Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? (72269 Views)

10 Reasons Why People Who Sleep Naked Are Much More Healthier Than You / Why Eating Fishes Is Healthier Than Meat-healinicblog / Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Sweetlemon(f): 2:30pm On Mar 06, 2015
I have noticed that AS carriers are usually the healthiest of all. Why is this so?

My sister who is the only AS carrier in my family never falls sick, she has only been ill twice as a little girl, the worst she complains of is headache except when she's pregnant. The rest of us, especially me fall sick a lot, especially with malaria.
This is not about habits because we all grew up together and we have similar health habits. We are all generally neat and we all had the same diet while growing up.
Why is this so?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by cozy7(m): 2:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
Exact same thing I've always wondered. I'm AA but I often hv malaria typhoid. Despite what they say abt d benefits of AA, I feel it's a Borden for me to be AA. SO DEPRESSING!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Evina(f): 2:35pm On Mar 06, 2015
Is that really the case?

My genotype is AA and I can't recall the last time I was ill. I also know quite a number of people with same genotype as me.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by ritababe(f): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2015
Depend on how you carry urself
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by uboma(m): 3:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
People with AA genotype are more prone to malaria than their counterparts, the AS.

However, your environment and exposure to mosquito contributes to the rate at which an individual with AA gets infected with malaria.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by AZeD1(m): 3:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
The sickle cell hemoglobin in the "AS" person prevents them from having malaria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Sweetlemon(f): 3:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
AZeD1:
The sickle cell hemoglobin in the "AS" person prevents them from having malaria.

I see. But how about other illnesses?

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by AZeD1(m): 4:36pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sweetlemon:

I see. But how about other illnesses?
I don't know about other illnesses.

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Francman(m): 4:50pm On Mar 06, 2015
uboma:
People with AA genotype are more prone to malaria than their counterparts, the AS.

However, your environment and exposure to mosquito contributes to the rate at which an individual with AA gets infected with malaria.
I've heard this and have comfirmed with my 'relationship' with mosquitoes. I hardly fall sick though.

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Seun(m): 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2015

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
ritababe:
Depend on how you treat urself
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Wealthyone: 7:53pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sweetlemon:
I have noticed that AS carriers are usually the healthiest of all. Why is this so?

My sister who is the only AS carrier in my family never falls sick, she has only been ill twice as a little girl, the worst she complains of is headache except when she's pregnant. The rest of us, especially me fall sick a lot, especially with malaria.
This is not about habits because we all grew up together and we have similar health habits. We are all generally neat and we all had the same diet while growing up.
Why is this so?

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by uboma(m): 8:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
Seun:
Sickle cell gene carriers (AS) can be infected by malaria but the symptoms are less severe for them.

Sources:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20450-how-sicklecell-carriers-fend-off-malaria.html
http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Malaria_Resistance_and_Sickle_Cell_Trait

Correction taken.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by englishmart(m): 10:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
ask google pls.
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Abali1(m): 10:18pm On Mar 08, 2015
The S in the AS genotype is resistant to malaria attacks. Wish I can explain it more.

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Vires: 7:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
I'm AA and I haven't had malaria since this millinium started, thats 15 yrs and counting
I'm not abroad oooo and mosquito dey chop me wellwell

8 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by sinaj(f): 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
m AA nd cnt remember d last time I fell ill.

i guess my immune system is as strong as Hulk Hulgan wink

3 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by stepo707: 11:50pm On Mar 17, 2015
So how can one boost immune system.am also tired of treating malaria and typhoid

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by onila(f): 11:51pm On Mar 17, 2015
I am one healthy AA

dont know what u talking about
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by ojaydedon(m): 12:49am On Mar 18, 2015
kinda true.. AA usually are more prone to malaria.. AS are less prone.. This is because of the haemoglobin type.. But for other diseases, dnt knw why... But the persons environment and the persons personal hygiene also plays a role..

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Nitefury: 3:44pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Why is this so?

AS carriers suffer less "malaria" attacks than people with AA and SS genotypes who are prone to it.

I'm not saying saying mosquitos don't bite them..

To start with, once upon a time, our ancestors were all AA. But after thousands of years of Malaria attacks, in order to fight the plasmodium parasites back, they began to undergo some kinda mutation in our genotypes and the sickle cell carrier (AS) was born..

Now how does AS protect against malaria attacks?

There's something called the spleen whose duty is to remove dead and sickled cells from the blood stream.. Now remember the plasmodium parasite lives inside the RBC which are oval in shape.

Now when ever a sickle RBC gets to the spleen, it removes it from the system because the shape is not normal. Now, since the parasite enters the RBC whether sickle or normal, when ever a sickle RBC containing the M.parasite gets to the spleen, it is killed together with the sickle cell.

What this means is, the M.parasite load in an individual with genotype AS is always lower than that of an AA individual. Hence an AA individual would most likely fall ill with malaria than an AS carrier even if they are both exposed to the same levels of mosquito bites.

Other factors like Diet, stress, environment and exposures to Mosquito bites etc. play a role too.

And note, the sickle cell genotype (AS) is found primarily in West Africa and other wet regions of the world.

I just tried to explain in a market woman's language so as not to confuse you..

You might wanna carry out further research online. Searching google for "Genotype AS and possible protective role against malaria" would be a good start.

16 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by jamace(m): 5:10pm On Apr 16, 2015
I read somewhere that AA blood is sweeter than AS blood to mosquitoes. So if AA and AS persons are in a room, the mosquitoes will daze the AA person and ignore the AS person. grin grin I monitored the assertion and it is actually true. The mosquitoes rarely suck from AS person when AA person is available. grin grin You think say mosquito no know better thing? Mosquitoes too no wan catch sickle cell o. grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Juzzybabe(f): 8:59am On Apr 17, 2015
cozy7:
Exact same thing I've always wondered. I'm AA but I often hv malaria typhoid. Despite what they say abt d benefits of AA, I feel it's a Borden for me to be AA. SO DEPRESSING!!

Wow! Am sure it would have been so uplifting if you had ended up being SS.
Anyway,am AA and I hardly fall ill.somtimes I even fake being sick because I wanna be pampered grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by JuanDeDios: 7:40am On Jun 07, 2015
Nitefury:

AS carriers suffer less "malaria" attacks than people with AA and SS genotypes who are prone to it.

I'm not saying saying mosquitos don't bite them..

To start with, once upon a time, our ancestors were all AA. But after thousands of years of Malaria attacks, in order to fight the plasmodium parasites back, they began to undergo some kinda mutation in our genotypes and the sickle cell carrier (AS) was born..

Now how does AS protect against malaria attacks?

There's something called the spleen whose duty is to remove dead and sickled cells from the blood stream.. Now remember the plasmodium parasite lives inside the RBC which are oval in shape.

Now when ever a sickle RBC gets to the spleen, it removes it from the system because the shape is not normal. Now, since the parasite enters the RBC whether sickle or normal, when ever a sickle RBC containing the M.parasite gets to the spleen, it is killed together with the sickle cell.

What this means is, the M.parasite load in an individual with genotype AS is always lower than that of an AA individual. Hence an AA individual would most likely fall ill with malaria than an AS carrier even if they are both exposed to the same levels of mosquito bites.

Other factors like Diet, stress, environment and exposures to Mosquito bites etc. play a role too.

And note, the sickle cell genotype (AS) is found primarily in West Africa and other wet regions of the world.

I just tried to explain in a market woman's language so as not to confuse you..

You might wanna carry out further research online. Searching google for "Genotype AS and possible protective role against malaria" would be a good start.
Right.

I'd just like to add that this is an evolutionary process. Thousands of years in the future when it would have been complete there'd be no sicklers. AS/SS people would be superhealthy while AA folks will remain prone to malaria unless they're bred out.

1 Like

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 9:30am On Jun 07, 2015
I am AA and I feel this op. I sleep under mosquito net every night, spray my house everyday and kill mosquitoes with my palms anytime I locate any one anywhere(my hubby finds this embarRassing lol)

But still mosquitoes won't let me rest with malaria. I am typing from the hospital bed. No thanks to malaria.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by juliato(f): 5:22am On Jul 20, 2016
Vires:
I'm AA and I haven't had malaria since this millinium started, thats 15 yrs and counting
I'm not abroad oooo and mosquito dey chop me wellwell
pls enlighten me more
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by kokomilala(m): 12:58pm On Jul 20, 2016
Are you sure? And, are there unfaulted sound scientific backings for it? I'm AA, pre-1994, I was always failing health: typhoid and malaria.But, since then, I've never been to the hospital.My health is very sound.My immune system is bolstered everyday by what I take.So,diseases and illnesses don't have any claim on me.
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by kokomilala(m): 1:01pm On Jul 20, 2016
And, if anyone needs help concerning malaria, I'm willing to humbly help.I've discovered how to finally prevent it.
Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 20, 2016
.........for many of you above me telling us of how you hardly fall ill despite being AA, well lemme explain it to you. Two reasons :
> Frequent malaria infections have made your defense system get used to the plasmodium parasites and so they easily combat it before the clinical manifestation of malaria.
Logically, an enemy you prepare soo well for, you'd easily tackle him in battle. That's what we call Acquired Immunity
> Drawing from the above point, you have a robust immune system which is proactive. Thanks to increased knowledge, good living habit, good nutrition etc.
I am AA too and it's been years I took ill.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 20, 2016
Sweetlemon:

Why is this so?
I stil remember my hematology lectures of years back vividly........ AA genotype are more prone to infections (esp malaria) than AS, this is because of the configuration of the RBC cell wall. It's orientation gives it a larger surface area which permits the bugs to settle well and do their thang.
AS on the other hand, though they less frequently have malaria buh when they do have it, o boy! It's be as severe as you can imagine.
SS are most prone to ailments because their RBC cell wall configuration makes them very fragile to cell lysis by the bugs.
BTW OP, saying AS carrier is tautology, AS by default is a carrier of the sickler gene.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are AS Carriers Usually Healthier Than AA Carriers? by edaz01(m): 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2018
kokomilala:
And, if anyone needs help concerning malaria, I'm willing to humbly help.I've discovered how to finally prevent it.

How please?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Kind Of Brutal STD/STI Can Cause This, (graphic Picture) / Drug Abuse: Slaymama Poses With Bottles Of Codeine Syrup And Milk. / Photos Of Man With Butt Implants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.