Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! (9215 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 11:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:
What may pass off as typical Onitsha names are actually Aniocha/Oshimili names that their forbears brought from there.

Adibua is a common Aniocha name. Another one are the Azi- names (Azike, Azikiwe).

I'm tempted to add Chude/Chukwude/Chukude. Every single person I know with the name is either Aniocha/Oshimili or Onitsha.

Then there is Uwechia (clearly a form of Uwechue). And Nzegwu/ Nzedegwu.

Names beginning with Osa/Ose, though now very widespread were probably originally confined to Ika, Aniocha/Oshimili, Ogbaru and Onitsha.

Don't think so. Osa/Olisa has always been in Idemili,I don't believe it came from outside. God has always been called Chukwu Olisa, in this part of Igboland.

Another typical Onicha name is "Asika".
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I didn't know you are a fellow engineer like me. I studied EE but doing my masters in telecommunications engineering. What's your field?

My first degree was in the natural sciences. But I decided to do something different for my masters. Not core engineering, but related. Oil and gas. In my school it comes under the faculty of engineering, so.. grin
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 06, 2015
s
pazienza:

Don't think so. Osa/Olisa has always been in Idemili,I don't believe it came from outside. God has always been called Chukwu Olisa, in this part of Igboland.

You know an Afikpo man will also insist that his people have always known God as Obasi bi n'elu. But 'Obasi' almost certainly came from somewhere else.

But I won't argue. You are the Idemmili person. You know them better than I do.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 12:19am On Mar 07, 2015
What's the meaning. of "Azikiwe" ?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 12:20am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:
s

You know an Afikpo man will also insist that his people have always known God as Obasi bi n'elu. But 'Obasi' almost certainly came from somewhere else.

But I won't argue. You are the Idemmili person. You know them better than I do.

True, you have a point.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:21am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:

My first degree was in the natural sciences. But I decided to do something different for my masters. Not core engineering, but related. Oil and gas. In my school it comes under the faculty of engineering, so.. grin

grin

Nya, I so na ndi engineer by attache okwia? smiley
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:22am On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:
What's the meaning. of "Azikiwe" ?

Azi ka Iwe = Fun/merriment (from having a good sumptuous meal) is better than anger.

'Igba azi' in Onicha means to eat food, usually in the morning. Igba azi efifie (to have lunch), Igba azi anyasi (to have supper).
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:30am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

grin

Nya, I so na ndi engineer by attache okwia? grin

LOOOOL! grin

Atana m uta, na onye obuna na-acho ebe o ga esi bali ya.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 12:32am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Azi ka Iwe = Fun/merriment (from having a good sumptuous meal) is better than anger.

'Igba azi' in Onicha means to eat food, usually in the morning. Igba azi efifie (to have lunch), Igba azi anyasi (to have supper).

I know the meaning. I was wondering how many other Igbos do.

Igba azi in Idemili means to merry. I see that Onicha learnt well from Idemili.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:33am On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

I have heard some parts of Enugu call it 'Orisa' which leads me to believe that it might be a core Igbo word for 'God' but more popularly used in the Anioma axis.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:36am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igba Azi in Awka also means to eat. But it is restricted to breakfast.

The Azi in Azikiwe (from what I have been told) means something entirely different. It means 'child/children/offspring'. In other Igbo dialects, umu azi means children.

Azikiwe roughly means "(the joy in having) children suppresses/conquers anger/sorrow."

This in any case is what I was told.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:40am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:

LOOOOL! grin

Atana m uta, na onye obuna na-acho ebe o ga esi bali ya.

A yaro m ata yi uta ma ncha. I na-achonu etu o ya-esi bali yi ulu. smiley

Ebe o bu na o oil and gas ka I gulu (ma ya bulugodu nke mmanu nni na cooking gas nke kitchen ka I gulu grin - fa ncha bukwuazi ofu ife afu grin), I ya-akaba aru fu na I nachili azu na bee anyi ka i cholu ofu ezgibo olu na oil and gas industry, gboo? Kee ife I lo?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:41am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

A yaro m ata yi uta ma ncha. I na-achonu etu o ya-esi bali yi ulu. smiley

Ebe o bu na o oil and gas ka I gulu (ma ya bulugodu nke mmanu nni na cooking gas nke kitchen ka I gulu grin - fa ncha bukwuazi ofu ife afu grin), I ya-akaba aru fu na nachili azu na bee anyi ka i cholu ofu ezgibo olu na oil and gas industry, gboo? Kee ife I lo?

Uche m na-agakwa there. Mana ka a na-enegodi anya.

2 Likes

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:43am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:

Igba Azi in Awka also means to eat. But it is restricted to breakfast.

The Azi in Azikiwe (from what I have been told) means something entirely different. It means 'child/children/offspring'. In other Igbo dialects, umu azi means children.

Azikiwe roughly means "(the joy in having) children suppresses/conquers anger/sorrow."

This in any case is what I was told.

That could be another possible meaning. You called your mom this time around? cheesy

In Onicha, Igba azi can be taken further to mean lunch (azi efifie) or dinner (azi anyasi).

Usually, there's always joy and fun in having merry or having a sumptuous meal. It is common to hear 'igba azi' in Igbo to mean 'to have fun' and the translation of Azikiwe as 'having merry and being light-spirited is better than being sad' readily comes to mind before any other possible meanings.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

That could be another possible meaning. You called your mom this time around? cheesy

Usually, there's always joy and fun in having merry or having a sumptuous meal. It is common to hear 'igba azi' in Igbo to mean 'to have fun' and the translation of Azikiwe as 'having merry and being light-spirited is better than being sad' readily comes to mind before any other possible meanings.

LOL. I didn't have to call mom for this one. I heard this particular interpretation a long time ago. cheesy
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:47am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:

LOL. I didn't have to call mom for this one. I heard this particular interpretation a long time ago. cheesy

Rodoillo, nwa mama! cheesy O ngi bu diokpala?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:47am On Mar 07, 2015
While we are on this, how does one translate the common curse: "Azi gbakwa"?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Rodoillo, nwa mama! cheesy O ngi bu diokpala?

Waa oh! grin
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:50am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:
While we are on this, how does one translate the common curse: "Azi gbakwa"?

It is a common curse in the Owerri area. I heard that a lot while growing up. 'Azhi gbakwa'. cheesy
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:51am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:

Waa oh! grin

Lolll...chelu, ngi bu odudu nwa?

Chineke umu israelu! shocked
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It is a common curse in the Owerri area. I heard that a lot while growing up. 'Azhi gbakwa'. cheesy

It's a curse in Awka too. I only want to know if there is an etymological connection with the meaning of 'azi' and 'igba azi' that we've explored here.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 12:56am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Lolll...chelu, ngi bu odudu nwa?

Chineke umu israelu! shocked

Ano m na-etiti na abo. Aburo m ishi, aburo m odu. smiley
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 12:59am On Mar 07, 2015
Radoillo:

Ano m na-etiti na abo. Aburo m ishi, aburo m odu. smiley

Hahaha. Chi gi azo gi.

A ka m aba yi ofu afa kita... cheesy
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Kenfil(f): 2:40am On Mar 07, 2015
Onowu is passing by... I greet u all umunne m
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by agadez007(m): 8:28am On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

d=u are right,olisa has always been the idemili word for the supreme being(God) in my side ''olise'',they rarely offered prayers to him but through other smaller chis,they pour libation to smaller chis to intercede to olise on their behalf
me think chukwu came with christain missionaries into idemili

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 11:33pm On Mar 08, 2015
Azikiwe- The New generation are quick/easy to anger.

Azi- New generation.
From Azi, we got umu azi, meaning children( the New generation)
Kiwe (Kaiwe, olilo udaume took place there)- Easy to anger.

That's my interpretation of the name, Azikiwe. And I don't think I am far from the truth.

*cool*

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 09, 2015
pazienza:

Azi- New generation.

That's my interpretation of the name, Azikiwe. And I don't think I am far from the truth.

*cool*

Oh cool. The 'Azi' in your translation is pretty close to mine.

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by ifyalways(f): 2:47pm On Mar 09, 2015
abiki:

Nwanne m nwanyi, abu m onye umudei.

Afa odu gi bu so mma. Mama mu na aza "Nwamulunamma".
Umudei ebe a ?
Nenu Ogbe-abo, ne Umudei. A ma m ndi be Arimah,Tasia,Aniegboka,Mba etc na Umudei. I bi na Onicha?
Dalu so. kiss
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by strangest(m): 7:37pm On May 15, 2015
Please what is the meaning of "OMOZELE"... Its an Onicha name...
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 15, 2015
strangest:
Please what is the meaning of "OMOZELE"... Its an Onicha name...

Omozele (like Obazele, also written as Obazelu or Obaze) is probably one of those names that came from Benin
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:35pm On May 16, 2015
Most of the names the op listed are actually names that originated from Anambra area and Onicha borrowed them after their arrival.
Ogbatuluenyi....Elephant killer.
Igwenagu....one who wishes for large decendants.
Oseloka....God thought well.
Mbanefo....when a town awakes.
Dakwasienyi....greater than elephant....Nze na Ozo greeting name.

Akukalia....When wealth exceeds....Nze na Ozo name.
Nmilililienyi...the river that drowned an elephant.

These are common Anambra names and greeting names

However, names below can pass as traditional Onicha names.
Ofili.
Nwadei...under probability.
Ochei.....under probability.
Ogbenyeanu...we have it in Idenmili but it may have originated from Onicha.

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by RedCapChief(m): 3:46am On Dec 08, 2016
pazienza:

Azi- New generation.

*cool*

This could be correct. There is a similar meaning in an online book. I just learnt that the 'stretched-out' version of the name is Azikaniwe.

Does anyone know the interpretation of Mbanefo and Nzomiwu? It is most likely taken in context of a larger sentence

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Young Igbo Princess In Traditional Igbo Regalia / A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) / Who Is The Strongest Igwe In Igbo Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.