Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

I Really Don't Get It ??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Really Don't Get It ??? (1032 Views)

Please Guys, I Really Need Some Good Laravel Ebooks / Nairalanders I Really Need Your Help / Reasons Why Many Programmers Don't Get Jobs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Really Don't Get It ??? by skillzy101(m): 8:55pm On Mar 07, 2015
I have been reading a lot of stuffs on Google prescribed sites regarding the issue of web development and java programming.
Well the thing is i am actually a web developer and i am beginning to love java due to the fact that you can use it to create mobile apps and a lot of other cool stuffs, which is actually where the world tech is heading to, but then i kinda get confused and discouraged when i stumble on a bunch of realistic and unrealistic things that certain people say about my dear Java. So my Question is; Why do most Nigerian Programmers prefer Web Development to Desktop Application Development(Java) ? and please what are the best6 measures to take when learning Java? undecided[color=#006600][/color] .
Would also love it if there is anyone who is already in the field(Java programming) who would put me through the right path and possibly send me a p.m or something. cool

1 Like

Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by Craigston: 12:18am On Mar 08, 2015
Uh, most developers go for web development because it's easy to pack trash-worthy stuff into a hosting plan, give it to a less-informed client and cart away his/her cash, thereby giving the client less use value for more cash value. And it may be because of lack of innovation too. When desktop application is suggested, many persons don't think what has not been made yet. And those language wars are disgusting.
Forget those things I typed: I'm a novice.
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by Craigston: 12:19am On Mar 08, 2015
Uh, most developers go for web development because it's easy to pack trash-worthy stuff into a hosting plan, give it to a less-informed client and cart away his/her cash, thereby giving the client less use value for more cash value. And it may be because of lack of innovation too. When desktop application is suggested, many persons don't think what has not been made yet. And those language wars are disgusting.
Forget those things I typed: I'm a novice.
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by toshodei: 4:23pm On Mar 08, 2015
skillzy101:
I have been reading a lot of stuffs on Google prescribed sites regarding the issue of web development and java programming.
Well the thing is i am actually a web developer and i am beginning to love java due to the fact that you can use it to create mobile apps and a lot of other cool stuffs, which is actually where the world tech is heading to, but then i kinda get confused and discouraged when i stumble on a bunch of realistic and unrealistic things that certain people say about my dear Java. So my Question is; Why do most Nigerian Programmers prefer Web Development to Desktop Application Development(Java) ? and please what are the best6 measures to take when learning Java? undecided[color=#006600][/color] .
Would also love it if there is anyone who is already in the field(Java programming) who would put me through the right path and possibly send me a p.m or something. cool

I dont think it is a matter of Nigerians preferring Web Apps to Desktop App, (although Web Development with HTML, CSS & JS is easier than Desktop Develpment with Java, C, C++, VB, etc) I think it is a matter of which one is more profitable. Think about it. People make WAY MORE MONEY with Web apps. than Desktop Apps. How many Africans (including Nigerians) have Laptops/Computers compare to those who have Feature Phones or Smart Phones? How many people in the whole world use Desktop Apps when there is about a Web App Replacement for each one?

Majority of Desktop Apps dont make money any more. Everyone is the on the net. Everyone uses web or cloud apps for desktop apps.
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by skillzy101(m): 4:31pm On Mar 08, 2015
[quote author=Craigston post=31408315][/quote]

Yea... i kinda agree with you on this one "When desktop application is suggested, many persons don't think what has not been made yet" cool, because i totally don't know why most Nigerian programmers don't go into the desktop application creation platform, and the most annoying thing about the whole thing is that they are the ones that frequent Softonic and Google Playstore to download mobile and desktop apps designed and implemented by Programmers in other countries.
One of the most disappointing part of the whole thing is that everyone keep saying bullshit like "Desktop Applications don't make waves in Nigeria", none of the big headed ignorant folks has ever asked the question "What do you want to create".. In fact i recently met with one of my Lecturers whom i really respect when it comes to logical reasoning and programming, i told him i wanted to leave the web development platform for a while and start learning java, and what he said to me was kinda a big shock to me because i was kinda expecting him to say something contrary to what a bunch of folks on Nairaland and other sites are saying, but Em fall my HAND sad. He told me that Desktop application development doesn't really pay in Nigeria, and a lot other stuffs that he said, and this whole thing makes me ask the questions;
1. Do we always have to love a profession because of the amount of money that it puts in our pocket?
2. Are we Nigerian trying to say that there is no Desktop application that we can develop that has never been developed?
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by Craigston: 8:55pm On Mar 08, 2015
skillzy101:

Yea... i kinda agree with you on this one "When desktop application is suggested, many persons don't think what has not been made yet" cool, because i totally don't know why most Nigerian programmers don't go into the desktop application creation platform, and the most annoying thing about the whole thing is that they are the ones that frequent Softonic and Google Playstore to download mobile and desktop apps designed and implemented by Programmers in other countries.
One of the most disappointing part of the whole thing is that everyone keep saying bullshit like "Desktop Applications don't make waves in Nigeria", none of the big headed ignorant folks has ever asked the question "What do you want to create".. In fact i recently met with one of my Lecturers whom i really respect when it comes to logical reasoning and programming, i told him i wanted to leave the web development platform for a while and start learning java, and what he said to me was kinda a big shock to me because i was kinda expecting him to say something contrary to what a bunch of folks on Nairaland and other sites are saying, but Em fall my HAND sad. He told me that Desktop application development doesn't really pay in Nigeria, and a lot other stuffs that he said, and this whole thing makes me ask the questions;
1. Do we always have to love a profession because of the amount of money that it puts in our pocket?
2. Are we Nigerian trying to say that there is no Desktop application that we can develop that has never been developed?
When you talk of desktop and mobile applications, all they think of is game development, chat app and a host of other stuff that's already existing. And, most times, their target is the Nigerian market--a tech-hostile market for now.
When you mention web development, what hurries into many minds is: building another social media; blogging (I wonder how opening a blog account relates to development); getting clients to develop sites for; building a new forum, betting site and other already existing services in the same fashion.
I hope I'll be different. Just a stray beginner. May I stray into the right place.
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by Craigston: 8:56pm On Mar 08, 2015
skillzy101:

Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by skillzy101(m): 10:13pm On Mar 08, 2015
Craigston:
When you talk of desktop and mobile applications, all they think of is game development, chat app and a host of other stuff that's already existing. And, most times, their target is the Nigerian market--a tech-hostile market for now.
When you mention web development, what hurries into many minds is: building another social media; blogging (I wonder how opening a blog account relates to development); getting clients to develop sites for; building a new forum, betting site and other already existing services in the same fashion.
I hope I'll be different. Just a stray beginner. May I stray into the right place.

Sure! you can be different that's if you want to. I like the way you reason, it's as if you reaped out everything that was in my head and said it back to me...... Well i am a bit of a beginner myself, but have created some stuffs, mostly school projects though. Well i hope to be seeing more of you cool.. PEACE!
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by danvery2k6(m): 7:34am On Mar 09, 2015
1. First notion i will want you to correct before starting the Java programming Language is that: Java is not just for Desktop but java is a multipurpose language that can be used for almost any platform.

2. When you talk of web development i do hope you are not limited to flashy websites and the lots. But you also know that there are enterprise applications that run on the browser, similar in functionality to those that run on the desktop.

3. people are moving to web because, obviously, that is the trend.
Re: I Really Don't Get It ??? by CodeHouse: 9:52am On Mar 09, 2015
There are some apps that are meant to function well on a phone and others integrate well on as Desktop App.

Emphasis should be placed on functionality and purpose not if mobile app is profitable than desktop app (infact to answer that question, YES Desktop App is more profitable, only those who develop great commercial Desktop apps will say thesame).

Desktop App developers have stepped up, now they create cloud applications to make up for limitations like update, downloads, annd YES there are so many ideas waiting to become exectables on the regular PC.

I bet I can come up with an idea that can never function as a mobile or web App but very easy to convert your mobile app idea to something meaningful on PC.

The only advantage of the "mobile thing" over PC is just mobiltiy, and maybe the fact that most people are phone owners (well I still don't find this important as games and so many other apps that does not generate revenue for the phone owners are what you find on the playstore, most are utility apps like themes, players, grabbers, file transferr apps, etc

The battle of whether Desktop apps will one day go into extinction is like that of paper and electonics...if you feel paper will disappear, then start thinking of wipping your A.ss with an ipad.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Download This Android Game For Nigerians / Professional Advice Please!! / D Gurus Wie Are U?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.