not to let it show. my husband is the nicest man ever so i don't know why his family are different. my mother-in-law and her daughter and grand daughter spent a month long holiday with us (we live in uk they live in 9ja) they did not think it proper to buy my son even sweets as thank you all thru their stay tho i bought stuff for the gran daughter. my mother-in-law has never ever called us to say hello to us- she cannot use her credit not even when i had my son did she ever call me to say hello, how is baby or even to tell us what she would like to name the baby etc. she is a rich woman so it is not credit issues, she is just stingy. when they were on holiday with us they will buy chinese for themselves but not me or my son. my husband works away from home. i knew it was intentional when one day they bought for 4 people but the 4th person was a friend of theirs that came to visit later. and yes i was slaving away everyday cooking for them in the kitchen and working and taking the son to nursery. not that i cant afford chinese but my parents would never do a thing like that. i spent 500pds on food shopping alone for them when they visited. and the daughter who is younger than i am never tried to help with anything. mommy wants to eat pounded yam or the bread is finished remember to buy more. i always felt like gving her a good spanking but i always told myself the month will be up before i know it. now my brother-in-law has moved to the uk. he is working and has been working for 1 year now, he has never bought a thing in the house and does not help with any house work except leave lather in the bath when he's done which annoys me. he cooks for himself and never eats what we cook in the house but he uses foodstuff that i buy. my son had a birthday but he did not think to buy even a 1pd toy for him or anything for xmas. when he was not working, i used to give him small change oh. and the only time their mom almost called was when he was stuck somewhere and couldnt get home. the woman sent me a text message from 9ja to go and get him! i am praying for grace as i don't even know how long he will be with us for but i have had enough of them. i cant tell my husband as they are king in his eyes and i try not to tell my family either because my mom will just hate them for life. i feel better letting it out here though.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by MissyB1(m): 11:03pm On Jan 06, 2009
If I can answer for my mum . . . .
Then . . . She's the luckiest woman on earth to have such a mother in-law! cool cool
I pray I get that same luck.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by sexyLeamon(f): 2:10pm On Jan 07, 2009
Ornella:

interesting topic for me. my in-law and i coast along. i don't know if they like me but i am not fond of them i try not to let it show. my husband is the nicest man ever so i don't know why his family are different. my mother-in-law and her daughter and grand daughter spent a month long holiday with us (we live in uk they live in Nigeria) they did not think it proper to buy my son even sweets as thank you all through their stay tho i bought stuff for the gran daughter. my mother-in-law has never ever called us to say hello to us- she cannot use her credit not even when i had my son did she ever call me to say hello, how is baby or even to tell us what she would like to name the baby etc. she is a rich woman so it is not credit issues, she is just stingy. when they were on holiday with us they will buy chinese for themselves but not me or my son. my husband works away from home. i knew it was intentional when one day they bought for 4 people but the 4th person was a friend of theirs that came to visit later. and yes i was slaving away everyday cooking for them in the kitchen and working and taking the son to nursery. not that i can't afford chinese but my parents would never do a thing like that. i spent 500pds on food shopping alone for them when they visited. and the daughter who is younger than i am never tried to help with anything. mommy wants to eat pounded yam or the bread is finished remember to buy more. i always felt like gving her a good spanking but i always told myself the month will be up before i know it. now my brother-in-law has moved to the uk. he is working and has been working for 1 year now, he has never bought a thing in the house and does not help with any house work except leave lather in the bath when he's done which annoys me. he cooks for himself and never eats what we cook in the house but he uses foodstuff that i buy. my son had a birthday but he did not think to buy even a 1pd toy for him or anything for xmas. when he was not working, i used to give him small change oh. and the only time their mom almost called was when he was stuck somewhere and couldnt get home. the woman sent me a text message from Nigeria to go and get him! i am praying for grace as i don't even know how long he will be with us for but i have had enough of them. i can't tell my husband as they are king in his eyes and i try not to tell my family either because my mom will just hate them for life. i feel better letting it out here though.
hmmm interesting
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by sparta(f): 2:49pm On Jan 08, 2009
My inlaws, so far its good and i pray it remains so whe we finally tie the knot. I have my fears though coz my sweetheart is quite attached to his folks but i am moving on in faith. wink
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2009
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by JJYOU: 8:32pm On Jan 10, 2009
chaircover:

I am extremely lucky with the in-laws I have been blessed with. My husband is the last born and was a mummy’s boy but his siblings are good people and want him to be happy so have accepted me as his wife.

I am treated very well and so I ensure that when they come to visit on holiday they are treated like royalty too and nothing is too much for me to do for them.

I treat his senior sisters as the senior sisters I never had and even though they are in their 50’s we spent many a time gisting,  teaching me  how to tie those skyscraper  gele’s, teaching me how to cook the more difficult and ethnic dishes, and the meaning of Yoruba proverbs, shopping  etc  etc. I will say that half of my 18ct gold collection were gifts from my sister-in-laws.

When we are chatting on the phone my husband has to beg for a 30 second conversation to speak with them before the credit runs out. His sister jokes with him & tells him to go and find his own sister and to stop being jealous.

The way I look at it is that these people were the ones who helped nurture my husband into the great man that he is today and I am appreciative for that. Having said that my husband’s family are generally nice people and nothing is too much trouble for them & I feel the same towards them too.

On the other hand my husband & my mum are the best of friends and he calls her 10 times for every one time I call her. So it does work both ways.

I believe that it the marriage benefits  when both families get along.
God bless you my sister. may you know peace
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your In-laws? Poll by Jummy4real(f): 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2009
@ Ornella

Eh yah I really feel for you. But try and be careful with them sha and make sure you pray always. Thank God you live in the UK and not in Nigeria they would have done more than that. As for me, I dont have problem with my inlaws esp his mother because God and my husband are in control. My husband doesnt tolerate any nonsense from his family at all. May God be with you and your family. Take care.

(1) (Reply)

Legalized Rape In Nigeria / Woman Axes Husband To Death In Benin City, Edo State. / To Convince His Parents That He Meant It, Utochukwu Bathed With Kerosene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.