Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,049 members, 7,821,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Why Unbiased Nigerians Wouldforever Miss And Appreciateawo By Dr. Wumi Akintide - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Unbiased Nigerians Wouldforever Miss And Appreciateawo By Dr. Wumi Akintide (599 Views)

Download - Uptimist "Utotor" (mixed By Dr.ritzy) / Download-benzola "What Ever" Remix Feat Upper X & Osanga Prod By Dr.ritzy / Chibok Girls And Unanswered Questions--By Dr Deborah Nelson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Unbiased Nigerians Wouldforever Miss And Appreciateawo By Dr. Wumi Akintide by joshua8016: 8:24am On Mar 15, 2015
Every country has its good and bad
eggs. That is the point I am making.
But there are a few individuals that
would forever make a lasting
impression. My hypothesis is that
Obafemi Awolowo is one such leader in
Nigeria.

In a country of 160 million people, you are
bound to find all kinds of characters including
heroes and heroines, villains and charlatans, wise men and geniuses as well as criminals, lunatics and mediocre, brave men and cowards.

In the same country, you are bound to find
historical figures like Uthman Dan Fodio, Emotan of Benin, Moremi of Ife, Ogedengbe
Agbogungboro of Ilesha, War hero Fabunmi of
Ekiti and a few political leaders of consequence like Nnamdi Azikiwe, Sardauna Bello and Obafemi Awolowo, and elder statesmen like Sir Kashim Ibrahim, the former Governor of the Northern Region, Sir Francis Ibiam, the former Governor of Eastern region, Ooni Risa Kabiyesi Atobatele Adesoji Aderemi, the former Governor of Western Region and J. S Marriere, the former Governor of the Midwestern Region.

These are just a few of the men and women of
timber and caliber many of us grew up to know or read about in Nigeria. All of them are all great leaders who can be counted on to offer their successors in power some words of wisdom in times of national crisis.

Nigeria is definitely not in short supply of such
leaders as I will show in this write-up. But we also have a few criminals and gangsters, armed robbers like Aneneh from Bendel State or Oyenusi from Ondo State who held the whole nation to ransom, so to speak, at one point in our history as I recall.

The only execution I ever witnessed in my life
was that of Oyenusi along with 6 of his partners in crime who were all tied to the stake and executed at the Bar Beach in Lagos. I went to that execution out of curiosity.

I have been told that Oyenusi has cheated death so many times and would probably do it again as he faced the firing squad because he had boasted that he could never die from a gunshot. There was a part of me that believed all the thrash being peddled around about Oyenusi in particular.

All of his fellow armed robbers died within a split second of the first shot hitting them. But Oyenusi did not die until the second shot hit him. I saw him move his head at the first shot with a dry smile on his face. He dropped his head at the second shot with blood oozing out of his chest.

The whole spectacle lasted less than a minute.
Never again would I ever witness such a
dehumanizing spectacle. Every country has its
good and bad eggs. That is the point I am
making. But there are a few individuals that
would forever make a lasting impression. My
hypothesis is that Obafemi Awolowo is one such leader in Nigeria.

I am sure some of my Igbo country men are
already fuming at the mention of Awolowo’s
name because they just don’t like the man
despite all the good things said about him by one of their heroes, Ikemba Odumegwu Ojukwu, the Oxford-trained historian who was gracious and truthful enough to describe Awo as “the best President Nigeria never had” and who in a detailed interview with Rudolf Okonkwo of Sahara Reporters of New York has revealed his own version of what transpired in the war and why he did not write his own memoir.

Those who were disappointed that the Ikemba
never got around to writing a book on the war
should just go and read a copy of that interview at the Sahara Reporters website. If they do, they would appreciate like I do that the Ikemba had the greatest respect for Awolowo and would be the last person to condemn or castigate the great leader. It was clear from many of his answers to Okonkwo that he did not subscribe to some of the nonsense being peddled around by some Igbo revisionists, not all of them I must say, who just hate Awolowo and the Yorubas.

The man, more or less, single-handedly won the war for Nigeria using his brain power and the stroke of his pen. He was helped in the effort by the boots on the ground led by Nigerian war heroes like the black scorpion Benjamin Adekunle, Olusegun Obasanjo and a few of their colleagues like Murtala Mohammed, Theophillus Danjuma to mention a few.

I look at the Jonathan Government today and I remember the good old days of Yakubu Gowon
as head of State and individuals like Okoi Arikpo as Foreign Affairs commissioner, Shehu Shagari as Commissioner for Internal Affairs, Wenike Briggs as Education commissioner, Shetima Ali Monguno as trade commissioner and Obafemi Awolowo as Commissioner for finance and Deputy Chairman of the Federal Executive Council.

You don’t have today in the Jonathan’s
Government the same caliber of top officers and elder statesmen who can walk straight to the President’s office at Aso Rock to tell him not just what they thought he wanted to hear but what the President needed to hear loud and clear as any of those individuals would have done without pulling punches but doing so in a way that forces the President to have a very sober reflection on some of the nation’s problems.

Awolowo told General Gowon it made no sense
for Nigeria to continue to waste money on
creating diplomatic missions when the stability of the nation was in total jeopardy. He personally went ahead to advise his colleague, Okoi Arikpo to put the plan on hold and to even consider reducing Nigerian missions abroad while the Biafra war was still on.

Nigerians would for a long time treasure the
memory of Obafemi Awolowo for having the
courage of his conviction to tell Yakubu Gowon, it was time to change the Nigerian Currency because if that was not done, Ojukwu and his Biafran Generals who had broken into the Enugu Branch of the Nigerian Central Bank by force, would have continued to use Nigerian money to buy weapons to prolong the Biafra war indefinitely.

By that single stroke, Awolowo forced Biafra to go print her own currency which had no gold
reserve to back it up and no other nation was
ready to accept it as legal tender to purchase
more arms and weapons.

It was a strategic move on the part of Awolowo
who wanted the war to end quickly so Nigeria
could end the carnage and the heavy loss of lives on both sides of the great divide. It was the right thing to do at the time and Awolowo crafted the policy and he executed it with clocklike precision never before seen in Nigeria much to the dislike of Biafrans.

Obafemi Awolowo scored another home run in
the Biafra war when he advised Yakubu Gowon to stop supplying food to Biafra soldiers, if
Odumegwu would not change his policy to let
the International Red Cross be the one
distributing the food to where they need to go in Biafra.

Ojukwu had bluntly refused to let the Red Cross or the Federal Side be the one distributing the food to starving Biafrans and children many of whom were already suffering from Kwashiorkor because the food supplies were being commandeered by Biafran soldiers and Generals and top military officers in Biafra who refuse to let the food supplies reach the poor Biafra civilians.

Ojukwu was relying on clemency of the Federal Government and he still wanted to dictate the terms of the help he was getting. Awolowo merely told Yakubu Gowon Ojukwu could not do that with him (Awolowo) as part of the Gowon Government. Awolowo actually told Gowon when he agreed to serve under him that he did not like the idea of working for an unelected Government and that hewould resign as soon as the war ended. That was precisely what Awolowo did...

Another big sin of Awolowo that the Igbos
wanted him crucified for was Awolowo’s plan to stop Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe from becoming the first Premier of Western Region in 1954.I give kudos to Awolowo and the few members of the Mabolaje Grand Alliance of Ibadan, an affiliate of the NCNC which crossed carpet to give Awolowo and his Action Group the chance to push the NCNC into the opposition in the Western House of Assembly at Ibadan.

If Azikiwe had been allowed to rule the Western Region in 1954, I know many of my Igbo friends would have claimed today that the West was once a colony of the Igbos and they would have been right to say that.

The Yorubas are forever indebted to Awolowo and the Akinloyes of this world for their clear vision by not allowing the Igbos to treat the Yorubas as their slaves forever.

I don’t care what names the igbos call Awolowo today, the bitter truth they don’t want to hear is that Awolowo did the right thing in every position he took on Nigeria. If the Igbos call him a tribalist for that reason, they are free to do that, but so was Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe who quickly ran back to
the Eastern Region to stop Chief Eyo Ita from
becoming the first Premier of Eastern Region.

To all of Oodua children, Awolowo was a leader in a million and the “best President Nigeria never had” We sure concurred with Ikemba Ojukwu because he spoke the truth and nothing but the truth and God bless him for saying so for the whole world to hear.

I know this is going to be one of the most
controversial articles I have ever written on
Obafemi Awolowo. Some of my Igbo brothers and sisters are going to be throwing everything at me for speaking the truth. It is unfortunate that they are going to do that, but I think it is better to speak the truth than to glorify falsehood.

I feel compelled to do it for the sake of history
and for the benefit of generations yet unborn. I am not going to let some revisionists get away with turning history on its head just because it satisfies their narrow interest and ego.

If Obafemi Awolowo were still alive today, his take on the security situation of Nigeria would have been totally different from those of many of our elder statesmen of today like Olusegun Obasanjo, Edwin Kiagbodo Clark, Yakubu Gowon and former Heads of State including our first class traditional rulers all over Nigeria.

Awolowo would have called a spade a spade by asking Jonathan to tell Nigerians who are the faceless sponsors of Boko Haram in his
Government.

Awolowo would have figured a way out of the
quagmire and the retrogression Nigeria currently faces with Jonathan as President. Awolowo accurately predicted during the Shagari era that the Nigerian economy was in serious trouble and that the Nigerian ship of state was adrift and ultimately headed for troubled waters. His enemies called him the prophet of doom, but every prediction the man has made has come to pass.

That is why unbiased Nigerians would forever
eulogize and treasure Awolowo like I do. Let
those who have ears hear, and let those who
have eyes clearly read the hand writing on the
wall. Awolowo has been proved right by history and his soul will forever rest in peace.

Need I say more?

I rest my case.

Sourcehttp://saharareporters.com/2014/10/03/why-unbiased-nigerians-would-forever-miss-and-appreciate-awo-dr-wumi-akintide

(1) (Reply)

YOU Must Take Care Of Me ;suswam Tells Gov-elect / Xenophobic Attack : President-elect Buhari Backs FG's Steps / Do You Guys Remember This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.