Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Break Bad Habits! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Break Bad Habits! (1718 Views)

Damaging Chat Habits Particular To Youths Of Today. / What Are The Bad Habits We Just Can't Seem To Break??? / What Bad Habits Would You Love To Change In 2006? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Break Bad Habits! by dominobaby(f): 1:58pm On May 12, 2005
Everyone struggles with them, here's how to beat them.

Do you know someone with a bad habit - or several bad habits? Perhaps you have a friend who has the nervous habit of biting his fingernails. Or the foul habit of smoking or drinking too much. Maybe you know some one who just can't seem to shut up!

Not all habits are bad of course. Much of what we do everyday is a matter of habit. These habits save us time, because we don't have to think about whether to put on our socks or shoes first. But unfortunately while we are learning from our daily experiences and developing useful habits, we can also form bad habits.

Not one person who reads this article is completely without bad habits. Let's identify habits and look at some ways to overcome bad or harmful habits. Perhaps you can tell us one of your habits you have overcome.
Re: Break Bad Habits! by dominobaby(f): 3:34pm On May 12, 2005
Here's a little bit of advice my father gave me back in the days.
When I would get down or frustrated about any little thing, he would say "stop frowing and looking so unhappy. force yourself to smile on the outside and you'll eventually become happy on the inside". At first I did not fully grasp what I was being told, but I took it to heart and discovered that it worked.
If I caught myself in a foul attitude and made a conscious effort to snap out of it - by smiling, thinking happy thoughts, directing my mind towards good things - gradually i began to change.

Here's the key: Realize that YOU ALONE are responsible for your thoughts.

The first step to take is to[b] Admit[/b] you have a bad habit. This can be very difficult because habits become practically invisible to us. They have become such a normal activity that our brain no longer consciously notices them.
Re: Break Bad Habits! by olaide07(f): 12:13pm On Jun 07, 2005
Habit is not something you could easily give up. I have a habit ;the more i try to stop the more i get attracted to it. I think if i'm more occupied i could stop
Re: Break Bad Habits! by Pinky(f): 12:42pm On Jun 07, 2005
olaide07:

Habit is not something you could easily give up. I have a habit ;the more I try to stop the more I get attracted to it. I think if I'm more occupied I could stop

wats ur bad habbit laide?
i can help
Re: Break Bad Habits! by abrakson(f): 8:28pm On Jun 08, 2005
its a mind set thing make up ur mind about them and u'll be supprised it'll work like i did concerning issues that are meant to remain in the family alone cos u don't know who is hating u to take advantage of u,and with GOD helping u,u'll drop them.
let me say it the way it should be i like to gossip but i don't do that anymore
Re: Break Bad Habits! by dominobaby(f): 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2005
Pinky:

olaide07 link=topic=217.msg4117#msg4117 date=1118142818:

Habit is not something you could easily give up. I have a habit ;the more I try to stop the more I get attracted to it. I think if I'm more occupied I could stop
wats your bad habbit laide?
I can help

Yep Laide, if you can state what the habit is, help is on the way! Abi Pinky?
Re: Break Bad Habits! by Greatpeter(m): 9:51pm On Jun 24, 2005
What are bad habits first. Because what you consider a bad habit may not be seen by me as bad and vice versa.
You mention biting fingernails which many people do and they do not count it as a bad habit.
What do you consider as bad habits?
Re: Break Bad Habits! by bolasho(m): 10:32am On Jun 30, 2005
Hey every one I think we should be sincere and share our bad habits to ourselves.

Well mine is Nagging, I nag alot whenever my friend (especially my girlfriend) and I have little understanding. this happen most when i know am the right person in the issue.

So lets share yours.
Re: Break Bad Habits! by Greatpeter(m): 6:34pm On Jun 30, 2005
Making too many friends (both male & female).  It's getting me into trouble, but I can't stop making friends.

I love helping people. Why?  I have suffered before.  I am not claiming a millionaire here but I am comfortable.  I love both pen and bossom friends, but they betray at long last, especially bossom friends.  I've been warned several times by my parents but I just can't help stopping it.  Maybe I will stop when I get married if my wife frowns at it.

I have friends both outside and inside the country.  I think it's an "addiction".
Re: Break Bad Habits! by Chxta(m): 12:38pm On Jul 10, 2005
Habit is habit, not to be thrown out of the window, but to be begged to go down the stairs one step at a time.
Re: Break Bad Habits! by olaide07(f): 11:20am On Jul 20, 2005
I don't know why everybody is trying to be nosy about my bad habit.its not realy bad as in bad
Re: Break Bad Habits! by Jonnyboy12: 12:55am On Jan 02, 2006
i have many bad habits, i smoke, bite my hands, nails, and fingers, tap my feet when im nervous or anxious, and i scratch and pick at the skin on my hands, and i almost always angry and in a bad mood, if anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated
Re: Break Bad Habits! by HabitBuste(m): 2:26pm On Jan 26, 2006
Hi all

Someone said - above - you need to be aware of your bad habit.

That's one of the first steps.

Then you need to

* Learn why your bad habits are not you.

* Learn why your bad habit is a choice and why that's good news.

* Learn why your bad habit is the foundation for becoming the person you want to be.

* Learn why you need to be AWARE of every bad habit slip and why it will rid you
of the associated embarrassment.

* Are you afraid to take risks to become a confident and happy person?
Learn why taking risks are critical.

* Are you beating yourself for failing? Learn how to accept, admit. And learn from
your bad habits?

(I got this email from a guy who is a liar - "“I’m such an idiot sometimes”

Do you notice the negative image he creates.

This form of punishment is a way to empower your
bad habit. And you need to become aware of it
and bust it!

You need to believe that Failure does not exit.

You have to learn from every bad habit slip.

Wishing massive success

Johan Horak
Re: Break Bad Habits! by holythug(m): 12:44pm On Jan 03, 2008
tryin 2 . . . that is a good one to all. . .reasonable Nlanders
Re: Break Bad Habits! by em19em6: 10:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
Naija

(1) (Reply)

Happy Buffday Watever / No Matter How GRUMPY You May Be Right Now~these Should Change Your Mood / Marijuana; My First Time Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.