Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. (1319 Views)

From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony / Why Kjv Is The Real Bible And Niv, Esv, Nlt And Rest Are Corrupted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by ayusadeg(m): 11:55am On Mar 19, 2015
Bible scholars having gone through several versions of the Bible, it seems 'Joshua' was recorded in the manuscript of Hebrew 4:8, as only King James Version recorded 'Jesus' instead, please what could have happened to the translation or could it be a suitable replacement?
Can anyone explain that?
Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by Hawlahscho(m): 12:40pm On Mar 19, 2015
[size=30pt]Is true o shocked shocked shocked[/size]

Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by johnydon22(m): 12:51pm On Mar 19, 2015
so much infallibility smiley

Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by Sanchez01: 3:51pm On Mar 19, 2015
ayusadeg, Johnydon22 and Hawlascho, understand something here;

KJV mentions 'Jesus' and my version, the KJVer mentions 'Jesus' as well. I checked up and NIV version and saw 'Joshua'... The explanation is pretty simple, For if Jesus - Margin, "That is, Joshua." The Syriac renders it, "Joshua the son of Nun." "Jesus" is the Greek mode of writing "Joshua," and there can be no doubt that Joshua is here intended. The object is to prove that Joshua did" not" give the people of God such a rest as to make it improper to speak of a "rest" after that time. "If Joshua had given them a complete and final rest; if by his conducting them to the promised land all had been done which had been contemplated by the promise, then it would not have been alluded to again, as it was in the time of David." Joshua "did" give them a rest in the promised land; but it was not all which was intended, and it did not exclude the promise of another and more important rest.

Then would he not - Then "God" would not have spoken of another time when that rest could be obtained. The "other day" here referred to is that which is mentioned before by the phrase "today," and refers to the time in which it is spoken of long after Joshua, to wit, in the time of David.

To understand this better, read Heb 4 from verse 1.

To back this up, check for the meaning of 'Joshua'.

Here, From the Hebrew name (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation". It also means "more than that"

I got the excerpt below from an Hebrew Bible

Etymology of the name Joshua

The name Joshua is a compilation of two elements, the first one being the appellative יה (Yah) = יהו (Yahu) = יו (Yu), which in turn are abbreviated forms of the Tetragrammaton; the name of the Lord: YHWH.

The second element of the name Joshua/Jesus comes from the root-verb ישע (yasha'), meaning to save or deliver:

שוע ישע

The two roots ישע (yasha') and שוע (shawa') are closely related in meaning and probably also linguistically. Their forms are so alike that especially in names the two can often not be told apart:
ישע

The root-verb ישע (yasha'), probably originally meant something like to be wide or spacious (in Arabic it still does), and its counterpart is the verb צרר (sarar), meaning to be narrow, to bind or to be in distress. Our verb ישע (yasha') means exactly the opposite: to be wide, to be loose or delivered, and to be saved.

This root and its derivatives occur 353 times in the Old Testament. HAW Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament notes that deliverance indicates a movement from distress to safety, and generally must come from some somewhere outside the party oppressed. The one who brings this deliverance is known as the "savior," and this may be a human agent delivering from any kind of earthly oppression, to God and man's deliverance from evil. However, any human savior is regarded as empowered by YHWH, and so, all deliverance comes from YHWH; the God of our salvation and deliverance (Psalm 68:19-20).

The derivatives of this verb are:

The feminine noun ישועה (yeshua) meaning salvation (Genesis 49:18, 2 Samuel 10:11).

The masculine noun ישע (yesha') meaning salvation too. This word can also be used to mean financial salvation; prosperity or welfare (2 Samuel 23:5, Psalm 12:5).

Following the previous type of meaning, the adjective שוע (shoa'), meaning independent indicates a 'free man,' a (financially) independent person (Isaiah 32:5).

The feminine noun תשועה (teshua), meaning salvation or deliverance (1 Samuel 11:9, Psalm 51:16).
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Joshua.html#.VQrgt9LF_l8

In all, 'Joshua' is the old Testament form of 'Jesus'. This implies that the names mean the same, this was specifically why "Christ" was added to one, to distinguish both characters. Hope I helped smiley.

Shalom

NB: The 'Jesus'/'Joshua' being referred to in Heb 4:8 is the Son of Nun who was Moses' minister (servant).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by Goshen360(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
^^^
I was just going to type it short and say the same thing. Many people think there are contradictions in the bible but they fail to do contextual word study. Joshua in the Hebrew is same word with Jesus. ...Yeshua. Plus, Joshua is a type of Christ and both translation having Joshua or Jesus is right depending how one is looking at it, either as a type or as substance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by sinkhole: 4:15pm On Mar 19, 2015
In the light of the very long and complicated explanations, can I ask if the Bible was writen for ordinary person or an academician?
All a man on the street knows is that there is Joshua and there is Jesus, so why trying to confuse the ordinary man by mixing Joshua and Jesus?
Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by Sanchez01: 4:27pm On Mar 19, 2015
sinkhole:
In the light of the very long and complicated explanations, can I ask if the Bible was writen for ordinary person or an academician?
All a man on the street knows is that there is Joshua and there is Jesus, so why trying to confuse the ordinary man by mixing Joshua and Jesus?
Nothing is complicated, understand the meaning of the name 'Joshua' and that settles it.

1 Like

Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by ayusadeg(m): 5:43pm On Mar 19, 2015
Sanchez01:
ayusadeg, Johnydon22 and Hawlascho, understand something here;

KJV mentions 'Jesus' and my version, the KJVer mentions 'Jesus' as well. I checked up and NIV version and saw 'Joshua'... The explanation is pretty simple, For if Jesus - Margin, "That is, Joshua." The Syriac renders it, "Joshua the son of Nun." "Jesus" is the Greek mode of writing "Joshua," and there can be no doubt that Joshua is here intended. The object is to prove that Joshua did" not" give the people of God such a rest as to make it improper to speak of a "rest" after that time. "If Joshua had given them a complete and final rest; if by his conducting them to the promised land all had been done which had been contemplated by the promise, then it would not have been alluded to again, as it was in the time of David." Joshua "did" give them a rest in the promised land; but it was not all which was intended, and it did not exclude the promise of another and more important rest.

Then would he not - Then "God" would not have spoken of another time when that rest could be obtained. The "other day" here referred to is that which is mentioned before by the phrase "today," and refers to the time in which it is spoken of long after Joshua, to wit, in the time of David.

To understand this better, read Heb 4 from verse 1.

To back this up, check for the meaning of 'Joshua'.

Here, From the Hebrew name (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation". It also means "more than that"

I got the excerpt below from an Hebrew Bible

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Joshua.html#.VQrgt9LF_l8

In all, 'Joshua' is the old Testament form of 'Jesus'. This implies that the names mean the same, this was specifically why "Christ" was added to one, to distinguish both characters. Hope I helped smiley.

Shalom

NB: The 'Jesus'/'Joshua' being referred to in Heb 4:8 is the Son of Nun who was Moses' minister (servant).
Thanks so much you have done justice to it, I also thought of this answer, I have also learnt more on it online via google search, thanks alot!

1 Like

Re: In Hebrew 4:8, KJV Referred To Jesus While Other Versions Referred To Joshua. by Hiswordxray(m): 6:00pm On Mar 19, 2015
ayusadeg:
Bible scholars having gone through several versions of the Bible, it seems 'Joshua' was recorded in the manuscript of Hebrew 4:8, as only King James Version recorded 'Jesus' instead, please what could have happened to the translation or could it be a suitable replacement?
Can anyone explain that?
Jesus is the Greek word for Joshua.
The old testament was written in Hebrew and the Hebrew word is Joshua. While the new testament is written in Greek and the Greek word is Jesus. I think the English word is Messiah or anointed one.
But Hebrews 4:8 was referring to Joshua not Jesus.

Maybe the King James thought it was referring to Jesus that it translated it as Jesus.

(1) (Reply)

Is Redeemed Still A Church Or Is It Now Essentially A Business Concern? / Is It True That The Name Of Jesus Is No Longer Effective?? / Warning To The Entire Black Race- The Enemies Are Using Our Women Against Us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.