Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,910 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? (3474 Views)

Which Good Cars Can I Buy Between 800k And 1M / Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / Which Nice Car Can I Get @ #4 Millions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 13, 2015
Please, what nice Nigerian-used car can I buy for about 800k? I have actually so much loved Toyota Camry big-for-nothing 2003 model before now, but recently I started reading about a major engine fault, and frankly I'm getting really scared about the car. I once considered Honda EOD, but was advised againt Honda products.
I really need guys who have a broad experience in cars to advise me, as I basically have none.
I will truly appreciate any kind advice offered to me.
Thanks in anticipation of your generous responses.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 13, 2015
Have you ever asked yourself why Nigerians call that camry big for nothing With that money you can buy a clean toks tiny light (camry1999)
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 13, 2015
edozie04:
Have you ever asked yourself why Nigerians call that camry big for nothing With that money you can buy a clean toks tiny light (camry1999)

Tiny light is just too common. Moreover, I just fancied the car. Maybe it's because I prefer big looking cars.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by AutosBay(m): 6:53am On Mar 14, 2015
Would suggest you buy a Toyota Camry 1999 Model, I have one but it's registered very neat and it's going for ₦ 650,000 (negotiable)
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by nurey(m): 7:28am On Mar 14, 2015
edozie04:

The camry big 4 nothing came about because of its size, it looks and has the size of a luxury sedan but get inside and you see no iota of luxury in it reason for the name.

@op the engine fault "is just a my brothers friend cousins uncles second brother said" people saying or telling this story don't have a first hand experience.

The Accord(EOD) is good but I will advice against it because it needs special attention than the camry also a 1998 tiny light tokunbo goes for 900 to 950k u can't get tokunbo for 800k.

When buying the camry watch out for check engine light, I have seen more toyota owners driving with that issue than honda owners.

My verdict on the camry is the front seems a bit lower than the back so be careful going over bumps, the front bumper is made of cheap plastic any slight touch or contact with surface, it will crack or worse may crumble.

The car is roomy and will seat 4 at the back without the back hugging the ground, the interior is ok but the roofing and frame paddings a cheap shit and they start to come off.

I hope you know its a robber magnet so u need a good form of security.

2 Likes

Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 14, 2015
nurey:

The camry big 4 nothing came about because of its size, it looks and has the size of a luxury sedan but get inside and you see no iota of luxury in it reason for the name.

@op the engine fault "is just a my brothers friend cousins uncles second brother said" people saying or telling this story don't have a first hand experience.

The Accord(EOD) is good but I will advice against it because it needs special attention than the camry also a 1998 tiny light tokunbo goes for 900 to 950k u can't get tokunbo for 800k.

When buying the camry watch out for check engine light, I have seen more toyota owners driving with that issue than honda owners.

My verdict on the camry is the front seems a bit lower than the back so be careful going over bumps, the front bumper is made of cheap plastic any slight touch or contact with surface, it will crack or worse may crumble.

The car is roomy and will seat 4 at the back without the back hugging the ground, the interior is ok but the roofing and frame paddings a cheap shit and they start to come off.

I hope you know its a robber magnet so u need a good form of security.

Thanks for the info.
Please do you know much about Avalon 2003 or 2004 model? Is it a reliable car? If I increase my budget to say 1.1m, can it fetch me the car?

Siena and Ikenna 351, please I need your input. I know that you guys know much about cars. Help a brother here.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by iCool(m): 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
@Poster. I drive an 02/03 Camry Big for nothing, 6 cylinder version. The problem you have read about is found in the inline 4 cylinder version (stripped head bolts). Na wetin I read for here.

The most expensive parts to replace are the engine and transmission but if you stick to the manufacturers recommendations for engine oil and transmission fluid, you should have no problem.

I drive my Car with care, no 'check engine lights' on, and also be wary of Kazeems tongue (Naija mechanics you would fare better than if you are ready to read and learn).

I have no regrets buying it and By my standards, It is a nice car. Serves it's purpose. smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by 9icetoo(m): 7:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
The 02-06 camry (big for nothing) is a reliable car. One of the most reliable on the road. The stripped head bolt issue affected only a small batch of engines fitted to some 03 models.
If u r in ph, mail me. Mine is up for sale. It's an 02 model.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by iCool(m): 7:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
I have 3 very close friends that own the Honda EOD and another 1 that owns a Camry 03, they do not know what grade of engine oil or what type of transmission fluid runs in their engines. angry

That is a recipy for Car destruction. One Honda and the Camry owner both lost their engines last year. sad

All I am saying is that, a car is as good as it's owner. Whether na Toyota abi na Honda, treat your mob well and it would treat you well in return. Maintenance is key. smiley Kill your fears, get yourself a mob and remember to set aside cash for routine maintenance. wink
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 14, 2015
iCool:
@Poster. I drive an 02/03 Camry Big for nothing, 6 cylinder version. The problem you have read about is found in the inline 4 cylinder version (stripped head bolts). Na wetin I read for here.
The most expensive parts to replace are the engine and transmission but if you stick to the manufacturers recommendations for engine oil and transmission fluid, you should have no problem.
I drive my Car with care, no 'check engine lights' on, and also be wary of Kazeems tongue (Naija mechanics you would fare better than if you are ready to read and learn).
I have no regrets buying it and By my standards, It is a nice carr. Serves it's purpose. smiley

9icetoo:
The 02-06 camry (big for nothing) is a reliable car. One of the most reliable on the road. The stripped head bolt issue affected only a small batch of engines fitted to some 03 models.
If u r in ph, mail me. Mine is up for sale. It's an 02 model.

iCool:
I have 3 very close friends that own the Honda EOD and another 1 that owns a Camry 03, they do not know what grade of engine oil or what type of transmission fluid runs in their engines. angry
That is a recipy for Car destruction. One Honda and the Camry owner both lost their engines last year. sad
All I am saying is that, a car is as good as it's owner. Whether na Toyota abi na Honda, treat your mob well and it would treat you well in return. Maintenance is key. smiley Kill your fears, get yourself a mob and remember to set aside cash for routine maintenance. wink

Thanks guys. I appreciate your inputs.
I've strongly started considering Avalon, though it's fuel economy is a bit poor. I think it's a strong and reliable car. I've not discarded the option of the big-for-nothing, though.
9icetoo, I'm in Abuja. Thanks for the offer though.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by nurey(m): 8:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Thanks for the info.
Please do you know much about Avalon 2003 or 2004 model? Is it a reliable car? If I increase my budget to say 1.1m, can it fetch me the car?

Siena and Ikenna 351, please I need your input. I know that you guys know much about cars. Help a brother here.

The Avalon you talking about was produced from 1999 to 2004 with 2003 and 2004 having a facelift and minor changes, what I cherish most is the over stretched dash of the avalon with its digital speedo counter, very roomy and spacious.

It has two trims the basic XL and the upscale XLS but I am yet to see one with Nav though it exists.

The car has the same engine as the facelifted toyota sienna a 3.0L V6 with 210hp and the mpg should be 19mpg city and 24mpg highway combine of 21mpg and that engine is a very solid one if taken care of but if you looking for fuel economy, I would advice you to get a 4cylinder camry big 4 nothing, I know how 2000 naira fuel with Ac used to be sufficient as a hustler then in school.

Not withstanding you will use roughly 5k fuel weekly with 1hour of traffic without AC with a distance of 280km to 300km within city/ week (just a rough estimate).

1 Like

Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
nurey:

The Avalon you talking about was produced from 1999 to 2004 with 2003 and 2004 having a facelift and minor changes, what I cherish most is the over stretched dash of the avalon with its digital speedo counter, very roomy and spacious.

It has two trims the basic XL and the upscale XLS but I am yet to see one with Nav though it exists.

The car has the same engine as the facelifted toyota sienna a 3.0L V6 with 210hp and the mpg should be 19mpg city and 24mpg highway combine of 21mpg and that engine is a very solid one if taken care of but if you looking for fuel economy, I would advice you to get a 4cylinder camry big 4 nothing, I know how 2000 naira fuel with Ac used to be sufficient as a hustler then in school.

Not withstanding you will use roughly 5k fuel weekly with 1hour of traffic without AC with a distance of 280km to 300km within city/ week (just a rough estimate).

Thanks .
I just did Google search for the gas mileage and was getting 21/29mpg for 2002 avalon, and 24/33mpg for 2002 camry. If that is the case, then the difference is not much. Corolla is much more fuel-efficient than both, anyway.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by nurey(m): 11:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Thanks .
I just did Google search for the gas mileage and was getting 21/29mpg for 2002 avalon, and 24/33mpg for 2002 camry. If that is the case, then the difference is not much. Corolla is much more fuel-efficient than both, anyway.

The avalon is heavier and has a base engine of V6 3.0L, the camry has a 2.4L I4 and a 3.0L V6 as for the corolla, it has a 1.6L i4 and a 1.8L i4 camry and corolla aren't as heavy as avalon also engine wise, what you lose in fuel economy you gain in performance, the avalon will easily beat any of this cars.

Like I said, if you want class, refinement and a little extra luxury in what you drive, the avalon is ok 21/29mpg isn't bad at all. But If u still need class and a minor luxury, get yourself camry big daddy XLE trim I4 2.4L or you can join the GERMAN LEAGUE

1 Like

Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by drlizzy(f): 6:01am On Mar 15, 2015
nurey:

The avalon is heavier and has a base engine of V6 3.0L, the camry has a 2.4L I4 and a 3.0L V6 as for the corolla, it has a 1.6L i4 and a 1.8L i4 camry and corolla aren't as heavy as avalon also engine wise, what you lose in fuel economy you gain in performance, the avalon will easily beat any of this cars.

Like I said, if you want class, refinement and a little extra luxury in what you drive, the avalon is ok 21/29mpg isn't bad at all. But If u still need class and a minor luxury, get yourself camry big daddy XLE trim I4 2.4L or you can join the GERMAN LEAGUE
with regards to the above, what is ur take on a toyota 4runner and nissan pathfinder? are there any serious issues I shud look out 4 ? hows its fuel efficiency? secondly hows fuel efficiency btw v4 v6 and v8 cars?
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by nurey(m): 7:14am On Mar 15, 2015
drlizzy:

with regards to the above, what is ur take on a toyota 4runner and nissan pathfinder? are there any serious issues I shud look out 4 ? hows its fuel efficiency? secondly hows fuel efficiency btw v4 v6 and v8 cars?

Let me answer your second question first between the I4 (not V4), V6 and V8. The higher the number, the more powerful the engine is so if a camry is fitted with i4, V6 and V8 engine, the I4 will be slower but will have the best fuel economy in driving in the city while the V8 will be very fast and not have a good fuel economy as the I4 and V6.

Also fuel economy is not only determined by cylinders ie (4, 6, 8 cylinders) weight comes in, litre or volume of the engine, design, year of manufacture etc.

You didn't mention the year you are comparing between the 4runner and pathfinder but I will use the common year model
4runner 1997 to 2003
Pathfinder 1995 to 2004 the pathfinder has a luxury version tagged INFINITI Qx4 they look alike in everything but differ in badge and a few luxury add ons.

Both cars a very good in their class and rugged but if I am to choose between the 2 I did go for a 2003 or 2004 pathfinder (platinum/special edition) or the infiniti variant its got more horse power, more refined design more appealing to me than the 4runner but a little bit pricy than the 4runner.
Re: What Nice Car Can I Buy For 800k? by 9icetoo(m): 9:31am On Mar 15, 2015
Forget the quoted mpg by manufacturers. In real world driving, a lot of factors affect that stuff. A colleagues 2006 pilot was getting 12 mpg combined, a friends lexis es 300 was getting 11.8 mpg combined, while I was barely getting 17mpg in my camry. These were all below manufacturers stated mpg and these cars had different engine sizes. Short trips with a lot of stop and go and idling time will wreak havoc on any cars mpg.
If you do mostly city driving and are conscious of how much you spend on fuel, get a 4 cylinder, if you travel quite a bit and have a need for speed, get a v6, if you have a deep pocket and travel quite a bit, get a v8.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Abandoned Bentley Gt(one Man's Trash, Another's Treasure) / Please I Need Help!!! My Honda CRV 2004 Cannot Rev Above 3000rpm. / Toyota Prius Hybrid 2006

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.