Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,717 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? (2396 Views)

Nigerian Man In US Cooks For His Wife And Children (Photos) / Maternity Photoshoot Of Pregnant Woman, With Her Husband And Children / How To Determine Your Safe And Unsafe Period Within A 28 Days Menstrual Cycle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by cococandy(f): 6:31am On Mar 21, 2015
Not necessarily.
Me I'm pro GEJ. He isn't. No figthing over that. If we could vote we would vote for different parties.

Anybody over 18 decides who to vote.
It is just like religion.

lolaxavier:
As the presidential election is fast approaching, we have seen comments such as "My family and I have decided who to vote for", "My household will vote for" and so on.

Do you think the husband should dictate who his wife and/or children should cast their votes for? Can this lead to disunity/fight in a home in a case where the wife decides not to agree with the husband?
I feel individuals should be entitled to decide who to choose as candidate.
Please share your opinion.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by jaybee3(m): 6:49am On Mar 21, 2015
SagePerv:
No. Voting is a personal choice.
That is why one can only vote at a legal age of 18.

If you are married and have kids then it ought to be combined choice.

The singular decision by a family in saner climes usually have ripple effects on important factors such as:
Finance
Child care
Family life

What the family ought to do is make a joint choice after reviewing each party's manifesto and deciding on the party with best policies that will meet their family needs

2 Likes

Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by EfemenaXY: 7:27am On Mar 21, 2015
lolaxavier:
As the presidential election is fast approaching, we have seen comments such as "My family and I have decided who to vote for", "My household will vote for" and so on.

Do you think the husband should dictate who his wife and/or children should cast their votes for? Can this lead to disunity/fight in a home in a case where the wife decides not to agree with the husband?
I feel individuals should be entitled to decide who to choose as candidate.
Please share your opinion.

Ininasmuch as I agree that voting is an individual choice based on one's personal convictions and ideologies, when a couple share common goals and future aspirations, then this should/would automatically translate in them having similar political preferences.

I speak in general terms but do conceed that there may be a couple of instances where differing opinions exist, resulting in exceptions to the aforementioned.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by lolaxavier(m): 8:33am On Mar 21, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Ininasmuch as I agree that voting is an individual choice based on one's personal convictions and ideologies, when a couple share common goals and future aspirations, then this should/would automatically translate in them having similar political preferences.

I speak in general terms but do conceed that there may be a couple of instances where differing opinions exist, resulting in exceptions to the aforementioned.

My question is what happens when the wife does not agree with the husband on the issue of who to vote for?
Does that count as insubordination? Will you throw her out because of that?
I wish MOD can just put this on the front page so that we can have many opinions on this.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by lolaxavier(m): 8:45am On Mar 21, 2015
Timbuktou:
How is persuasion suppression?

persuade - /pəˈsweɪd/
verb
1. induce (someone) to do something through reasoning or
argument.

suppress - /səˈprɛs/
verb
1. forcibly put an end to

There is no need to be dishonest just because you want to push your ideologies and beliefs on people. Arguing your point logically is a much better approach and you could learn a thing or two in the process.

I have written in simple English terms. Don't quote me out of of context. I am not forcing any ideology on anyone.Just expressing my opinion.

Tie my threads from start to where I mentioned persuasion and you will understand why I used the word.
In a nutshell, all I'm trying to express is that if you forcibly try to persuade your wife to vote because you are in favour of a particular candidate, then you are obviously being selfish.
I have already asked this question, what will happen if she does not agree to your pov on this matter? Are you going to fight or chase her out because of this? Isn't she entitled to make a choice in this manner.
A family putting up a common front is a good idea but sincerely, I dont think that applies in this instance.
We can all see how some people are dissatisfied with the current administration but just because you have your soft spot for Gej or you feel he has achieved, will you now make your wife vote him when she feels her gej has not contributed anything to the welfare of her parent or sibling. That is a very selfish and self centered thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by bukatyne(f): 8:47am On Mar 21, 2015
Everyone has the right to vote who they deem fit.

I know Some homes where wifey is pro Buhari and hubby pro Jona and vice versa.

If they are pro same thing, all well and Good.

The husband doesn't have the right to force his wife or child to vote his candidate either.

And If he had the right due to the home they run, he doesn't have the power to exercise that right.

Sorry guys grin

Besides OP, the men you quoted might mean that they all share the same view and not that they will force their family to vote their candidate.

Moreso, If a husband /wife is into politricks or will gain immersely from a particular government, then all their generation will probably support the useful party.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by bukatyne(f): 8:53am On Mar 21, 2015
lolaxavier:

I have written in simple English terms. Don't quote me out of of context. I am not forcing any ideology on anyone.Just expressing my opinion.

Tie my threads from start to where I mentioned persuasion and you will understand why I used the word.
In a nutshell, all I'm trying to express is that if you forcibly try to persuade your wife to vote because you are in favour of a particular candidate, then you are obviously being selfish.
I have already asked this question, what will happen if she does not agree to your pov on this matter? Are you going to fight or chase her out because of this? Isn't she entitled to make a choice in this manner.
A family putting up a common front is a good idea but sincerely, I dont think that applies in this instance.
We can all see how some people are dissatisfied with the current administration but just because you have your soft spot for Gej or you feel he has achieved, will you now make your wife vote him when she feels her gej has not contributed anything to the welfare of her parent or sibling. That is a very selfish and self centered thing to do.

Only a foolish wife would let it get to This.

Unless you married a spirit, I don't see How your husband can know who you voted for.

If you know you are married to an unquestionable, keep your. points to yourself or wait till you are out of hearshot.

On election day, yes sir I will vote a,b,c and you vote who you like or do husbands now have access to see Who their wives voted?

You don't want to lie? Don't collect PVC.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by lolaxavier(m): 9:05am On Mar 21, 2015
bukatyne:

Only a foolish wife would let it get to This.

Unless you married a spirit, I don't see How your husband can know who you voted for.

If you know you are married to an unquestionable, keep your. points to yourself or wait till you are out of hearshot.

On election day, yes sir I will vote a,b,c and you vote who you like or do husbands now have access to see Who their wives voted?

You don't want to lie? Don't collect PVC.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

It depends on your relationship with your husband. There are husbands and wives that actively discuss politics at home, hence there's no way to hide one's political inclination.
Besides, why should you vote for mr A and lie to your husband that you voted mr B. Must it get that? Why can't the husband respect the political inclination of the wife. Simple!

1 Like

Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by bukatyne(f): 9:27am On Mar 21, 2015
lolaxavier:

It depends on your relationship with your husband. There are husbands and wives that actively discuss politics at home, hence there's no way to hide one's political inclination.
Besides, why should you vote for mr A and lie to your husband that you voted mr B. Must it get that? Why can't the husband respect the political inclination of the wife. Simple!

Must it get to that? No

Will all husbands respect the political inclinations of their wives? Maybe not.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by lolaxavier(m): 9:35am On Mar 21, 2015
bukatyne:

Must it get to that? No

Will all husbands respect the political inclinations of their wives? Maybe not.

So maybe you should answer the question I have been asking and no one has answered.
If she doesn't agree with her husband's persuasion and decides to vote her choice, is it an act of insubordination? Is it justified that he fights /quarrels with her or chases her out?
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by TV01(m): 11:43am On Mar 21, 2015
lolaxavier:
So maybe you should answer the question I have been asking and no one has answered.
If she doesn't agree with her husband's persuasion and decides to vote her choice, is it an act of insubordination? Is it justified that he fights /quarrels with her or chases her out?
Not only has your question been answered, but the way you couched it demonstrates what I consider an odd approach to or understanding of marriage.
TV01:
Perhaps voters consider the issue backward. We are wedded to each other, not a politician or political party. Why are we "convinced" to vote for anyone or anything other than our family' best interest? And even if we do not agree is it in our best interest to separate because of it

If ones worldview is so markedly different from a potential spouses then it's probably a good thing they don't marry. Be it individual votes, or a single household one, I fail to see why a family will not discuss and decide to vote based on the best interests of their family first and foremost.
I previously mentioned how divergent worldviews could be a potential source of conflict/disunity in a marriage regardless of political persuasion;
TV01:
Does one vote per household as I outlined it suggest disunity? However,I would reckon that a large difference in worldview could give rise to marital disunity - however the spouses vote.

And you never answered my questions; what is so sacrosanct about an individual right to vote?
TV01:
The "equal right to vote" is as society has decided, we could also decide on "household right to vote". I have seen nothing to suggest individual right to vote is any better in that it leads to better elected officials or improved governance. You harp on about the right, think about the outcome.

TVMIC
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by bukatyne(f): 12:15pm On Mar 21, 2015
lolaxavier:

Act of insubordination? Depends on the husband

Justified he fights/quarrels/chases her out? Depends on the answer to question 1.
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by lolaxavier(m): 2:00pm On Mar 21, 2015
TV01:

Not only has your question been answered, but the way you couched it demonstrates what I consider an odd approach to or understanding of marriage.

If ones worldview is so markedly different from a potential spouses then it's probably a good thing they don't marry. Be it individual votes, or a single household one, I fail to see why a family will not discuss and decide to vote based on the best interests of their family first and foremost.
I previously mentioned how divergent worldviews could be a potential source of conflict/disunity in a marriage regardless of political persuasion;

And you never answered my questions; what is so sacrosanct about an individual right to vote?

TVMIC

Truth be told, I sincerely see no valid point in your arguments. What makes my point an odd approach? Everyone is basically entitled to exercise their civil right to vote. If you have a wife that is ready to agree to vote your candidate, good for you but that does not in anyway make a woman who does not agree to vote your candidate a bad wife.
This is your own ideology. If you are asking 'what is so sacrosanct about an individual right to vote, then I should begin to question your ideology about how you view the role of a woman.
And mind you, I asked my question in simple and direct way, don't answer in parables, give your direct answer to it. You collected PVC individually. INEC doesn't issue one PVC to a whole family. If she agrees to pick your candidate, good for you, if otherwise, then she should be allowed to vote her choice. Simple!
Re: Must The Head Of The House Determine Who His Wife And Children Vote For? by lolaxavier(m): 2:05pm On Mar 21, 2015
bukatyne:

Act of insubordination? Depends on the husband

Justified he fights/quarrels/chases her out? Depends on the answer to question 1.

If you are saying it depends on the husband, then it's an indirect way of saying she doesn't have a right to exercise her civil duties as a citizen of the country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Woman Spotted Walking Stark Unclad In Lagos / 10 Dark Secrets From The Wealthiest Family In World History / A Pleasant 45 Year Old Man Proposed To Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.