Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,247 members, 7,822,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder (32045 Views)

Can You Work From Home Part-time As A Banker Or Company Worker? / Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 26, 2015
Rubbish tongue
Banking, just like every other profession is in stages.

The effort an ET would put in, can't be the same with when he is an SBO or AM.
There are some duties you drop along the way.

The bank also matters. (I don't want to mention names of banks) but there is one thing i'm sure of, you can't keep getting C in your appraisal and expect to be promoted. In fact, if there is need for downsizing they would first target the redundant staff.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by yemicoal(m): 1:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Rubbish tongue
Lol, cos you date/married a banker
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by valmunich(m): 1:37pm On Feb 26, 2015
Some banker's wife be like grin
Kachisbarbie:
Rubbish tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by SammieRexx(m): 1:38pm On Feb 26, 2015
We hear you @OP.....I share ur view too.......but as d matta be 4 naija nw...........even. Pure water compannies...graduates dey dia talk more of bank............if I d wrk for bank den chicks don suffer be dat na......cuz I go toast dem til d bread burn grin
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by nikkflexible(f): 1:39pm On Feb 26, 2015
well,I can work in a bank as a spinster tho but not as a married woman

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by adonisNEW(m): 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
Thanks op. God bless you.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ShootingStar88(m): 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
Nice one from the OP...
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by dmjinc(m): 1:42pm On Feb 26, 2015
slimzypink:
I love the male bankers tho, they are well suited expecially Gt bank
angry
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 26, 2015
Stingy Bankers, I mean the guys.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Ephemmm: 2:06pm On Feb 26, 2015
No work in Nigeria and you are here telling us someone should not be a banker; so what do you want us to do when companies are winding up nearly everyday Nigeria?

Besides, staff of companies in Lekki, Ajah, VI here face the same problems you highlighted here without being adequately compensated. So, what is the bigi?

A fresh graduate in banking sector is earning averagely 250k, how many state, local or Federal govt can afford that?

OYES in Osun, YES O in Oyo, graduates in these schemes are collecting around 10k per month. So, for how long will they work before gathering common 200k? the worst is that state govts are still owing them salaries unlike banking sector where your salary account has been credited by 22nd of the month at worst.

Now tell me which job has not its own hazard especially in major cities like Lagos where you can see people collecting 20/30k waking up as early as 5am?

If your family members are blessed and they are taking care of you, I say congratulations, but if you are someone like me who will rather go hungary than to beg even my parent, you will realize that no job is totally bad cos God only bless a man through something, which is the work of his hands.

Sit down for house and be complaining about a job, when your mates are gathering experiences which can spring them to achieve a better job in the near future.

I dont know what to say again jawe tongue embarassed tongue

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by rago(m): 2:10pm On Feb 26, 2015
m waiting for a counter thread!
7 reasons u should consider being a banker!
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by jayyem(m): 2:12pm On Feb 26, 2015
Bottom line from the post is just for you to really know what you want to do in life before going for any undergraduate course and while in school, try as much as possible to discover other talents in you and your entrepreneurer skills...instead of spending all your pocket money on frivolities, learn to use it to take little calculated business risks and put your talent to good use. EOD!
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ntyce(m): 2:13pm On Feb 26, 2015
A colleague just resumed from 6 months suspension and had a debit of 3.5 million posted in her account last week.
Banking can be fun but quite risky.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Mrsshady(f): 2:19pm On Feb 26, 2015
BJAYADEMOLA:
Even still pple will still want a bank job. well nairalanders today is my birthday. hbd 2 me.
Happy birthday to you!
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by toluwaniyahoo(f): 2:30pm On Feb 26, 2015
Ephemmm:
No work in Nigeria and you are here telling us someone should not be a banker; so what do you want us to do when companies are winding up nearly everyday Nigeria?

Besides, staff of companies in Lekki, Ajah, VI here face the same problems you highlighted here without being adequately compensated. So, what is the bigi?

A fresh graduate in banking sector is earning averagely 250k, how many state, local or Federal govt can afford that?

OYES in Osun, YES O in Oyo, graduates in these schemes are collecting around 10k per month. So, for how long will they work before gathering common 200k? the worst is that state govts are still owing them salaries unlike banking sector where your salary account has been credited by 22nd of the month at worst.

Now tell me which job has not its own hazard especially in major cities like Lagos where you can see people collecting 20/30k waking up as early as 5am?

If your family members are blessed and they are taking care of you, I say congratulations, but if you are someone like me who will rather go hungary than to beg even my parent, you will realize that no job is totally bad cos God only bless a man through something, which is the work of his hands.

Sit down for house and be complaining about a job, when your mates are gathering experiences which can spring them to achieve a better job in the near future.

You've said it all.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Joshuadon: 2:31pm On Feb 26, 2015
slimzypink:

? Hmmm you notice male bankers only.....ladies of today ?
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by gidjah(m): 2:59pm On Feb 26, 2015
Any living witness in tha House ?
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by chyket(m): 4:11pm On Feb 26, 2015
Some people enjoy working in a bank and no matter the difficulties they encounter in the process.they don't really mind but there is another group that don't enjoy the job but are hanging in there pending when they get something more rewarding and futfilling to do.
I worked in a bank a longtime ago but had to walk away from the job because I was no more enjoying it.Its really better to allow people experience a career themselves and then decide whether they want it or not.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by weedfada(m): 4:27pm On Feb 26, 2015
Well, as an ex-banker, I'll say the OP just stated the downsides to being a banker (of course every job has its own share of that). Bankers have lots of advantages, which if properly utilized can launch one to higher grounds (either within or out of the sector). My advice to anyone aspiring to get in and those already there is, don't get too comfortable and get caught up with the hype, buying expensive stuffs up and down and balling like there's no tomorrow. Save for the rainy day, make wise and well calculated investments, start up a biz which you can closely monitor and pray to God to guide you in your day to day job function. Life itself is a risk....ermm, nuff said folks!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by phetty(m): 4:37pm On Feb 26, 2015
Rexphobia:
Someone needs to write

Why You Should Not Be An Auditor/Consultant or work with any of the big 4 audit firms (PwC and the rest)

Lools... make the person no even try am.

The excuses given above do not apply to banking professionals alone...residents of Lagos would understand better...
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Moz22: 4:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
They are no excuses bt true fact....i was excited when i got d offer letter to resume work bt all these things listed here talks me especially the part that i leave home at 5am just to beat d traffic on 3rd mainland and return home at midnyt and sometimes do get a call up on saturdays too...no friends and no time out wt ur families. Na condition cause am
saintkola:
Flimsy excuses/reasons! undecided
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by shakazuldadon: 4:44pm On Feb 26, 2015
AND TO CROWN IT ALL.

YOU HAVE A BOSS CALLED MR. SARUMI WHO CALLS HIMSELF A PASTOR.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Moz22: 4:46pm On Feb 26, 2015
Bro...abeg which bank dey pay that kind amount as a fresh grad make i run apply shap shap. Bt serz, its quite rare and besides fresh grads here where i work earn 70k per month and are being placed on contracts.
Ephemmm:

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by AdeMoss: 5:09pm On Feb 26, 2015
I work in arguably the most target driven bank in Nigeria. I will not wish this life for my children. There's in absolutely no peace of mind in this chaotic rat race.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Vickram: 5:17pm On Feb 26, 2015
Banking lyf style is a boring lyf style that I can't advice any esteem vibrant youth to venture into . The stress is much and fake lyf style
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by paschenko(m): 5:32pm On Feb 26, 2015
slimzypink:
U like better think bae. But it is not just abt d dressing, it can get so demanding dat u'll gladly swap ur 120K monthly for a job of 80k n get peace of mind. Talking out of experience.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ruffhandu: 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2015
Ephemmm:

You have spoken my mind, but let me assist you small.

@ OP
You work an average 10 hours
And you are paid and average of hundreds of Thousand. Are you afraid of work or just lazy?

You have no time for friends and family
Whoever eats his cake and has it? Open a kiosk in front of your house so that you spend 24 hrs with your friends and family. You may also wish to follow them to their places of work or school, so that they'll always be close to you.

You leave home early and get home late
Go get a job in the Local Government, because even private schools these day will have you work for your money. Even hawkers are on the streets by 5am. You should wake up.

You get fired very easily
Because you don't own the Bank, but if you remain diligent, then that won't be for you. You also get sacked anywhere easily if you commit sackable acts. Start selling kerosine at Ijokpa junction, perhaps nobody will have the 'right' to fire you easily.

The most hardworking doesn’t mean the most rewarded
"The race is not for the swift, neither the battle for the strong..." Work smart and pray hard.

Promotions take too long to come by
Ask even soldiers how long it takes for their promotion. People still rise to be EDs in banks. If you think you're not appreciated where you are, you know what to do.

Risk using your salary to pay for lost money
Lost money? And you failed to mention the "TYS" customers drop for you, can you match both? Besides, your losing money stems from your carelessness most times. The OP is one-faced on this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by paschenko(m): 5:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Rubbish tongue
Banking, just like every other profession is in stages.

The effort an ET would put in, can't be the same with when he is an SBO or AM.
There are some duties you drop along the way.

The bank also matters. (I don't want to mention names of banks) but there is one thing i'm sure of, you can't keep getting C in your appraisal and expect to be promoted. In fact, if there is need for downsizing they would first target the redundant staff.

U r speaking wit banking jargons, R u in d system?
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Adesiji77: 5:51pm On Feb 26, 2015
I guess that we should be looking forward to "Why You Not Be an Accountant" ".....Doctor" "....Soldier" ".....Lawyer" etc

Every profession has its hazards. Ultimately, it boils down to your choice or job opportunities.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by paschenko(m): 5:53pm On Feb 26, 2015
Ephemmm:

Fresh graduate earning 250k? Abeg which bank? Cos I was in d banking for 6 years never saw a fresher earn 250k.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by paschenko(m): 5:56pm On Feb 26, 2015
Ephemmm:

Fresh graduate earning 250k? Abeg which bank? Cos I was in d banking sector for 6 years never saw a fresher earn 250k monthly.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Ephemmm: 6:01pm On Feb 26, 2015
paschenko:

Fresh graduate earning 250k? Abeg which bank? Cos I was in d banking sector for 6 years never saw a fresher earn 250k monthly.

Which bank are you working out from, if I may ask?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Casual Leave:annual Leave What Is The Difference Please / 400k Salary, but nothing. / Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.