Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,695 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

How To Catch A Stray Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Catch A Stray Dog (1618 Views)

Stray Lhasa Dog Found In Ibadan / Stray Dogs Attend Funeral Of Woman Who Use To Feed Them. / How To Catch A Loose Dog, Asides From Chasing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Catch A Stray Dog by Prodeegee(m): 1:56pm On Mar 16, 2015
A few times you leave the gate open and your dog finds this an opportunity to make a run. Except you're as fast or faster than the dog, running after it is quite useless.

Depending on the dog, some dogs can run at length and not get tired while others would get tired easily and surrender.

It is very important NOT to punish a stray dog. You need to let your dog know that coming to you is more fun than making a run.

Follow this few steps to recall your pet on the run:-

First, training your dog to come on command is very important and would be a life saver in cases like this. If you dont have the time to train your dog, get a dog trainer.

Never shout at your dog: this would only make him think coming back to you is trouble. as earlier said, he needs to know that coming to you is safer than making a run.

Talk to your dog: In a soft tone, call your dog's name. if he stops and stares at you, squat slowly. use words like "good dog" "come baby".

Take the right tools: If you find what your dog likes best,eg. a toy, some treats. Take them along with you. This increases the chances of him coming back to you.

Praise him when he comes to you: This is very important. give him a lot of praises. give him some treat once you get back home.

Source: http://www..com/2015/03/how-to-catch-stray-dog.html

2 Likes

Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Seun(m): 5:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
My dog Sloan once escaped from my compound. This was after I started walking him. People started running from him and falling. Naturally, he loved the game and started chasing them. I ran after him and also fell in a mud puddle and broke my leg a bit. When I got up, he had stopped chasing people. I called him to me but he just stared at me. So I limped towards him, grabbed his collar, and dragged him home. Then an area boy kind of guy brought out a shovel and started following us, threatening to kill the dog. Sloan has never left my compound since that day.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Prodeegee(m): 6:46pm On Mar 16, 2015
Seun:
My dog Sloan once escaped from my compound. This was after I started walking him. People started running from him and falling. Naturally, he loved the game and started chasing them. I ran after him and also fell in a mud puddle and broke my leg a bit. When I got up, he had stopped chasing people. I called him to me but he just stared at me. So I limped towards him, grabbed his collar, and dragged him home. Then an area boy kind of guy brought out a shovel and started following us, threatening to kill the dog. Sloan has never left my compound since that day.

ehya..sorry for the fall smiley dogs and chase...
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by smileysmiles(f): 8:58pm On Mar 16, 2015
Lol. Bradford runs out every opportunity he gets... when u chase him he runs, when u stop, he stops. Used to be very very annoying because passers by can be very weird about dogs.

Then one day he ran into a neighbors house, he dint know the neighbor had 3 crazy ass local dogs! I will never forget the speed he used to rush out of that compound with the 3 of them hot on his heels. He got home before me. Lol

4 Likes

Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Prodeegee(m): 9:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
smileysmiles:
Lol. Bradford runs out every opportunity he gets... when u chase him he runs, when u stop, he stops. Used to be very very annoying because passers by can be very weird about dogs.

Then one day he ran into a neighbors house, he dint know the neighbor had 3 crazy ass local dogs! I will never forget the speed he used to rush out of that compound with the 3 of them hot on his heels. He got home before me. Lol

Lol....brad my friend
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Ajanii(m): 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2015
Training a dog not to step out of the gate without a leash saves the stress of exhibiting that "prodigal son" behaviour. This type of training is not even time consuming so claiming you don't have time is not an excuse because when it comes to training dogs, repetition means emphasis. Your dog shouldn't exit the door or gate before you, you have to be the first to step out and he'll follow. The maid left the gate opened for about two hours this morning but my dogs already know anywhere outside the gate is not their territory except they're on a leash going out for the usual walk. Devoting at least 5 minutes a day to let your dog know you're the Leader will save you the stress of any form of embarrassment. Sorry for the Long story... My 2 cents! Nice one Prodeegee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by smileysmiles(f): 11:02pm On Mar 16, 2015
Prodeegee:

Lol....brad my friend

Lol.

Have you noticed dat the same set of people who complain abt the pet section "turning into a dog market" or "being boring" are the ones who do not contribute to posts? Then they will say there's no pet section thread on fp.

Arcbay yo! Whr you at sweerie?
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by deeptesting(m): 11:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ajanii:
Training a dog not to step out of the gate without a leash saves the stress of exhibiting that "prodigal son" behaviour. This type of training is not even time consuming so claiming you don't have time is not an excuse because when it comes to training dogs, repetition means emphasis. Your dog shouldn't exit the door or gate before you, you have to be the first to step out and he'll follow. The maid left the gate opened for about two hours this morning but my dogs already know anywhere outside the gate is not their territory except they're on a leash going out for the usual walk. Devoting at least 5 minutes a day to let your dog know you're the Leader will save you the stress of any form of embarrassment. Sorry for the Long story... My 2 cents! Nice one Prodeegee

You are very correct especially with the bold... I have done it with all the dogs i trained and it worked perfectly well for me.
My little Cooper is also learning it right now besides once the gate is opened they know it is not their territory so they don`t attempt to run out.
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Prodeegee(m): 8:06am On Mar 17, 2015
smileysmiles:

Lol.

Have you noticed dat the same set of people who complain abt the pet section "turning into a dog market" or "being boring" are the ones who do not contribute to posts? Then they will say there's no pet section thread on fp.

Arcbay yo! Whr you at sweerie?

Exactly. You're right.

Seun, is this post fp worthy?
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by mayorall(m): 10:11am On Mar 17, 2015
But a dog trained from puppy won't run away as an adult. This might be applicable to only dogs bought as an adult.
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Ajanii(m): 11:59am On Mar 17, 2015
You can teach an old Dog new tricks!
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Lanretoye(m): 3:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
Somebody should please give me a dog now,i really wish to have one...i will take good care if it.
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by ireneony(f): 6:18am On Mar 19, 2015
Seun:
you mean you fell inside a mudgrin
so you can do anything for your doggrin..
wel have your dog pics on my phone, i collected them from intagram

2 Likes

Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 19, 2015
ireneony:

Instagram.
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by Prodeegee(m): 7:58am On Mar 19, 2015
Headlamp1:

Instagram.

Thank you for correcting that tabontabon!
Re: How To Catch A Stray Dog by arcbay(m): 9:29am On Mar 19, 2015
ireneony:

You mean his "police dog"

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Large Wire Cage For Sale / Top 10 Strongest Dog Breeds In The World / Large Python A Nairalander Killed In His Place.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.