Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,156 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:04 AM

Robber's Dilemma; [complete this story] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Robber's Dilemma; [complete this story] (959 Views)

Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace / Will Need A Co-writer For This Story / Tochi's Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Robber's Dilemma; [complete this story] by djmask(m): 12:52pm On Feb 21, 2015
All rights reserved

"Bosco count me out"
"Shey you no hear say the man just purchase a new gun?"
"Brand new double barrel from obodo oyinbo"

These were the words spoken to challenge Bosco's declaration. The small group immediately voiced their concern about the suicide mission of attacking Chief Okoli's house.

"Make una listen, the man get money and he no dey use bank. All the money from his Onistha trade, dey inside that his house. Once we do this one, all of us go find our level go start business." Bosco said. "If una never tire for small small money, me don tire" he added.
I just sit at one corner of the room listening carefully without speaking a word. Whatever decision they take is fine by me. I need money. My life cannot continue to be like this and if robbing Chief Okoli's house will solve my problem, then am game.

Our little group of Six members including Bosco who is the brain and muscle of the group started operation less than a month ago. We have done seven operations, most of which were snatching of bag using motorcycles. It has been paying off. But the money is not enough to start a good business for any of us.

Our foray into the world of stealing began when Sunday discovered his father's old guns. Although they were old, they are Awka made guns; the best locally made guns available in this part of the country. When he proposed to our group of friends that, we should contribute money to refurbish the guns so we could start hunting inside Idemili forest, we all agreed. At least it will keep us busy with the hope of getting something for our stomach. But after countless hunting expedition, we all came to a conclusion that hunting is not our calling.

So, it was with mixed feelings when Bosco announced that we use the guns to rob his uncle who is going to purchase goods in Onitsha the next morning. We opposed at first but when he told us his air-tight plans we reluctantly agreed since the money is well over one hundred thousand naira.
Our first 'Rambo-like' operation went without any problems, so was the second, and now we are planning the eighth, which seems bigger than we can handle.

Emeka and Oke stood up saying they will have no part in our suicide mission. They beckoned on me to join them and leave Bosco with his deadly plans. But I have pressing issues that requires lots of money to fix. The way my life had pan out, is not enviable and things must change. While my mates are getting married and having shops in Aba and Owerri, I am stuck in this village chasing rodents with these fools.

"Emeka abeg I go stay, man must take risk to survive. Una never even listen to wetin Bosco plan, una just begin fear." I said to the duo.

"Which kain yeye plan Bosco wan get to block pellets from a new double barrel gun? The only way I I go join una na if we get 'odechi' or 'otumopo', but as we no get, me no fit risk as am o. Person wey dey alive still get hope." He said as he dashed out of the room with his bulldog Oke tagging along.

Nonetheless, we went ahead with our plans, which will be well excuted since we dont have much people. Less members means less exposure and more money. We could also disappear quickly without fear of leaving one behind.

On the d-day, we dressed in our usual black dresscode and painted our face black. It will be a simple operation. We will enter the house through the back door that is always open according to information Bosco got from his slowpoke girlfriend. We will proceed to the sitting room through the kitchen, then get Chief Okoli's only daughter to knock on her father's door. And once we have Chief, our operation is as good as done with.
Our plans was going smoothly as planned, we have gotten Chief Okoli's daughter to knock on the door, but no reply. She knocked severally without a single response from inside, Bosco decided to open the door and then our ordeal began.

The room was empty, there was nobody inside. We got confused and scared and in the situation Felix the short demon shouted on the girl to stop fooling us and take us to her father's room. She started sobbing loudly, i held her mouth and calmed her down. She informed amid pleads not to hurt her father that he should be inside any of his wives' rooms.
As we turned to approached the door to our right, the door on the left room flung opened and Chief Okoli could be seen in the semi-darkness clutching his gun, he shot immediately into the wall as he saw his daughter with strange men in his sitting room. We scattered, the disappearance of my fellows shocked me and for a split second I thought I would be shot until I saw a space at the back of the cupboard housing various electronic gadgets and books, I ducked behind as more shots rang out. Chief Okoli gave a hot chase to the other members while I sat, frozen in fear behind the cupboard. My legs failed to connect with my brain as the fear of a certain death crippled me.

The shots and commotion woke the whole neighborhood and and men with different types of dane guns could be seen and heard in and out of the sitting room and in the compound. Chief Okoli's power generating set had been turned on and he was recounting the events of the night to his fellow age group.
I am still here behind the cupboard, soaked in fear. Minutes turned into hours as the excitement and frenzy of the events had wiped sleep off the face of Chief Okoli's family. I was hoping they will go back to sleep as the day is still young which will facilitate my escape, but here I am, stuck in between the Lion and a pack of Wolves.

Chief Okoli's second wife is obviously the mother of the girl we held to knock on doors, the way she pets and pats the girl, asking her numerous questions at once, indicates she is the mother.

"They want to kill my child for me, their plans in this family will not work, they will be disgraced. Anofia!! " The second wife blurted out while consoling her daughter.
"They have sons, I have sons too, but they don't have a daughter and they want to kill my only daughter for me, their plans in this family will not work. Unless my Chi is dead" She added

"Hey woman, go inside with your daughter and stop looking for trouble. Instead of you to thank God that the hoodlums did not achieve their plans you are here blaming another person" Chief Okoli replied his second wife.

But she continued her line of fire "Hey!! Nna those men are not hoodlums, Chief, those men are hired killers, they want to kill you and my daughter but my God has prevailed"

"Woman!!! I say get inside and let me rest" Chief blurted out.
She dashed immediately into her room.

So here I am on this Saturday morning hidden behind a cupboard of television, files and other electronic appliances. Here I am waiting looking for an opportunity to dash into the kitchen and flying into the bush behind the compound. According to Chief, police were on their way to come and survey and find out what truly happened. I know for sure that if and when the police arrived, I may be discovered because the police knows how to snoop where their nose doesn't belong to.
I have to leave before the police come. Should I make a run for it? What if there are men with guns in the compound drinking to the successful repelling of the robbery? I was contemplating on what to do when the first wife brought food, set it down on the center table.

"Nna ayin, your food is ready and set." The first wife called out and left the sitting room. Other people in the sitting room followed suit and the room became empty. I was about springing up when the second wife crept into the room, she looked left and right and then unfold her wrapper and brought out 'abashi'. She poured it into her husband's food and silently walked backed to her room. 'Abashi' is a potent poison known to cause deep sleep that leads to death. It is used by hunters to kill wild and big animals like elephant and rhinoceros, they find their path and then place food laced with Abashi on it.

So this woman wants to kill her husband and the first wife will be blamed for it. According to our culture, a woman guilty of killing her husband will be banished and made an outcast (osu). The second wife wants she and her children to inherit chief's property and wealth while the first wife and her sons will languish in poverty for a crime she knows nothing of. All these I observed and thought of in my hideout behind the cupboard.

My dilemma is, should I watch the Chief eat this potent food and die while hoping that the police don't arrive while he is eating? Or should I warned the Chief about the poisoned food and hopes he recognises my gestures by letting me go? Chief Okoli holds a record for killing surrendered robbers while he was a member of the village vigilante group. Will the Chief pardon me for saving his life, or he will hand me over to the police or he will just shoot me point blank as his rifle is still with him.

<<<<<Great minds, help me to complete this story. What should our trapped robber do? >>>>

1 Like

Re: Robber's Dilemma; [complete this story] by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2015
The die is cast. At least save a life before you get caught. Eventually you might get caught, but what if the chief died? At least get caught (or die) with the feeling that you did something right for once...
Re: Robber's Dilemma; [complete this story] by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 22, 2015
thhhiinkking

(1) (Reply)

All That Glitters............. / Nonfiction Writers Needed. / My Fiance Is Holy ( A Christian Love Story By Mercy Oluwafunmito Adebisi.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.