Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,019 members, 7,953,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:43 AM

Google Takes Out Nigeria From Its 2 Factor Authentication? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Google Takes Out Nigeria From Its 2 Factor Authentication? (585 Views)

Check How To Set Up Two-factor Authentication For Apple ID | Icloud Account / 2016 Top 20 Internet User By Country : Check Out Nigeria Rank / Can I Get A Product Purchase Outside Nigeria From JUMIA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Google Takes Out Nigeria From Its 2 Factor Authentication? by Marv650(m): 12:08am On Mar 11, 2015
#listenupgoogle
At around the launch of Google+, a friend, Tim Akinbo had written a
blog post on why every gmail account owner should be using
Google’s 2 factor authentication to further reduce the chances of
someone’s email being hacked. As a Gmail user, I went on to
activate 2 factor authentication on my account without any hassles.
I have been impressed with the service after using it for a couple of
months, and I felt the need to refer a friend to do same. To my
surprise however, my friend could not find Nigeria on the list of
countries, preventing him from proceeding with enabling the
security feature. Before crying foul, I logged into my account to
verify what country is attached to my profile; it was back to the
default, Afghanistan (starting letter A).
The 2 factor works by asking you to provide a phone number (and
a corresponding country) with which to recieve a ‘code’ to login to
your email account, in addition to your password. The country you
select determines what phone number pattern you should have.
However, with Nigeria removed from the list of countries, Google
has effectively denied new Nigerians users from using the service.
My 2 factor authentication service still works though.
As I write this post, I’m appalled and at the same time worried on
why Google would remove Nigeria from the list of countries that
could use two factor Authentication. Was it a system mistake, an
engineer’s oversight, a deliberate attempt to alienate? Could this
have been as a result of the conclusion in the “ Mugged in Madrid”
hacking story, where the author mentions that his gmail account
hacker could have been from Lagos, Nigeria?
Google had better not be evil on this one! Google Nigeria note this!
Noting all other Google’s strange behaviors

Re: Google Takes Out Nigeria From Its 2 Factor Authentication? by hammedkola(m): 12:56am On Mar 11, 2015
Marv650:
#listenupgoogle
At around the launch of Google+, a friend, Tim Akinbo had written a blog post on why every gmail account owner should be using Google’s 2 factor authentication to further reduce the chances of someone’s email being hacked.

As I write this post, I’m appalled and at the same time worried on why Google would remove Nigeria from the list of countries that could use two factor Authentication. Was it a system mistake, an engineer’s oversight, a deliberate attempt to alienate? Could this have been as a result of the conclusion in the “ Mugged in Madrid” hacking story, where the author mentions that his gmail account hacker could have been from Lagos, Nigeria? Google had better not be evil on this one! Google Nigeria note this! Noting all other Google’s strange behaviors

Mr Seun Osewa, please come and answer this question

(1) (Reply)

Ignite Idea Contest. Competition For Entrepreneurs. Check It Out / *sixth Mass Extinction* / How To Protect Yourself From Identity Theft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.