Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien (15976 Views)

Devcenter Launches Job Platform For Software Developers / Why Do Nigerian Software Developers Avoid Maven When Building Java Applications? / Nigeria Software Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by kaboninc(m): 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2015
I'll rather we work local and think global.

I strongly believe the local market it yet to be fully exploited and harnessed. This is were innovation comes in.

With the experience and knowledge gained, we become better placed to take on global challenges, competing globally with our peers.

Government and private institutions have very important roles to play most especially in areas of knowledge acquisition and patronage.

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by toshodei: 5:50pm On Mar 26, 2015
kaboninc:
I'll rather we work local and think global.

I strongly believe the local market it yet to be fully exploited and harnessed. This is were innovation comes in.

With the experience and knowledge gained, we become better placed to take on global challenges, competing globally with our peers.

Government and private institutions have a very important roles to play most especially in the areas of knowledge acquisition and patronage.

Yeah I believe you. What local content websites do we need? So far, we have:

1. Nairaland For Nigerian's Social Forums
2. Naij For Nigerian News
3. IrokoTv For Nigerian Videos.

Anymore
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by kaboninc(m): 6:34pm On Mar 26, 2015
toshodei:

Yeah I believe you. What local content websites do we need? So far, we have:

1. Nairaland For Nigerian's Social Forums
2. Naij For Nigerian News
3. IrokoTv For Nigerian Videos.

Anymore

I do not understand

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by toshodei: 6:57pm On Mar 26, 2015
kaboninc:

I do not understand

I agree with you that we need to focus on the local market, but what part? For Nigeria's Social Forum Market, Nairaland has dominated. For Nigeria's Video Market, IrokoTv has dominated and for Nigeria's News Market, Naij has dominated. For Nigeria's Job Market, Jobberman has dominate it. So what part of Nigeria's Local Market should we focus on and then from there move global?
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by kaboninc(m): 7:14pm On Mar 26, 2015
toshodei:

I agree with you that we need to focus on the local market, but what part? For Nigeria's Social Forum Market, Nairaland has dominated. For Nigeria's Video Market, IrokoTv has dominated and for Nigeria's News Market, Naij has dominated. For Nigeria's Job Market, Jobberman has dominate it. So what part of Nigeria's Local Market should we focus on and then from there move global?

By working local I meant the focus should be on harnessing opportunities within our local communities. The SMEs around, the schools around, the small offices, banks, telecom firms, manufacturing, health, law firms around. We should be able to identify the needs in this space and go on to meet it. By doing so we continuously improve our capability and also draw knowledge from the global pool. To succeed, you need to identify your market and carve your niche.

When we talk of IT, most people think its all about web and nairaland and naij and Ikeji. Its more than that. A computer scientist is a problem solver, a solution provider. Nairaland is more about meeting a need than creating a website. Heck, naij and Linda's blog are not the only news site.

Do we talk about crypts, security systems, expert systems, robotics, communications systems, artificial intelligence systems, parallel computing, compiler and OS development?

That's why a Computer Scientist or a similar post is useful in every field of human endeavour.

2 Likes

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by toshodei: 7:28pm On Mar 26, 2015
kaboninc:

By working local I meant the focus should be on harnessing opportunities within our local communities. The SMEs around, the schools around, the small offices, banks, telecom firms, manufacturing, health, law firms around. We should be able to identify the needs in this space and go on to meet it. By doing so we continuously improve our capability and also draw knowledge from the global pool. To succeed, you need to identify your market and carve your niche.

When we talk of IT, most people think its all about web and nairaland and naij and Ikeji. Its more than that. A computer scientist is a problem solver, a solution provider. Nairaland is more about meeting a need than creating a website. Heck, naij and Linda's blog are not the only news site.

Do we talk about crypts, security systems, expert systems, robotics, communications systems, artificial intelligence systems, parallel computing, compiler and OS development?

That's why a Computer Scientist or a similar post is useful in every field of human endeavour.

I feel you and I agree with you on everything you wrote.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by olaleyeoladejo: 1:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
As an aspiring/new programmer, it can be challenging to decide which language to program in.

C# is the best choice of language for people new to object oriented programming based on factors including learning curve, job specific requirements, platform specifics, or a plethora of other criteria.The C# programming language was created from the ground up to be an object-oriented programming language that offers ease of use, familiarity to C/C++ and Java developers, along with enhanced memory and resource management.

Benefits of Learning C#

From an employer's perspective C# developers are highly in demand
The language is constantly adding new and more powerful features
It runs on platforms other than windows using Mono Project
The Visual Studio tool-set is the best developer environment in the planet
C# can be used to develop many types of applications including: Desktop application(Windows for,WPF), Web Application(ASP.Net), Mobile Application(Xamarin...)
TRAIN TO BE A C# DEVELOPER(WINDOWS APP AND MOBILE APP)

Handson C# Training
Develop a desktop application.
Develop a cross-platform mobile application with Xamarin (Windows , IOS, Android)
Price: N40000
4 Weekends(Sat: 10am - 2pm and Sun: 1pm -5pm)
November Training starts: November 7.
Venue: Orchid Hotel- Plot 3 Dreamworld Africana Way, By Chevron Toll Gate, Lekki-Epe ExpressWay Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Microcontroller Programming Corner / What Programming Languages Do You Know? / Sage OS (HTML5) : The Development (with download link)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.