Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

PhD Students And/or Professors In Nigeria, Please Come In! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / PhD Students And/or Professors In Nigeria, Please Come In! (708 Views)

Alhaji Dangote: Please Come To The Aid Of Your Staff Members In DISC, Osogbo. / Can An MBA Holder Go For A Phd In Management? / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PhD Students And/or Professors In Nigeria, Please Come In! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
I am thinking of pursuing further graduate studies and obtaining a doctorate in business (i.e. Finance), but I have heard horror stories of unemployed PhDs and don't want to waste my time if it is not a fruitful venture.

Are there any students who are in the process of earning a PhD in the country? Do you have any regrets? Also, how is the quality of life in Nigeria for professors?

Is publishing research a competitive process? Are you under pressure to publish all the time? What about salaries? Is obtaining tenure difficult?

I also wonder if where you went to school or where you teach determines your career success. Public or private? Do some departments pay better than others (i.e. petroluem engineering department vs finance vs Literature)?

So many questions but I am just curious.
Re: PhD Students And/or Professors In Nigeria, Please Come In! by jerflakes(m): 11:24pm On Feb 27, 2015
totima:
I am thinking of pursuing further graduate studies and obtaining a doctorate in business (i.e. Finance), but I have heard horror stories of unemployed PhDs and don't want to waste my time if it is not a fruitful venture.

Are there any students who are in the process of earning a PhD in the country? Do you have any regrets? Also, how is the quality of life in Nigeria for professors?

Is publishing research a competitive process? Are you under pressure to publish all the time? What about salaries? Is obtaining tenure difficult?

I also wonder if where you went to school or where you teach determines your career success. Public or private? Do some departments pay better than others (i.e. petroluem engineering department vs finance vs Literature)?

So many questions but I am just curious.

So you feel say professors go come nairaland to answer your questions?

Make them chop insults from all these small boys and girls?

Havent you heard of 'office hours'?
Re: PhD Students And/or Professors In Nigeria, Please Come In! by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 28, 2015
jerflakes:

So you feel say professors go come nairaland to answer your questions?
Make them chop insults from all these small boys and girls?
Havent you heard of 'office hours'?

This is also open to students too.

Also the internet is open 24/7 for professors who only have time after "office hours" as you say.
Re: PhD Students And/or Professors In Nigeria, Please Come In! by jerflakes(m): 4:05am On Feb 28, 2015
totima:

This is also open to students too.

Also the internet is open 24/7 for professors who only have time after "office hours" as you say.

You go wait till the cells in your body become professors.

(1) (Reply)

Which Job You'd Pick?High Salary, Hate Everyone Or Lower Salary, Love Everything / PENGASSAN Protests As SAPETRO Fires Workers / 2015 African Rethink Awards For Innovative Startups:Fully Funded To Paris,France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.