Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. (1360 Views)

See The Latest Condom That Is Very Strong, It Cant Be Punctured With A Needle / Am I Infected With Measles Or Heat Rash? / Probability Of Contracting 6 Most Common Stds In One Sexual Encounter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by obiZEAL(m): 12:31pm On Mar 11, 2015
what are the chances of Getting infected by a needle prick.
Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Mar 11, 2015
Sorry to hear.

Multiple studies show chances of acquiring HIV after needlestick exposure is 0.3%, so 99.7% of those with needle-stick HIV exposure do NOT acquire it.

I say your chances of negative serum is pretty good, and even better with your post exposure prophylaxis.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/faq/bloodborne_exposures.htm

This is a highly credible source from United States Dept. of Health. So you can bank on it for sure.

3 Likes

Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by obiZEAL(m): 4:31pm On Mar 11, 2015
Xiadnat:
Sorry to hear.

Multiple studies show chances of acquiring HIV after needlestick exposure is 0.3%, so 99.7% of those with needle-stick HIV exposure do NOT acquire it.

I say your chances of negative serum is pretty good, and even better with your post exposure prophylaxis.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/faq/bloodborne_exposures.htm

This is a highly credible source from United States Dept. of Health. So you can bank on it for sure.

thanks a lot...
Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by obiZEAL(m): 4:35pm On Mar 11, 2015
Sissy3,
Centje,
Dominique
Please help me get more replies.
Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 12, 2015
obiZEAL:
thanks a lot...
I appreciate.
But dyu know anyone that have such kind of exposure and come out negative.

There is really no point in worrying about that. Just focus on yourself! Finish the post exposure ppx and retake the test.

1 Like

Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by Harkynkunle(m): 11:29pm On Mar 12, 2015
Xiadnat:

There is really no point in worrying about that. Just focus on yourself! Finish the post exposure ppx and retake the test.
Hi sis... this happens to a very close frnd of mine... who later confide in me d@...his long time girl frnd was tested positive to HIV, while he wasn't despite aving done d test (6) times... since their last exposure in december 2014... despite aving done this test, my frnd is still restless coz he doesn't believe his status yet... as some docs says it might takes 6 months since d last exposure before someone tests positive... secondly aw swiftly does HIV determine rapid kit detects d virus...
ur response be will highly appreciated
Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by FRCS(m): 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2015
The chance is insignificant as it depends on factors like the blood sample viral load; your HIV status before the prick; your compliance post exposure prophylaxis and avoidance of all risk factors (esp xx wit ....)

So;

I see no cause for alarm

1 Like

Re: Probability of Getting infected by a needle prick. by obiZEAL(m): 10:13am On Mar 13, 2015
FRCS:
The chance is insignificant as it depends on factors like the blood sample viral load; your HIV status before the prick; your compliance post exposure prophylaxis and avoidance of all risk factors (esp xx wit ....)

So;

I see no cause for alarm
Thanks a lot boss.

(1) (Reply)

Prevent Tooth Decay With Coconut Oil / Are U In Abuja And Looking For Where To Get Original Agbo( Traditional Herbs)? / How To Fix Knock Knees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.