Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,541 members, 7,955,010 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:22 PM

THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson (624 Views)

How To Enjoy 2D/3D Movies On Your Samsung Gear VR? / Chris Evans Has Stepped Down As Host Of Top Gear / Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson Dropped From Top Gear -UK Guardian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson by talktimi(m): 5:22pm On Mar 19, 2015
Hit show Top Gear could "thrive" without its troubled co-host Jeremy Clarkson, according to The Stig.

Ben Collins played the show's mysterious helmeted character for eight years but fell out with the BBC after he decided to reveal his identity and publish an autobiography.

The broadcaster launched legal action, but failed to stop him.

Mr Collins told the Radio Times magazine that Mr Clarkson had not been supportive of him during his clash with the corporation and added that Top Gear could continue without him.

He said: "Top Gear has achieved huge status and Jeremy has certainly been part of that because he's got such a big personality... he's an unstoppable force.

"But fans of the programme love it for lots of different reasons. Jeremy is certainly one of them, but not the only one."

British racing driver Ben Collins, The Stig
Racing driver Ben Collins - also known as The Stig

Mr Collins was The Stig until 2011 and said that it had become more difficult for the show "to reinvent itself" as it was "possibly starting to strain under the weight of its own success".

He added: "Things will evolve one way or the other. I don't think it can only be anchored in one person.

Play video "Clarkson 'Off To The Job Centre'"

Video: Clarkson 'Off To The Job Centre'

"The Bond franchise.... changes and moves forward. Top Gear will always continue.... it will carry on and continue to be successful because millions of people watch it."

"I was there for eight years but it came to a natural conclusion. I handed in my notice and had discussions with the BBC and they decided to go to court, which was a real shame and not what I wanted.

"Was Jeremy supportive? No, he wasn't. We haven't spoken since."

Play video "PM: 'He's A Great Talent'"

Video: PM: 'He's A Great Talent'

Perry McCarthy, who was The Stig from 2002 to 2003, said that Top Gear without Mr Clarkson would take "the fire out of it" and "won't work".

"I think you're going to have a diluted product. I don't think it will have the value that it did, here and overseas", he said.

"And God help any soul who takes his place, because that's like signing up for your own firing squad."

Play video "Is Clarkson Finished With The BBC?"

Video: Is Clarkson Finished With The BBC?

The words came as the BBC's internal investigation into Mr Clarkson's behaviour entered its second day.

He was suspended from Top Gear following a "fracas" with producer Oisin Tymon.

Mr Tymon did not file a formal complaint and it is understood Clarkson reported the incident himself.

Play video "Clarkson Suspended After 'Fracas'"

Video: Clarkson Suspended After 'Fracas'

On Tuesday it emerged that Clarkson is due to host the panel show Have I Got News For You.

The makers of the BBC2 programme said they have not heard from executives as to whether this will be a problem or not.

http://news.sky.com/story/1446543/the-stig-top-gear-doesnt-need-clarkson
Re: THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson by melvinjames: 5:32pm On Mar 19, 2015
Jeremy Clarkson is a racist thug no different from Millwall supporters. He should be cut to size, give his position to Richard "hamster" Hammond.
Re: THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson by talktimi(m): 5:38pm On Mar 19, 2015
melvinjames:
Jeremy Clarkson is a [b]racist thug[/b]no different from Millwall supporters. He should be cut to size, give his position to Richard "hamster" Hammond.
please explain
Re: THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson by Paulpaulpaul(m): 5:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
The past sentimental utterances of Jeremy Clarkson may be hunting him but I think there is something to the whole fraca if Tymon didn't file a formal complaints.

The personality of Jeremy is his credentials he can bank on it. I can't think of an interesting Top Gear without him.
Re: THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson by melvinjames: 5:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
talktimi:
please explain

Didn't you see the report of his use of the 'n' word?
Check his history of suspension at the BBC, racism was almost the last straw but the bbc forgave him to continue his sad existence of bullying everyone.

Make "hamster" the anchor, he never court bad publicity.
Re: THE STIG ; Top Gear Doesnt Need Clarkson by Bawss1(m): 6:40pm On Mar 19, 2015
^ Ha!

The way you say it like BBC is a parent choosing not to punish an errant child. With Jeremy Clarkson the BBC has been able to make as much as £75m a year from Top Gear. He is their golden goose so it's understandable that he was given a rather long leash.

(1) (Reply)

Download/watch Your Fav. Movies!!! / Big Brother Africa Has Lost Former A Housemate / Chris Evans Has Stepped Down As Host Of Top Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.