Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,376 members, 7,819,367 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Is Paying Money For Jerrycan In A Filling Station Riba? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Paying Money For Jerrycan In A Filling Station Riba? (524 Views)

The Issue Of Pocket Money For Wives !!! / 8 Basic Errors Muslims Make When Paying Zakat Al-fitr / 8 Basic Errors We Make When Paying Zakat Al-fitr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Paying Money For Jerrycan In A Filling Station Riba? by Bamoha(m): 7:26pm On Mar 11, 2015
Asalamu alaikum
During this recent fuel scarcity the filling stations refuse to sell fuel into jerrycans unless they collect a bribe of 200 naira and above depending on how big the jerrycan is....i came across this hadith of the holy prophet(S A W) that

Abdullah bin Mas'ud reported: The
Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi
wa sallam) cursed the one who accepts
Ar-Riba (the usury) and the one who
pays it. (Muslim)

and i began to wonder wether i av been sinfull for paying the money....have i?
Re: Is Paying Money For Jerrycan In A Filling Station Riba? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Mar 14, 2015
No bro. Riba means interest... a fixed amount over and above a borrowed principal sum of money to be repayed back to the borrower.

What you are doing is not haram. The sellers want to sell their petrol at N87 per litre, and N200 extra. It is their property, and they can sell it for any amount they like; so I am not even sure you can call it a bribe. And since you are neither borrowing money from them, nor deferring payment till a later date, there is no question of interest (riba) in the transaction.

Allah of course, knows best.

1 Like

Re: Is Paying Money For Jerrycan In A Filling Station Riba? by Bamoha(m): 1:04pm On Mar 15, 2015
Abuamam:
No bro. Riba means interest... a fixed amount over and above a borrowed principal sum of money to be repayed back to the borrower.

What you are doing is not haram. The sellers want to sell their petrol at N87 per litre, and N200 extra. It is their property, and they can sell it for any amount they like; so I am not even sure you can call it a bribe. And since you are neither borrowing money from them, nor deferring payment till a later date, there is no question of interest (riba) in the transaction.

Allah of course, knows best.
masha Allah jazakhalahu khairan

(1) (Reply)

Boss of the house / Help A Muslimah In Pains / Nahcon Airlifts 58% Of Intending Pilgrims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.