Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

I Was Outsmarted At An ATM - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Was Outsmarted At An ATM (1451 Views)

6 Quick Things To Do If Your ATM Card Is Stolen / My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? / Pastor, Others Nabbed Over ATM Scam, Burglar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
I wish to tell this experience to fellow nairalanders. I was at an ATM cashpoint in pretoria in far away south africa to cash money today at 14.00 hr, suddenly a stranger using one of the machine at the time I arrived there told me that the other machines were not dispensing, I should therefore used the one he was using. As he rounded up with his transaction, I proceeded to the machine to start a transaction, the next thing he told me was that the machine was programmed in Afrikaan, let me changed it to English for you.i declined instantly by saying thank you i don't need your help.You will not believe me, he left immediately and to the best of my knowledge I slotted my card into the machine,I started waiting for enter your pin numbers. ...which was never displayed by the machine. I said to myself may be this machine had retained my card as we often experienced this in Nigeria. After waiting for about ten minutes for the machine to return my card, I gave up and concluded that I will report to the bank tomorrow that their machine must have retained my firstbank visa Gold debit card, 2 hours later I asked my Nigerian friends if they had ever experienced similar thing before only for me to be told that it was almost an impossible thing in SA if a wrong pin was not used. ., it was at this point that one of the Nigerians suggested that I might have been robbed. He suggested I call my bank in Nigeria immediately,I opined that I would check my email alert service first .....alas....my card had been used for transactions of about 1450 ZAR in less than 2 hours.The maximum balance in the card. I immediately mailed first contact to block all further transactions with the card. I reported it as a stolen card. I equally reported at sunnyside police station to see if the criminal could be tracked. I was advised to get my statement of account first from my bank before an investigation could be initiated. I had already requested for it from firstbank via first contact. I am only sharing this with fellow nairalanders so that you will not be caught unaware. Everything happened within a split second. Please beware and be careful. This is my painful experience today in SA.The lesson here is do not accept any help from any human at an ATM point. Thanks as you digest this bitter experience of mine with mixed feelings.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by jingh(f): 9:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
sorry man, you ve just paid your due to the satan kinsmen
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by buygala(m): 9:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
Still trying to comprehend dis post embarassed

I am really trying to make a connection between the Atm saga and the robbery... op are you trying to tell us that the robbers installed their own Atm In the bank's premises, or that they configured the bank's atm to aid them in the robbery?

I am not very smart, so please op should explain this to a dumb dude

2 Likes

Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by ArchEnemy(m): 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
One needs to be very careful. Thanks for sharing Op

1 Like

Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
jingh:
sorry man, you ve just paid your due

Paid his due to who? And to think that you are a "progressive".
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by jingh(f): 9:45pm On Feb 22, 2015
mulante:

Paid his due to who? And to think that you are a "progressive".
seriously are you talking that comment serious ?
you deserve a chemotherapy and psychological help if you take that serious.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2015
jingh:
seriously are you talking that comment serious ?
you deserve a chemotherapy and psychological help if you take that serious.

Oh! I'm sorry. I'll learn how not to take your comments seriously.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by jingh(f): 10:02pm On Feb 22, 2015
mulante:

Oh! I'm sorry. I'll learn how not to take your comments seriously.
no you should learn how to read between the line.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by morgang(m): 10:15pm On Feb 22, 2015
So sorry about this sad event, op.

But since u declined the offer initiated by the scammer, I still can't figure out how the sad event unfolds...
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by ucheheart(m): 10:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
You don't know afrikaans yet you didn't allow somebody to assist you then you left your card in the machine for someone else to use it. Normal thing you would have done is to allow the guy to assist you then when it comes to the pin, you tell him to shift. Or better still you ask him to teach you the basic keys before he leaves. In all After much much, you change your pin. You scammed yourself man.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
you need to read the caption again. I was outsmarted. being robbed here did not necessary meant it was a violent event. The word robbery was suggested by a listener who knew pretoria well. it could actually meant a hyperbole.....to express the extent of his feelings for me. I pray you will not experience this ....just imagine it then you will know how painful it could be. Though I thank God for his unspeakable wisdom coz it would have been more painful if it had happened yesterday. As at yesterday I was having about 7500 ZAR In the card out of which I withdrew 6000ZAR. Which I intend using to pay for my permit. The pain is still there but thought of sharing the experience with others. He who have ears let him hear.The moral is not to argue about the event but to sensitise others.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
ucheheart:
You don't know afrikaans yet you didn't allow somebody to assist you then you left your card in the machine for someone else to use it. Normal thing you would have done is to allow the guy to assist you then when it comes to the pin, you tell him to shift. Or better still you ask him to teach you the basic keys before he leaves. In all After much much, you change your pin. You scammed yourself man.

your judgement is so myopic and I am of the opinion that a fellow like you who derived joy at the fall of others should ideally be wished same experience but as a Christian, I would not do that. I did not post this for the perfect being like you but for those that may be at risk
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
morgang:
So sorry about this sad event, op.

But since u declined the offer initiated by the scammer, I still can't figure out how the sad event unfolds...

bro...I am not the first person to experienced this. The trick, the act is beyond what I can figure out.I was later told that many people had fallen victims of same antecedents.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 22, 2015
ArchEnemy:
One needs to be very careful. Thanks for sharing Op
you are welcome. But u need to change your name to Archfriend. lol
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by ArchEnemy(m): 10:37pm On Feb 22, 2015
babosky2008:

you are welcome. But u need to change your name to Archfriend. lol
smiley
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 10:52pm On Feb 22, 2015
jingh:
You can say whatever you like and add more salt to a bleeding wound.All forms of smartness look like foolishness before the criminals in SA.The prayer we should all pray to God is that we shall not be their victims. I had used different ATM machines in SA more than 30 times .But it wasn't to be today. I even cashed 6000ZAR from d same ABSA ATM machine yesterday. you can see the pik.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by chemmerfrank(m): 11:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sounds tricky... Lemme consult the gods.. Cus dis na story for the gods indeed..
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Bosch10(m): 2:04am On Feb 23, 2015
jingh:
lol,faculty due?
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 23, 2015
Errrm sorry oo op,, but still tryin to make a connection shaa,, how is the guy to blame, cos u said u didn't need his help, and he left u,, so y r u blaming him??
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by jingh(f): 6:14am On Feb 23, 2015
Seriously did you just say that.
Am nt mocking u.
Anyway sowi
babosky2008:

You can say whatever you like and add more salt to a bleeding wound.All forms of smartness look like foolishness before the criminals in SA.The prayer we should all pray to God is that we shall not be their victims. I had used different ATM machines in SA more than 30 times .But it wasn't to be today. I even cashed 6000ZAR from d same ABSA ATM machine yesterday. you can see the pik.
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 23, 2015
incase
Re: I Was Outsmarted At An ATM by skup008(m): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2015
eeyah

(1) (Reply)

1million Boys / Wife Allegedly Cut Husband Lips For Sending Money To A Mistress / Beware Of This Scammers Dont Fall A Victim Federal Sas Will Soon Arrest Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.