Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

The Plight Of The African Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Plight Of The African Religion (1257 Views)

Religion Is Against The Poor And Their Plight / The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 9:51am On Mar 20, 2015
[b]I am very emotionally attached to africa and the black race as a whole. Being a huge fan of mythology i have dabbled into so many of them both jewish, ugarit, egyptian, greek, roman, mayan, sumerian, african and most especially recently the igbo mythology.

I remember as a young boy being born into a strict christian home, my parents always warned me not to near anything related to masquerade or eating any food used in such ceremonies that it was a big sin and i would go to hell if i did. they even warned me not to eat in one of my uncle's house that the food may have been offered to a pegan god meaning it is sin.

I recall going to confession after eating such food which was irresistible from the huge chunk of meats and fish it was garnished with, i carried the guilt of that supposedly sin for more than 2years.

Growing up, i started reading some historical documents, african mythology and history in general.
I realised that the christian faith my parents were so quick to place above African traditional religion was a recent imported religion.

So many questions began forming in my mind.

a. How did we know the white people were right and our own religion and Gods were false?

b. How is the african religion evil?

c. Why neglect our own mythology and history for the mythology and history of another people.

d. Is it really right to forgo out rich cultural heritage because some white men in white flowing robes said so?

e. What really is peganism and how did it differ from the ancient religions of these other people (arabs and jews) that have been forced down our throat.

I had so many questions, but bringing it up to my parents as a young boy would incur their wrath and allegedly anger God (the christian God).

The african traditional religion have been with africa from the very beginning, in fact one cannot separate the African history from african traditional religion.

It a way our fore-fathers tried explaining the universe and the cosmos and their own little way of doing science; Astrology, arts, music, medicine and remarkably even mathematics.

By separating Africans from african history, the colonial masters forced theirs on us, their religion were imposed on us that today you can see people going to any length to portray these foreign myths as a universal truth, the question is "How did you know this is true and not this?

Like i once said here in nairaland;
Before the missionaries came to africa (including the arabs that imposed islam on some part of africa)

The african society was diverse, beautiful and morally sane. we had our own Gods and mythology. The missionaries told us our own gods were demons but the ones they brought was the real god.

Their god threatened us with hell fire which none of the african gods never did but yet they are termed the wicked gods.

When will africa fight to preserve our own root, when will africa preserve our own fast dying and waning cultural heritage.
I can go on forever with words but words only is not enough.

(N.B: i know many will ask i thought you were an atheist?
Yes very much i am, but i love the colourful and wonderfully diverse African MYTHOLOGY and would rather preserve more of it than any jewish or arabic mythology, let the jews and arabs do that for themselves "I am an African"wink

[/b]

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by Rilwon: 9:57am On Mar 20, 2015
Why do you like to be referred to as an "atheist"?
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 10:02am On Mar 20, 2015
Rilwon:
Why do you like to be referred to as an "atheist"?

Honestly it's not a tag i love being referred with but since it was a label given to those of us who disbelief the concept of gods as reality seeing none of the claims can be demonstrated. so i kinda dont av any objection being referred to as one. smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by CountDracula(m): 10:11am On Mar 20, 2015
All d best for u
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by Rilwon: 10:30am On Mar 20, 2015
johnydon22:

Honestly it's not a tag i love being referred with but since it was a label given to those of us who disbelief the concept of gods as reality seeing none of the claims can be demonstrated.
"What is your definition of God?"

so i kinda dont av any objection being referred to as one. smiley

okay congrat
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 10:32am On Mar 20, 2015
Rilwon:
"What is your definition of God?"

okay congrat
I know you are a muslim, so exactly that your definition of God and everyother similar definitions you can think of.

meanwhile i am not here to talk about theism and atheism kindly open a thread about it and mention me.. please it is not what this thread is about.. thanks
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by Rilwon: 10:40am On Mar 20, 2015
johnydon22:
I know you are a muslim,

yes i am... rilwayne00.1

so exactly that your definition of God and everyother similar definitions you can think of.

No, i want to know your own definition of GoD, For a person to say there is no God, he should know what is the meaning of God.

meanwhile i am not here to talk about theism and atheism kindly open a thread about it and mention me.. please it is not what this thread is about.. thanks

It is.

You claimed to be an atheist in the OP.
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 10:43am On Mar 20, 2015
Rilwon:

yes i am... rilwayne00.1

No, i want to know your own definition of GoD, For a person to say there is no God, he should know what is the meaning of God.

It is.

You claimed to be an atheist in the OP.
please my statement that i am an atheist in the op is for those that would ask me why i was writing about ATR... if you want to engage me, open a thread and mention me. . i will not reply you on this again smiley
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by Rilwon: 10:48am On Mar 20, 2015
johnydon22:
please my statement that i am an atheist in the op is for those that would ask me why i was writing about ATR... if you want to engage me, open a thread and mention me. . i will not reply you on this again smiley

okay smiley
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by gatiano(m): 3:44pm On Mar 20, 2015
You broke my chair because i fell out of it suddenly, i could not believe my eyes reading this fine post of yours. I am still checking is this johnydon22? like you had a dream or epiphany. Afterall, you are not an atheist, You are just not yet convinced, and asking questions is a wonderful thing, GOD loves it so much. Keep seeking, knowledge has no bound.
I do hope that with your questions, you understand what Self-forgetfulness means?
Our suffering is due to living other than ourselves, adopting other people's culture.
johnydon22:
I am very emotionally attached to africa and the black race as a whole. Being a huge fan of mythology i have dabbled into so many of them both jewish, ugarit, egyptian, greek, roman, mayan, sumerian, african and most especially recently the igbo mythology.

I remember as a young boy being born into a strict christian home, my parents always warned me not to near anything related to masquerade or eating any food used in such ceremonies that it was a big sin and i would go to hell if i did. they even warned me not to eat in one of my uncle's house that the food may have been offered to a pegan god meaning it is sin.

I recall going to confession after eating such food which was irresistible from the huge chunk of meats and fish it was garnished with, i carried the guilt of that supposedly sin for more than 2years.

Growing up, i started reading some historical documents, african mythology and history in general.
I realised that the christian faith my parents were so quick to place above African traditional religion was a recent imported religion.

So many questions began forming in my mind.

a. How did we know the white people were right and our own religion and Gods were false?

b. How is the african religion evil?

c. Why neglect our own mythology and history for the mythology and history of another people.

d. Is it really right to forgo out rich cultural heritage because some white men in white flowing robes said so?

e. What really is peganism and how did it differ from the ancient religions of these other people (arabs and jews) that have been forced down our throat.

I had so many questions, but bringing it up to my parents as a young boy would incur their wrath and allegedly anger God (the christian God).

The african traditional religion have been with africa from the very beginning, in fact one cannot separate the African history from african traditional religion.

It a way our fore-fathers tried explaining the universe and the cosmos and their own little way of doing science; Astrology, arts, music, medicine and remarkably even mathematics.

By separating Africans from african history, the colonial masters forced theirs on us, their religion were imposed on us that today you can see people going to any length to portray these foreign myths as a universal truth, the question is "How did you know this is true and not this?

Like i once said here in nairaland;
Before the missionaries came to africa (including the arabs that imposed islam on some part of africa)

The african society was diverse, beautiful and morally sane. we had our own Gods and mythology. The missionaries told us our own gods were demons but the ones they brought was the real god.

Their god threatened us with hell fire which none of the african gods never did but yet they are termed the wicked gods.

When will africa fight to preserve our own root, when will africa preserve our own fast dying and waning cultural heritage.
I can go on forever with words but words only is not enough.

(N.B: i know many will ask i thought you were an atheist?
Yes very much i am, but i love the colourful and wonderfully diverse African MYTHOLOGY and would rather preserve more of it than any jewish or arabic mythology, let the jews and arabs do that for themselves "I am an African"wink

Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 4:07pm On Mar 20, 2015
gatiano:
You broke my chair because i fell out of it suddenly, i could not believe my eyes reading this fine post of yours. I am still checking is this johnydon22? like you had a dream or epiphany. Afterall, you are not an atheist, You are just not yet convinced, and asking questions is a wonderful thing, GOD loves it so much. Keep seeking, knowledge has no bound.
I do hope that with your questions, you understand what Self-forgetfulness means?
Our suffering is due to living other than ourselves, adopting other people's culture.
lol seems you like not comprehending people's quote but fast enough to chip in your views.. like i said in the last part I am an atheist That i love african culture and mythology doesnt mean i hold it to be reality, its still mythology like others..smiley
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by TrajansKong: 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2015
johnydon22:
lol seems you like not comprehending people's quote but fast enough to chip in your views.. like i said in the last part I am an atheist That i love african culture and mythology doesnt mean i hold it to be reality, its still mythology like others..smiley

Johnydon2, I'm afraid you're going to struggle (and may well fail) to convey such a message on this forum!!

Asking us, as Africans, to question our beloved beliefs is like holding a gun to our heads. We will fight, bite, kick, scream and attack you in every way should you dare ask us how we know what we know. We'll insult your heritage, parentage and sexuality and destroy you because you're asking us to step into the light beyond the shadow of the Xtian/Muslim shield. We do not want light. The gloom illuminates us. Our strength comes from unquestioning obedience to Jesus/Allah/whatever and our minds are a source of absolute terror to many, many many of us.

I salute you nonetheless and wish you well in your fascinating journey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by gatiano(m): 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
xaxaxaxaxax, by far you are not an atheist. according to one of your post in this same tread;

Honestly it's not a tag i love being referred with but since it was a label given to those of us who disbelief the concept of gods as reality seeing none of the claims can be demonstrated. so i kinda dont av any objection being referred to as one.

Atheist do not belief in the incorporeality of gods(God as spirit). the white control christianity, Judaism, Islam and modern African traditional religion believe in god as a spirit. Atheist simply say that there is not god.

But the disbelief in the concept of God/Gods as reality/corporeality is not Atheism, it is satanism or denialism. which means deep inside, they believe there is God/Gods.

johnydon22:
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by TrajansKong: 4:59pm On Mar 20, 2015
gatiano:

But the disbelief in the concept of God/Gods as reality/corporeality is not Atheism, it is satanism or denialism. which means deep inside, they believe there is God/Gods.

This. Is Insane. Also irrelevant to the original topic. We are discussing our collective and seemingly total abandonment of traditional beliefs and behaviours (which don't need to be 500% true, ok?) for the embrace of European and Semitic sky-gods (and pleeeeease don't kick off with the usual - "But the original Semites were Africans just like you and me!" - because we all know exactly who brought us these ideas...
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 5:16pm On Mar 20, 2015
gatiano:
xaxaxaxaxax, by far you are not an atheist. according to one of your post in this same tread;

Honestly it's not a tag i love being referred with but since it was a label given to those of us who disbelief the concept of gods as reality seeing none of the claims can be demonstrated. so i kinda dont av any objection being referred to as one.

Atheist do not belief in the incorporeality of gods(God as spirit). the white control christianity, Judaism, Islam and modern African traditional religion believe in god as a spirit. Atheist simply say that there is not god.

what? and am supposed to start exchanging words with you when you simply lack comprehension?? let me make it clear to you now i disbelief all concepts of god(s) and i also disbelief any claim of spirit or anything supernatural so this your "atheist dont believe in the incoporation of gods as spirits" is way of the hook and uncalled for.
[size=20]I am a proud atheist[/size] smiley So can you just shift well with your black god islam shiiiit...
am done replying you when you lack comprehension of simple english..Please if you cannot address the point raised in the op, don't bother quoting me cus i wont reply it.
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by gatiano(m): 5:27pm On Mar 20, 2015
Who says we a semites and all those things? i do not know about that and to me, those are yesterday people, I am an ancient of days, i have been here before the said Adam and Eve of the bible, I don't even know my own beginning and i will never see my own ending, because i don't have an ending. It is the non-blacks that had a beginning which was 6 days ago and they have 1 day more to bow out either shamefully or gracefully (their choice). and the black person who has shamefully brought himself or herself low to the level of the beast will surely die along with them.

about the corporeality or incorporeality of God was a discussion between johnydon22 and I.

Our abandonment of our traditions was due to self forgetfulness. We intentionally allowed evil. Evil is such that the blackman or the blackwoman has never seen or experienced. Thus we made those that can perpetuate evil from within ourselves, they are called devils(humanbeings, that the black people forgetfully get attracted to).
since we needed to know, we have to be in it, because "to know is to be" and "to learn about a thing is to be that thing". The ancients of days fears nothing.
What we call African traditional religion were merely deviced 6000 years ago to help us survive the existence of the devil's wickedness and evil, or at the maximum 50,000 years ago. we don't need it anymore

TrajansKong:

This. Is Insane. Also irrelevant to the original topic. We are discussing our collective and seemingly total abandonment of traditional beliefs and behaviours (which don't need to be 500% true, ok?) for the embrace of European and Semitic sky-gods (and pleeeeease don't kick off with the usual - "But the original Semites were Africans just like you and me!" - because we all know exactly who brought us these ideas...
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by gatiano(m): 5:31pm On Mar 20, 2015
xaxaxax, blackman atheist, there is no need to be abusive. get on going with whatever it is that suit your imagination best.
johnydon22:
what? and am supposed to start exchanging words with you when you simply lack comprehension?? let me make it clear to you now i disbelief all concepts of god(s) and i also disbelief any claim of spirit or anything supernatural so this your "atheist dont believe in the incoporation of gods as spirits" is way of the hook and uncalled for.
[size=20]I am a proud atheist[/size] smiley So can you just shift well with your black god islam shiiiit...
am done replying you when you lack comprehension of simple english..Please if you cannot address the point raised in the op, don't bother quoting me cus i wont reply it.
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 6:03pm On Mar 20, 2015
and so he starts with his elijah moses black man science fiction **hits hand in fore head** **sighs**

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by gatiano(m): 6:05pm On Mar 20, 2015
and yet you are unable to proof one point of them wrong.
johnydon22:
and so he starts with his elijah moses black man science fiction **hits hand in fore head** **sighs**
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by johnydon22(m): 6:07pm On Mar 20, 2015
gatiano:
and yet you are unable to proof one point of them wrong.
can you prove that i don't have a flying black unicorn in my house now? cheesy
Re: The Plight Of The African Religion by gatiano(m): 6:30pm On Mar 20, 2015
If you do have it, tell us about its qualities, how does it look like, have we seen one? as one ever existed that we do not know of? if so, how?
A unicorn is a horse with wings and a single horn on its head, it does not exist literally, but it does have an allergorical meaning.
comparing this type of thing with what Elijah Muhammad said is just too poor on your side. He backed everything he said up with scientific proof. that even einstein couldn't disagree.

johnydon22:
can you prove that i don't have a flying black unicorn in my house now? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

See How These People Reacted To A Ramadan Post / Read How Christianity Has Changed Adewale Ayuba / 'Stop All Muslim Immigration To United States': Franklin Graham

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.