Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

10 Popular School Idioms - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Popular School Idioms (547 Views)

10 Popular School Idioms / 500+ Idioms To Expect In JAMB CBT This Year / 10 Popular Universities That Are Not Competitive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Popular School Idioms by TRWConsult(m): 8:55am On Mar 10, 2015
10 Popular School Idioms

Ready for some school idioms? Let’s get to it and make this schoolhouse rock! Here is a list of ten popular education idioms and examples of how to use them:

1. A for effort! - recognizing that someone tried hard to accomplish something, although they might not have been successful.

Example: “The cake didn’t turn out like she had planned, but I give her an A for effort!”

2. Copycat- someone who copies the work (or mimics the actions) of others

Example: “Janie is a copycat- she was looking at my answers while we were taking the test!”

3. Learn (something) by heart- to memorize something completely

Example: “I have played that song so many times that I have learned it by heart and don’t even have to look at the music.”

4. Pass with flying colors- to pass (a test) easily and with a high score

Example: “Todd must have studied a long time because he passed the test with flying colors.”

5. Play hooky- to skip school

Example: “My friends are playing hooky today so they can be first in line for concert tickets this afternoon.”

6. Drop out of school- to stop attending school

Example: “Maurice had to drop out of school when his mother became ill so that he could help take care of her.”

7. Put your thinking cap on- to think in a serious manner

Example: “We’re all going to have to put our thinking caps on to tackle this big problem.”

8. Show of hands- raising hands to vote about something

Example: “By a show of hands, how many of you would prefer to have the test on Friday?”

9. Teacher’s pet- the teacher’s favorite student

Example: “Jonathan is the teacher’s pet- she always calls on him first.”

10. Bookworm- someone who reads a lot

Example: “She is such a bookworm! She seems to have a new book every day!”

There are plenty more school-related idioms; are there any that you can think of? Share with us!

Jessica Weeg

(1) (Reply)

Warning: Free Result Checking Expires After 5 Uses / Warning: UTME Cut-off Marks Can Change / Federal College Of Education, Akoka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.