Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,592 members, 7,958,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:56 AM

The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold (2487 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / Canadian Visa Lottery 2017/2018 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 01, 2015
It is said the Inuit have dozens of words for snow, which doesn’t seem that impressive when you consider that Canadians as a whole have hundreds of swear words for winter. This year, in much of the country, we’ve been reminded how frigid the season can get. Here’s a guide to the nine stages of Canadian cold, beginning with the mildest form.

1. “Unzipped parka” cold. “Is that all you’ve got, winter? I went to the trouble of wearing this seasonally appropriate garment —but obviously I overestimated you as an adversary. Watch now as I taunt you by exposing my torso to your gentle breezes.”

2. “Fiery thigh” cold. Your upper body is nice and cozy—but underneath your jeans, it’s as though your legs are being stabbed with the points of a thousand tiny spears. Stop stabbing me, weather!

3. “The annoying dude at work who insists it isn’t that cold out” cold. “Guys, what a great ride in on the bike,” he says, thin icicles clinging to his moustache. “Only had to outrace two Yeti HAHAHA.” Under his survival gear is a sweat-soaked wool sweater that for the rest of the day will smell like elk farts. “Only minus-21—who wants to do a quick biathlon loop at lunch?”

4. “Angry car” cold. Most Canadians are familiar with The Pause—that brief moment after you turn the key, but before your vehicle decides to do anything about it. Your car is trying to communicate with you. That’s why it sucked the snow inside when you opened the door. It does not want you to sit there. It does not want to start. It does not like you because it is wicked cold and you are a big fat jerk. Remember that talking car from Knight Rider? If your car could do that, it would be saying the most horrible things about your mother.

5. “Regretting your life decisions” cold. The moment you step outside, the internal monologue begins. “Why do I live here? Why don’t I live somewhere else? I should live somewhere else! I should move! I should move to California! I should move to California today!” This is usually the point at which you realize the plow has left a furrow of snow as tall as a pony in front of your driveway.

6. “I no longer give a crap how I look in public” cold. Please join the TV people who assess ladies’ gowns on Oscar night as they critique the ensemble I just wore while walking the dog.

Giuliana: The Elmer Fudd cap with earflaps—super retro! But what do you think of the parka?

Brad: Could it be any puffier? He makes the Michelin Man look anorexic!

Kathy: Oh, you bitch! I agree it’s unflattering—but I like the accent along the side of the parka.

Guiliana: Pretty sure that’s a dirt stain from rubbing up against his car.

Brad: Try to tear your eyes away from the plaid hat that says to the ladies: “I take my fashion guidance from the man who hunts Bugs Bunny.” Instead, look at his hands: Are those … mittens? Is he wearing mittens? And what’s the logo I see on them—is that Versace?

Giuliana: Volkswagen. He got them for free when he took his car in for an oil change.

Brad: Did he just wipe the snot from his— oh, God.

Kathy: You know those “before” and “after” photos when people lose weight? It’s great to finally have an “after” photo for when someone loses the will to live.

7. “Teenagers actually dress appropriately” cold. We’ve all seen the usual uniform of the teenager in winter: a light spring jacket and sneakers. Presumably, this is a form of defiance against parental wishes. Or possibly evolution has ingrained in them an instinct to believe that members of the opposite sex are attracted to windburn.

8. “Just leave me here to die” cold. It’s been an epic journey, but I’m not going to make it. In retrospect, I see now that I should never have risked winter’s wrath by undertaking this ill-fated expedition to the 7-Eleven down the street. Tell my wife I love her and give her what’s left of this Jos. Louis!

9. “Yeezus” cold. A cold so unbearable that you wish Kanye West had interrupted the changing of the seasons in December and shouted, “Yo, Mother Nature—Imma let you skip ahead to spring.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by tdayof(m): 11:40pm On Mar 01, 2015
Errm.
Beware

Of

Need to sleep first.

1 Like

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 01, 2015

1 Like

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 01, 2015
wake me up by 5am please.. tank your...
Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 12:16am On Mar 02, 2015
3., 4. and 5 is so true.
Sometimes it gets so bad you won't even know there is a vehicle in front of you due to bad visibility but the summer is awesome!

2 Likes

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 12:35am On Mar 02, 2015
saxywale:
3., 4. and 5 is so true.
Sometimes it gets so bad you won't even know there is a vehicle in front of you due to bad visibility.

Yes, so right haha. angry
Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by HopeAtHand: 7:33am On Mar 02, 2015
Entirely Their problem, or are we to expect Snowfall anytime soon in Nigeria?

By The Way, i find the Peice dry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by FemiFaniKayode: 2:48pm On Mar 02, 2015
Morale of this shitty post
Nigerian JJCs overseas are so snow crazy, they talk about it like it is some money spinning business and you begin to wonder if they abhor/like it.
We know say you dey Canada make we hear word, no be only you dey dia bros! If you cannot deal with it pack your gwongoro and move to Bauchi sorry Borno it is freaking tropical grin grin

13 Likes

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by presidentpikin: 5:14pm On Mar 02, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:
Nigerian JJCs overseas are so snow crazy, they talk about it like it is some money spinning business and you begin to wonder if they abhor/like it.
We know say you dey Canada make we hear word, no be only you dey dia bros! If you cannot deal with it pack your gwongoro and move to Bauchi sorry Borno it is freaking tropical grin grin
Oga FFK u son carry your matter come naira land......you welcome

2 Likes

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 02, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

lwkmd, chai nairaland, una go kill person with laugh...... grin
Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 5:57am On Aug 09, 2015
saxywale:
3., 4. and 5 is so true.
Sometimes it gets so bad you won't even know there is a vehicle in front of you due to bad visibility but the summer is awesome!

Yeah summer is really nice! smiley
Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Jaxera(m): 7:20am On Aug 09, 2015
That number 5 and 6 is quite hilarious.

One thing about cold weather conditions like this especially in places like Canada, is that it forces everyone to dress decently, even the sex workers.

2 Likes

Re: The Nine Stages Of Canadian Cold by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
Jaxera:
That number 5 and 6 is quite hilarious.

One thing about cold weather conditions like this especially in places like Canada, is that it forces everyone to dress decently, even the sex workers.

Lmao grin But summer is the other way round.

(1) (Reply)

Transport Fare (warri To Port-harcourt) / History Of The Third Mainland Bridge - 3 Things You Might Not Know / Lagos To Abuja For #16,500, Green Africa Brings Fresh Competition To Aviation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.