Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,726 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

The Actors Thread - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Actors Thread (1288 Views)

HOLLYWOOD MOVIES: The Actors And Their Names / Hollywood Actors Then, And Now (photos) / Why Are Central African Actors & Actresses More Bold Than Other African Actors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Actors Thread by Alaroro(m): 10:40am On Feb 20, 2015
IF YOU WANT TO GET STARTED IN YOUR DREAM CAREER IN 2016, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

Maybe you've always known what your dream career is — you just haven't discovered how to get started. Or maybe you're not yet sure what your dream career is — you just know it isn't what you're doing now. Wherever you are in the pursuit of your dream career, Koboheights guides can help you get there

So how does this work

1. Read all the articles on our thread
2. Download our free books and materials
3. Enjoy our antecdotes/testimonials
4. Contact us whenever you have any question
And you'll be on your way to achieving your professional dreams

We are on:

Facebook: k.innovative inc
Twitter: @koboheightsnaija
BBM: 214BE3F5
Nairaland: #KoboExplosion
Re: The Actors Thread by Alaroro(m): 10:42am On Feb 20, 2015
These 10 acting tips for beginners includes the realization that being on stage, in the center of attention, is different from being able to hide from people when convenience strikes. The biggest problem for any newbie to overcome is stage fright. Being in the spotlight will not allow a person to do that. Any problems will be dealt with head on by any director. So, being careful and understanding positive criticism is important to growing as an actor or actress.

Acting the Part. Anyone can say lines in a play but acting the lines out in a story is different and takes hard work. The person needs to become the character who states the lines within the personality of the character who is speaking. This acting tip remains important for any actor or actress newbie who is trying to act the part of a particular character.

Belief in Yourself. Belief in yourself comes with practice and built in confidence. Self help books on confidence are helpful and role modeling with family and other interested actors and actresses will also help in the critiquing process. Find out what you are lacking and need to work on to convince others you are the character you are portraying.

Using your Body to Act out the Character. The body and mind need to work together in convincing others about the character. You must be able to use your body to portray the exact attitude and physical mannerisms of the character. The tip is that the actor must be able to use and believe in many of the emotions he feels while acting.

Understanding the Script of the Character. Not only must the actor understand the role of the character, but he must also be able to understand the script itself. Talking to the director and gaining insight on what the script is really about will help place the person in the right frame of mind when acting out his part of the character. This is a great tip for a beginner at acting.

Knowing the Character Completely. Researching the character to fully understand the character being acted out is important. The actor must fully understand exactly what type of person the character is and what the character believes in as a person. The actress must know the likes and dislikes of the character as if they were her own.

Connection to the Character Emotionally. Understanding the character and his life will help the portrayal of the character emotionally. Knowing the emotions within the character and believing in the emotions as if they were his own will benefit the play’s success. This tip is about knowing what the character is feeling and relating the feelings to his own life as well.

Practicing the Part of the Character. Practicing the part over and over will help to gain strategies in knowing the personality of the character. Being in the form of the character is important.

Concentration. Getting enough sleep and setting time aside to fully concentrate on the character is important and will help the role that is being portrayed to work better and to flow smoothly. An actor’s part in a play or movie must dedicate much time in the concentration of the part to gain depth and full understanding of the project. The tip is that the imagination must seem real and appear real to others.

Losing Yourself in the Role of the Character. Being the character is important, as well as modifying some areas within the play to make it seem real. Sometimes, parts may be changed regarding the character, which flow nicer and are more lifelike within the play or movie. Sometimes, mistakes are blessings in disguise.

Teamwork and Bonding with Coworkers. Everyone who takes part in a play or movie project have importance. The more the merrier as one might say or suggest. The biggest acting tip is getting along with others on the set and finding a way to letting others know that you appreciate their parts in the project.
Re: The Actors Thread by Alaroro(m): 8:01am On Jun 13, 2015
QUESTION:
My question is about using a stage name.
I am not as lucky as yul edochie whose last name can get him into anywhere, it's bad enough that my last name can't even open windows my last name is also long and everyone keeps biting their tongues trying to pronounce it
correctly. I am wondering if to use a stage name do I
have to legally change my last name? If not do I
have to explain to directors etc. that it's only a
stage name? Thank you very much for your help.

Well this is common among many stars today not only in Nollywood but also in Hollywood, like leonardo dicaprio tried changing his name once to sound more American but that didn't work and perhaps they realized that his normal name did stick however nicholas cage tried the same stunt to distance himself
And everyone else from his famous uncle francis ford coppola and it worked for him. However it's not a stressful procedure and requires little to effort in doing so;
legal clinic
You do not have to legally change you name. It's too stressful and frankly it's Nollywood, no one really cares if the name change is legal or not
However, if you choose a stage name that a
professional actor already has(e.g: yul edochie grin just incase you want to be a smartass), you would not be able
to use it especially if you ever hope to join the Actors Guild of Nigeria(AGN) or
get paid for your acting work. So choose carefully.
Give Attention where its due
Like I said Nollywood wouldn't really care especially if you are good at what you do
You do not have to mention that you are using a
stage name. However, if you get paid, you will have to
make sure your Payslips are made out to whatever
name you use for your bank accounts and that you
don't run into mix-ups with the government and state records
Talk to your bank about setting up your accounts to
make that possible.
Re: The Actors Thread by Alaroro(m): 8:30am On Dec 28, 2015
[url=http://koboheights.page.tl/%23BrainExplosion.htm]Visit Koboheights[/url]
Re: The Actors Thread by Alaroro(m): 7:24am On Mar 12, 2016
QUESTION:

I'm an aspiring actor and usually they say that once you do something you love for money then you never work in your life while i have tried to apply that logic, i happen to be in a dark position in my career and i would like to know how to cope

How to Make Acting Your Career, Not Your Hobby

Well,this question conjures up one of the more
popular motivational concepts for anyone pursuing a
dream—people who are successful in their chosen
field can only be so after becoming an expert, which
is commonly reached after 10,000 hours of work Similarly, your question
amounts to the hours that you put into your business, and the strain it often puts on your life.
Consider this story about american artist Yokoo Gibraan:
She would seem to be living the Etsy dream: running
a one-woman knitwear operation, Yokoo, from her
home and earning more than $140,000 a year, more
than many law associates.Her hobby is her job. But consider this
before you quit your day job: at the pace she's
working, she might as well be a law associate.
“I have to wake up around 8, get coffee or tea, and
knit for hours and hours and hours and hours... like
an old lady in a chair, catching up on podcasts,
watching old Hitchcock shows. I will do it for 13
hours a day.” And even after all those hours knitting,
she is constantly sketching new designs or trading e-
mail messages with 50 or more customers a day.
Or someone like linda ikeji who runs a traffic busy blog :
Working from home, people think it's so easy and
great [but] there's nobody there to tell you to take a
break, or take a vacation.
As you read these quotes, calculate for yourself: How
many hours per day do each of these self -employed spend
on their businesses? Eight hours? 12 hours? More?
Let's be conservative and suggest that these folks
average about eight hours per day focusing on their
business. Now, take a moment and count up how
many concentrated hours YOU spend on your acting
career daily.
Wow, that was fast. My guess? Far less than eight.
Why do you, as actors, think that anything less than
full commitment will somehow be enough? And why
do you often stuff the hours you do dedicate in
between all of the other things in your lives (rather
than putting acting first and bending all others to fit)?
Perhaps it's because you are told somewhere along
the line that you needed to "think more seriously
about your future." Perhaps you get too frustrated with
the lack of tangible results in your career. Perhaps you
just don't believe in your talent, or you are too scared
of success? Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.
As we move forward towards the end of 2016, let's recommit
ourselves to addressing this issue. To get started,
consider three things:
1. How do you define success? (Meaning, what needs
to happen in your career that will lead you to say,
"NOW I am successful."wink
2. To achieve this success, how many hours per day/
week/month will you need to work?
3. (And this is the hard part.): Make it happen.
If there is anything standing in your way, work
through it. Remember that people make this career
happen every day, even those with children, student
loans, unsupportive parents, temporary housing, etc.
Don't let your circumstances define who you are or where you'll end up.
What kind of successes or difficulties have you found in committing fully to your career? To get support or lend a hand to others. So my advice is that take into consideration that making a hobby doesn't make it hard work but you have to be hard working in getting results wink catch my drift?

Hey would you like a career in acting? Do you have a plan for your acting career? No? Then perhaps you get the kobo questionnaire,
The kobo questionnaire asks you all the questions you need to create a career or business plan and best part, its free just download it below or order a PDF version by sending a mail to koboheights@gmail.com

best of luck wink

(1) (Reply)

Pop Quiz For Movie Lovers / Photos From The Premiere Of Judith Audu’s Just Not Married / The Conjuring 2 Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.