Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

Meet Apple’s New Macbook - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Meet Apple’s New Macbook (1287 Views)

Behold The New Macbook From Apple / New Macbook Pro Without Standard USB Ports To Be Launched By Apple Next Week / 15 Amazing Facts About The NEW Macbook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Apple’s New Macbook by baseg25(m): 5:33pm On Mar 11, 2015
[b]
Apple unveiled a new type of laptop at its March 9 event: the MacBook, with no "Pro" or "Air" or any other suffix.

At just 13.1mm at its thickest point, the laptop is Apple's thinnest ever, and it features a redesigned keyboard, too. To top things off, it has a single port for practically everything — the USB-C connector can supply power, connect to USB devices as well as extend to a separate display (the laptop still has a headphone jack, too).
Forget all your wires and cables.

The most interesting part is , , You won't need them if you buy Apple's new MacBook -- it only has two ports.Here's what you need to know

1. The body is tapered like the MacBook Air. At its thickest, the new 12-inch MacBook is 13.1mm high (about half an inch) -- 24% thinner than the existing 11-inch MacBook Air.

"Can you even see it? I can't even see it," Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, said on stage at an Apple event Monday afternoon, holding a closed laptop.

2. It weighs two pounds. For comparison, the MacBook Air weighs almost two-and-a-half pounds. The iPad Air 2 weighs just under one pound.

3. Taking a page from the iPhone design book, the new, all-metal body MacBook comes in three different colors: silver, gray, and gold.

4. The new MacBook is fanless, which is partly why the laptop is so thin and light.

5. There are only two ports. One is a headphone port, and the other port is for a new kind of USB connector called the USB-C. The USB-C port is about a third of the size of a standard USB port, and serves as a single connection point to charge the laptop's batteries, transfer data, and transmit video.

For consumers who want to use their existing, standard USB devices with the laptop, this new USB format will most likely be a pain point. An adapter dongle for the USB-C port costs $80 on the Apple store.

6. Apple has also redesigned the keyboard, which now extends to the edges of the laptop. The keyboard has also been updated to respond to lighter touches, meaning less pounding when typing. The surface of each key is also 17% larger and is lit by individual LED lights underneath "for more precise illumination," Schiller said.

7. The computer's track pad also got a nice upgrade. Like the new Apple Watch, the track pad is now powered by Apple's new Taptic Engine, which picks up on how forceful a touch or tap is. For example, instead of clicking repeatedly on the fast forward button on Quicktime to speed up a video, you only need to press down on the new track pad a little longer and harder than a tap to achieve the same goal.

8. On stage at the event, Schiller said the new MacBook is the "world's most energy-efficient notebook." The laptop's Intel Core M processor consumes five watts of power, and its newly designed and contoured battery cells have 35% more capacity.

9. The new MacBook has a battery life of up to 10 hours.

10. The cost for a new 12-inch MacBook 1.1 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with 256GB of flash storage starts $1,299. A 12-inch 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor MacBook with 512GB of flash storage starts at $1,599.

[/b]
source : http://techcribng.com/apples-new-macbook/
Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by HyDef(m): 5:56pm On Mar 11, 2015
A fine machine indeed. I'm not one for Apple products, but it looks good.

The biggest issue is USB-C. I have to lay $80 down for a dongle? Well, I just paid over a $1,300 for a laptop like that, so I guess it's not too bad to those who can afford such.

Another issue though is that you'll have to buy all sorts of ridiculous new accessories just so you can plug them into the USB-C port. New HDMI cable and all other cables you know. Anything that uses USB, you have 2 options, buy the dongle, or buy new accessories.
Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by Fulaman198(m): 6:40pm On Mar 11, 2015
In my honest opinion, it sucks. In that price range, it should be powerful enough for an engineer to use. It clearly is not since it's utilising an Intel Core-M dual core processor (which is very midrange at best). Not quite as powerful as the previous iteration of the MacBook, but w/e fanatics will still buy it. That's just my 2 kobo.
Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by Fulaman198(m): 6:53pm On Mar 11, 2015
HyDef:

The biggest issue is USB-C. I have to lay $80 down for a dongle? Well, I just paid over a $1,300 for a laptop like that, so I guess it's not too bad to those who can afford such.

Another issue though is that you'll have to buy all sorts of ridiculous new accessories just so you can plug them into the USB-C port. New HDMI cable and all other cables you know. Anything that uses USB, you have 2 options, buy the dongle, or buy new accessories.

With that money you could have purchased a mobile workstation which has a lot more power:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w541/
Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by HyDef(m): 7:45pm On Mar 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

With that money you could have purchased a mobile workstation which has a lot more power:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w541/

Truly. A lot of the price on Apple products is due to reputation. Well earned though.

And you could get a great gamer from Lenovo at that price. Anything in the Y series would leave anyone nothing less than happy.

When you buy a Macbook though, you just aren't looking for the same things, I guess.
Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by Fulaman198(m): 7:54pm On Mar 11, 2015
HyDef:

Truly. A lot of the price on Apple products is due to reputation. Well earned though.

And you could get a great gamer from Lenovo at that price. Anything in the Y series would leave anyone nothing less than happy.

When you buy a Macbook though, you just aren't looking for the same things, I guess.

Absolutely, the Y40 and Y50 are both great devices, but I don't game too much, so a mobile workstation (which also has a dedicated GPU though for us engineers/engineering students and people who do CAD). I just feel that Lenovo/IBM has great reputation as well.
Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by HyDef(m): 9:33pm On Mar 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

Absolutely, the Y40 and Y50 are both great devices, but I don't game too much, so a mobile workstation (which also has a dedicated GPU though for us engineers/engineering students and people who do CAD). I just feel that Lenovo/IBM has great reputation as well.

I game a LOT so a dedicated GPU is a must in any system I get, partial to Nvidia's GTXs for some reason. I just don't like Radeon, maybe due to compatibility issues. But yeah, not everyone needs a GPU, but I still find it amazing purchasing a laptop at such a price, and it can't run games the way I want it to.
No matter what, people are still gonna line up around the block to purchase this cuz it's Apple, and they have their extremely loyal fanbase.
Me though? I'd probably get an Asus ROG series laptop instead.

1 Like

Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by Fulaman198(m): 9:36pm On Mar 11, 2015
HyDef:

I game a LOT so a dedicated GPU is a must in any system I get, partial to Nvidia's GTXs for some reason. I just don't like Radeon, maybe due to compatibility issues. But yeah, not everyone needs a GPU, but I still find it amazing purchasing a laptop at such a price, and it can't run games the way I want it to.
No matter what, people are still gonna line up around the block to purchase this cuz it's Apple, and they have their extremely loyal fanbase.
Me though? I'd probably get an Asus ROG series laptop instead.

Well the W541 does have a dedicated GPU as it is a mobile workstation that is used mainly by Engineers and Architects who design utilizing CAD software. However, gaming on it is not done often even though it can handle games. Typically speaking Workstations can be as powerful if not more powerful than a gaming computer.

1 Like

Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by HyDef(m): 11:51pm On Mar 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

Well the W541 does have a dedicated GPU as it is a mobile workstation that is used mainly by Engineers and Architects who design utilizing CAD software. However, gaming on it is not done often even though it can handle games. Typically speaking Workstations can be as powerful if not more powerful than a gaming computer.

Oh, okay. I think an example of a workstation typical GPU is the Nvidia Quadro series.

I'm also betting that workstation laptops go for a lot more mature look than gaming laptops yet with a lot of power still under the hood.

I'm betting also that Macbook users might term their product as a workstation laptop. If not, they'd probably just declare that they are in a category of their own. :p

1 Like

Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by Fulaman198(m): 11:56pm On Mar 11, 2015
HyDef:

Oh, okay. I think an example of a workstation typical GPU is the Nvidia Quadro series.

I'm also betting that workstation laptops go for a lot more mature look than gaming laptops yet with a lot of power still under the hood.

I'm betting also that Macbook users might term their product as a workstation laptop. If not, they'd probably just declare that they are in a category of their own. :p

Yep, that's absolutely true. You can still game on them, but they have more of a matured look about them.

Well the new Macbook is definitely not a Workstation cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, however the Macbook Pro 15" could pass for one. I know what you mean about Mac users though. They want to be in their own category because they honest believe that their products are the best/better.

1 Like

Re: Meet Apple’s New Macbook by baseg25(m): 4:42pm On Mar 12, 2015
HyDef:

true talk bro.

(1) (Reply)

Insider Preview Of What Of To Expect From Windows 10 (snapshots) / HP Pavilion X360 Notebook 15" / Clean HP Laptop For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.