Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,641 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally (1978 Views)

Driver Sleeps In Vehicle For A Month To Catch Serial Car Scratcher. Can You? / Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) / DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by oba009(m): 4:50am On Mar 07, 2015
Good day nairalander, the increasing in the issues of time belt is getting me worry especially in all this vehicle that are not common in our road. Example Mitsubishi space wagon GDI to mention one.
My questions are:

1. What are the signs your time belt need to be replaced.
2. Any interval for the replacement like we always do for engine oil.
3. Peradventure yours is not visible, hope the mechanic will not damage the engine while trying to remove it.

please your contribution if you experience it before and how did you solve will be appreciated.

thanks.
Re: Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54am On Mar 07, 2015
It varies bwteen engine types, recomended change interval for most 4cylinders is 80,000km v6 120-160,000 (peugeot) v8 I don't know v12 I don't know google is ur friend.
Re: Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by DECOtech(m): 9:25am On Mar 07, 2015
oba009:
Good day nairalander, the increasing in the issues of time belt is getting me worry especially in all this vehicle that are not common in our road. Example Mitsubishi space wagon GDI to mention one.
My questions are:

1. What are the signs your time belt need to be replaced.
2. Any interval for the replacement like we always do for engine oil.
3. Peradventure yours is not visible, hope the mechanic will not damage the engine while trying to remove it.

please your contribution if you experience it before and how did you solve will be appreciated.

thanks.

For your Mitsubishi GDI which is an "interference engine" (type that bends valves when timing belt snaps), your timing belt change interval should be at about 60,000miles if its an OEM belt. (Manufacturer specified)
Re: Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by oba009(m): 10:44am On Mar 07, 2015
Thanks, hope the mechanics will not by this spoil anything in the engine.

DECOtech:

For your Mitsubishi GDI which is an "interference engine" (type that bends valves when timing belt snaps), your timing belt change interval should be at about 60,000miles if its an OEM belt. (Manufacturer specified)
Re: Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by DECOtech(m): 11:44am On Mar 07, 2015
Lolz!
oba009:
Thanks, hope the mechanics will not by this spoil anything in the engine.

You can do it yourself if you know how. Doctors or lawyers don't work on cars but mechanics. wink wink wink(just kidding)

All mechanics are equal, but some are more equal than others cool cool cool grin

1 Like

Re: Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by Readonee35L(m): 12:23pm On Mar 07, 2015
Why do people have issues with this motor like this
I used too have one till 2012
Manual Transmission
And I tell u its A Cool Ride
The 2.4L Gdi engine is a horse, I had over 375,000km
in that ride with the engine that came with it
Known issues
The legs , I work on them every 8months because
they start making some kind of noise on bad roads
Lik 15k to fix... So affordable
I service with recommended oil every 5months
Plugs easily Go out. , as for dt one I replace them
twice a year
I had my timing belt snapped Thrice
The first time my valves Got Bent
2nd and 3rd the valves survived
All this 3 snaps withing 7000km
The culprit was one of the pulleys that drives the
belt
It was replaced
And since then she worked fine for a long time till I
sold it when I bought My dodge charger
I serviced nozzles too for dirts
.. Never had any issues with fuel system or pump or
Gdi problem
Owned it for 4years
Overall Nice car and Awesome Fuel Economy
Re: Please What Are The Signs For Replacement Of Time Belt In Vehicle Generally by oba009(m): 3:46pm On Mar 10, 2015
You are the first person that comment good on this car, though I have not experience time belt issue and i dont want to experience it so I got to take precaution. The reason is that I have seeing quite a number of users stranded here in Abuja because when the time belt cut it affect valve which will later result to ordering for another engine.There is case now that have being packed for close to a year in a mechanic shop the current issues on that is the electrical system even after they place new engine of close to 120k.

Mine is still within a year that I ordered it from germany and i dont want to experience that ugly side as the machine is good.

Thanks all the same.

Readonee35L:
Why do people have issues with this motor like this
I used too have one till 2012
Manual Transmission
And I tell u its A Cool Ride
The 2.4L Gdi engine is a horse, I had over 375,000km
in that ride with the engine that came with it
Known issues
The legs , I work on them every 8months because
they start making some kind of noise on bad roads
Lik 15k to fix... So affordable
I service with recommended oil every 5months
Plugs easily Go out. , as for dt one I replace them
twice a year
I had my timing belt snapped Thrice
The first time my valves Got Bent
2nd and 3rd the valves survived
All this 3 snaps withing 7000km
The culprit was one of the pulleys that drives the
belt
It was replaced
And since then she worked fine for a long time till I
sold it when I bought My dodge charger
I serviced nozzles too for dirts
.. Never had any issues with fuel system or pump or
Gdi problem
Owned it for 4years
Overall Nice car and Awesome Fuel Economy

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Price Of First Grade Tokunbo Engine For Mazda 626 / Is There A Peculiar Problem With Nissan Murano / Corolla/matrix Vs Accord Discussion Continues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.