Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,736 members, 7,809,818 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here (3097 Views)

Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira / Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Osun State Farmers, Let Meet Over Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by noblefarm: 9:19pm On Mar 21, 2015
what is happening to cocoa farming now, is it still in the hand of aged villagers, if yes, why? pls comments, I want to know why no body is talking cocoa here.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by AreaFada2: 3:00am On Jul 09, 2015
noblefarm:
what is happening to cocoa farming now, is it still in the hand of aged villagers, if yes, why? pls comments, I want to know why no body is talking cocoa here.

Cocoa takes quite some years to yield harvest except maybe newer breeds I'm not aware of. It's also a very sensitive plant. Rain, sunshine, cool weather, soil type, all have to be just right. Otherwise they die, blackpod fungus ruin it, underyield etc.

Village grandpas are perhaps those left with the patience and passion for cocoa. Who can commit acres of excellent land, weed and maybe even pump with chemical for some years without harvest.

Younger ones can make more money if they apply similar effort growing other plants. Don't forget the price fluctuations too. Any year there's bountiful harvest in Ghana & Ivory coast, Brazil, prices plunge.

So cash crop prices can be unpredictable, it depends on international markets. Cocoa is a "supercash crop" because unlike oil palm or cashew that can give you palm oil/edible fruit before you sell the kernel/seeds as cash, cocoa is entirely cash crop.

And unlike cassava, maize, plantain that you can sell in markets all over 9ja and are consumed widely on daily basis.

But Cocoa is a wonderful plant. You can use the fresh young leaves as efor (best soup for amala I have ever tasted), young sprouting pods as okro, the burnt waste pods to make native soap, dead trunk is excellent fuel. Very versatile plant I tell you.

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by olayemifisayo(m): 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2015
AreaFada2:

Cocoa takes quite some years to yield harvest except maybe newer breeds I'm not aware of. It's also a very sensitive plant. Rain, sunshine, cool weather, soil type, all have to be just right. Otherwise they die, blackpod fungus ruin it, underyield etc.

Village grandpas are perhaps those left with the patience and passion for cocoa. Who can commit acres of excellent land, weed and maybe even pump with chemical for some years without harvest.

Younger ones can make more money if they apply similar effort growing other plants. Don't forget the price fluctuations too. Any year there's bountiful harvest in Ghana & Ivory coast, Brazil, prices plunge.

So cash crop prices can be unpredictable, it depends on international markets. Cocoa is a "supercash crop" because unlike oil palm or cashew that can give you palm oil/edible fruit before you sell the kernel/seeds as cash, cocoa is entirely cash crop.

And unlike cassava, maize, plantain that you can sell in markets all over 9ja and are consumed widely on daily basis.

But Cocoa is a wonderful plant. You can use the fresh young leaves as efor (best soup for amala I have ever tasted), young sprouting pods as okro, the burnt waste pods to make native soap, dead trunk is excellent fuel. Very versatile plant I tell you.

Nice.... @Areafada... you know so much about cocoa, is that what you do?
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by AreaFada2: 6:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
olayemifisayo:

Nice.... @Areafada... you know so much about cocoa, is that what you do?
No but I remember going to grandpa's farms during long holiday those day to help pump cocoa against blackpod disease and harvest it sometimes. Those days in Edo State, popular antifungals were Didimac 25, Gamalin 20, Copper sulphate, Perenox. Excellent medicines then. Pretty much like in neighbouring Ondo State. No, am only involved in poultry n plantain for now. Like I said, one needs to really have time to dedicate to cocoa.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by olayemifisayo(m): 8:01am On Jul 14, 2015
AreaFada2:
No but I remember going to grandpa's farms during long holiday those day to help pump cocoa against blackpod disease and harvest it sometimes. Those days in Edo State, popular antifungals were Didimac 25, Gamalin 20, Copper sulphate, Perenox. Excellent medicines then. Pretty much like in neighbouring Ondo State. No, am only involved in poultry n plantain for now. Like I said, one needs to really have time to dedicate to cocoa.

Come and invest in plantatain in Ogun state
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by Adetayo41(m): 8:37pm On Jan 17, 2016
Pleases I need someone to enlighten me more on cocoa plantain and casava farming and business aspect of it .
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by skilldammy2: 12:47pm On Nov 11, 2016
For your Business plan, Seedlings and Plantation establishment on Plantain, Cocoa, Citrus, Cashew and Oil palm. Kindly contact SKILL CONSULT on 08123916545
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by Stephendinma: 7:23pm On Nov 22, 2016
AreaFada2:

Hello could pls tell me more about plaintain plantation
I have 4acers of land in delta asaba,2 each in diffrent places
I have about 20 thousand pounds to invest,
Could you give me ur experiences as a plaintain farmer
Every single detail and cost break down please

Thanks
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by AreaFada2: 7:55pm On Nov 22, 2016
Stephendinma:

Hello could pls tell me more about plaintain plantation
I have 4acers of land in delta asaba,2 each in diffrent places
I have about 20 thousand pounds to invest,
Could you give me ur experiences as a plaintain farmer
Every single detail and cost break down please

Thanks

Dude plantain farming is fairly easy. Especially if you can monitor it yourself. Soil in many parts of Delta is likely to retain moisture even in dry season, so good for plantain. From my little experience, it is best to farm it on forest land, more nutrients. But clearing costs more money. So most now use bushland.

Ensure good soil. Clear bush & get good quality suckers and plant by May latest. Though many plant even in August or later even.
Space ideally 3m x 2 (IITA standard) or 2.5m x 2.5m. Some do 3 x 3m if inter-cropping. Depending on spacing an acre should take about 650 suckers. Although some squeeze in up to 1000 suckers. grin cheesy
Check for bad suckers and replace by around July (when it will be evident they are not growing well).

Control weed. Mellon can be used to do that partly. We have used both weedicide & manual weeding.
Keep an eye on disease.
We have never used fertilisers.

Never used irrigation. But I think it would be really helpful around January/February, but for the costs/logistics.

Heavy winds can be a challenge at times.

Harvest is modest in first year. Year 2 is the real deal.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by Seun(m): 9:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
Bump
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by bigdaddy1: 8:44am On Jun 23, 2017
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by imhere: 8:38am On May 23, 2018
Cocoa farming is very beautiful; it is an agribusiness you can harvest money from all the days of your life.

Although it is capital intensive; but there are ways you can raise cocoa farm with ease when you follow the steps laid down on this post....

http://www.enibest.com.ng/cocoa-farming/
Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by noblefarm: 7:23am On Jul 26, 2018
Any update on new variety of cocoa

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Let Meet Here by SanctifiedSista(f): 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2021
All I know is that if u have to sell in metric tonnes, let me know..customers yapa
1. Maize
2. Soybean
3. Sesame seed
4.cocoa
5. Sorghum
6. Palm Kernel
7. Rice Paddy
8. Cassava
9. Hibiscus
10. Cashew

U also want to buy..DM me now
Baban Trading got u covered

(1) (Reply)

My Palm Oil Storage Biz / In Need Of Pomegranate (rumman) Seedlings / Chicken Manure For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.