Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work (3090 Views)

Evolution And Concepts Behind Virtual Reality Headsets / Permanent Earbuds And Night-vision Eyes: The Weird World Of Biohacking / Order For For Bluetooth, Micro Earpiece Spy Pen And Other Spy Gadgets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by sonickay(m): 6:48pm On Mar 22, 2015
Many people use earpiece, earphone and headsets. Hardly, will you go anywhere in Nigeria and not see a young chap, lad, guy, lady not flaunt his' or her's, even the old peeps don't carry las with the use of these wonderful gadgets. Yet, only a few understand the working principle of these gadgets or what is inside them. The proper Nigerian syndrome of "mystery" still becloud many people's sense of investigating, practicalising and proving technology either due to stereotypes, social barriers, religion, level of literacy, etc. This article brings to the fore, the working principles and fundamental designs of sound device from the minute unit to the bigger unit. Enjoy! Its not just for techie people but for all who uses these sound devices. Learn to live, learn to survive!
[/code] [B][/b]Headphones
by Chris Woodford. Last updated: September 27, 2014.[B][/b]
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/sennheiser_headphones.jpg[Img][/img]
If you've ever been to a rock concert and heard music thumping out of giant loudspeakers, you'll know sound can pack a powerful punch. Sometimes, however, we want to enjoy music more quietly and intimately or in places where others don't want to hear what we're listening to. Trains and planes are noisy enough—just imagine the cacophony there would be if everyone sat with massive stereo systems in front of them! For times like this, headphones let us retreat quietly into our own imaginary worlds. Let's take a closer look at what's inside them and how they work!

[B][/b]Headphones: miniature loudspeakers fixed to your ears[b][/b]
Headphones (which are often called "cans" by DJs and people who work in radio broadcasting) work in exactly the same way as speakers, so you might want to consult our article on loudspeakers if you're not sure how they use magnetism to turn electrical energy into sound. The biggest difference between loudspeakers and headphones is, of course, size. A loudspeaker needs to set all the air moving in a room so you can hear the sound it's making, but the speaker in a headphone only has to move the volume of air inside your ear canal. That's why it can be so much smaller and more discreet. Large headphones are essentially just two loudspeakers mounted on a strap that clamps firmly over your head. Earbuds work the same way but, as you would expect, everything inside them (the magnet, the coil of wire, and the diaphragm cone that makes sound) is shrunk down to a much smaller size. Speakers tend to be built into "enclosures" (as engineers call them— the rest of us call them "boxes"wink to amplify their sounds and keep them safe from damage. If you look closely, you'll see speaker enclosures usually have openings at the front or the back so air can move more freely in and out of them to generate decent sound. The same is true of headphones and earbuds, which come in two main types. As their name suggests, closed-back headphones are sealed at the back so (theoretically) no sound escapes (or leaks in from outside) while open-back headphones are open to the air at the back as well as the front. Many people find that open-back headphones sound better but much of the noise will leak into the room around you and annoy other people, while "ambient" noise from the room can easily penetrate open-back headphones and annoy you too. If that's a problem, you need closed-back headphones or noise- cancelling headphones, which make it easy to cut yourself off completely.
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/earbudsb.jpg[Img][/img]
[I][/i]Photo: A pair of earbud phones from an MP3 player. The metal gauze on the front is "acoustically transparent": it lets sound out without letting (too much) dirt and dust in. The backs of some earbuds are completely sealed to stop sound from escaping (so they're similar to closed-back headphones), though other earbuds do have small vent holes in them (making them equivalent to larger, open-backed headphones).[I][/i]

[B][/b]How earbuds work[b][/b]
Taking broken things apart is a great way to find out how they work. [B][/b]If you're a young person, ask an adult first to make sure what you want to dismantle is really safe.[B][/b]
1. Here's my broken earbud and I've popped the back off it. You can see how the wires run up through the main case to the coil inside. We need two wires to make a circuit: one carries the current into the coil from the stereo; the other carries it back again.
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/earbud2.jpg[Img][/img]

2. Next, I've tipped the earbud over and popped the front cover off. The front cover is a plastic disc with holes in it to let the sound enter your ear. Just behind it there's a very small cone. It's hardly cone-shaped, though: it's a flattish, transparent disc made of very thin and flexible plastic, and it's quite crinkly and crackly when you move it. You can just see the tiny metal coil (colored red) attached to it.
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/earbud3.jpg[Img][/img]

3. In summary, then, these are all the bits that make up your earbuds:
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/earbud4.jpg[Img][/img]

Back case: holds everything together. The wires run up through a hole at the bottom.
Front case: This is the part that faces into your ear. Sometimes it's covered with a little fabric pouch to keep it clean.
Seal: This rubbery circle clips the front case to the back case, holding the two together.
Wires: Carry signals from the stereo to the speaker.
Magnet: The permanent magnet at the back of the speaker. This is the heaviest part of an earbud and makes up the vast majority of its weight. Coil: This becomes an electromagnet when electricity flows through it.
Transparent plastic cone: This makes the sound when it moves.

[B][/b]What about normal headphones?[B][/b]
As you might expect there's nothing radically different inside bigger headphones: they're just a scaled-up version of what you find inside earbuds.

[B][/b]How bigger headphones work[b][/b]
As luck would have it, the arrival of my new Sennheiser headphones was followed quite quickly by the final collapse of my old pair. I could have repaired them, my friends, but in the interests of your curiosity, they've agreed to leave their insides to medical science! Let's see what we find when we open them up:
1. This is one of the two earpieces from my old pair of open-backed headphones with the light foam cover and the cable removed. Note that "open-backed" is a bit of an understatement for what you see here: the headphones are almost completely open to the air and built around a kind of plastic spoke design. The diaphragm that makes the sound is in the center. The open spokes radiating outwards are there to make the headphone the right size to cover your ear, without making it too heavy or uncomfortable.
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/headphones1.jpg[Img][/img]

2. Now I've popped out the central part that contains the loudspeaker.
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/inside-sennheiser-headphone2.jpg[Img][/img]

3. Break off the protective plastic "spokes" and you can see the transparent plastic cone/ diaphragm behind. You can also just see some small holes (beige dots) behind it that let sound out of the back and allow the diaphragm to move back and forth more freely.
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/inside-sennheiser-headphone3.jpg[Img][/img]

4. Now the painful part. Break open the diaphragm cone (it's much thicker plastic than the ones in earbuds) and you can see the coil (red band) fastened on to it and the permanent magnet (silver and gold) behind. The coil sits in the slot like a band running loosely around the outside of the magnet:
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/inside-sennheiser-headphone4.jpg[Img][/img]

5. Here's another shot of the diaphragm cone and the coil:
[Img][/img]cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/inside-sennheiser-headphone5.jpg[Img][/img]

[B][/b]Source:[b][/b] http://www.explainthatstuff.com/headphones.html[code]
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by 42n8dzydoo(m): 6:48pm On Mar 22, 2015
K
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by prevail23(m): 6:53pm On Mar 22, 2015
OP...what is d use of d summary being taught in schools?
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by sonickay(m): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2015
Mods pls, I am having issue with the text formatting codes. Please auto-correct it, there are many important pics in this post. Or can anyone put me through, its being a while I used the text formatting. Thanks
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by sonickay(m): 7:11pm On Mar 22, 2015
prevail23:
technology is no literature friend. Technology and science is different. You can tell a prgrammer to summarise code of 50 pages of a scientific calculator application or tell an engineer to give you a summary. The only thing he can do is to give you a schematic. But alas! This post is impossible to represent in summary as a schematic. Get it?
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by sonickay(m): 7:14pm On Mar 22, 2015
prevail23:
technology is no literature friend. Technology and science is different. You can't tell a prgrammer to summarise code of 50 pages of a scientific calculator application or tell an engineer to give you a summary. The only thing he can do is to give you a schematic. But alas! This post is impossible to represent in summary as a schematic. Get it?
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 22, 2015
sonickay:

OP Find your article below, debugged by dolapobello1

Many people use earpiece, earphone and headsets. Hardly, will you go anywhere in Nigeria and not see a young chap, lad, guy, lady not flaunt his' or her's, even the old peeps don't carry las with the use of these wonderful gadgets. Yet, only a few understand the working principle of these gadgets or what is inside them. The proper Nigerian syndrome of "mystery" still becloud many people's sense of investigating, practicalising and proving technology either due to stereotypes, social barriers, religion, level of literacy, etc. This article brings to the fore, the working principles and fundamental designs of sound device from the minute unit to the bigger unit. Enjoy! Its not just for techie people but for all who uses these sound devices. Learn to live, learn to survive!
Headphones
by Chris Woodford. Last updated: September 27, 2014.

If you've ever been to a rock concert and heard music thumping out of giant loudspeakers, you'll know sound can pack a powerful punch. Sometimes, however, we want to enjoy music more quietly and intimately or in places where others don't want to hear what we're listening to. Trains and planes are noisy enough—just imagine the cacophony there would be if everyone sat with massive stereo systems in front of them! For times like this, headphones let us retreat quietly into our own imaginary worlds. Let's take a closer look at what's inside them and how they work!

Headphones: miniature loudspeakers fixed to your ears
Headphones (which are often called "cans" by DJs and people who work in radio broadcasting) work in exactly the same way as speakers, so you might want to consult our article on loudspeakers if you're not sure how they use magnetism to turn electrical energy into sound. The biggest difference between loudspeakers and headphones is, of course, size. A loudspeaker needs to set all the air moving in a room so you can hear the sound it's making, but the speaker in a headphone only has to move the volume of air inside your ear canal. That's why it can be so much smaller and more discreet. Large headphones are essentially just two loudspeakers mounted on a strap that clamps firmly over your head. Earbuds work the same way but, as you would expect, everything inside them (the magnet, the coil of wire, and the diaphragm cone that makes sound) is shrunk down to a much smaller size. Speakers tend to be built into "enclosures" (as engineers call them— the rest of us call them "boxes"wink to amplify their sounds and keep them safe from damage. If you look closely, you'll see speaker enclosures usually have openings at the front or the back so air can move more freely in and out of them to generate decent sound. The same is true of headphones and earbuds, which come in two main types. As their name suggests, closed-back headphones are sealed at the back so (theoretically) no sound escapes (or leaks in from outside) while open-back headphones are open to the air at the back as well as the front. Many people find that open-back headphones sound better but much of the noise will leak into the room around you and annoy other people, while "ambient" noise from the room can easily penetrate open-back headphones and annoy you too. If that's a problem, you need closed-back headphones or noise- cancelling headphones, which make it easy to cut yourself off completely.

Photo: A pair of earbud phones from an MP3 player. The metal gauze on the front is "acoustically transparent": it lets sound out without letting (too much) dirt and dust in. The backs of some earbuds are completely sealed to stop sound from escaping (so they're similar to closed-back headphones), though other earbuds do have small vent holes in them (making them equivalent to larger, open-backed headphones).

How earbuds work
Taking broken things apart is a great way to find out how they work. [B][/b]If you're a young person, ask an adult first to make sure what you want to dismantle is really safe.
1. Here's my broken earbud and I've popped the back off it. You can see how the wires run up through the main case to the coil inside. We need two wires to make a circuit: one carries the current into the coil from the stereo; the other carries it back again.

2. Next, I've tipped the earbud over and popped the front cover off. The front cover is a plastic disc with holes in it to let the sound enter your ear. Just behind it there's a very small cone. It's hardly cone-shaped, though: it's a flattish, transparent disc made of very thin and flexible plastic, and it's quite crinkly and crackly when you move it. You can just see the tiny metal coil (colored red) attached to it.

3. In summary, then, these are all the bits that make up your earbuds:

Back case: holds everything together. The wires run up through a hole at the bottom.
Front case: This is the part that faces into your ear. Sometimes it's covered with a little fabric pouch to keep it clean.
Seal: This rubbery circle clips the front case to the back case, holding the two together.
Wires: Carry signals from the stereo to the speaker.
Magnet: The permanent magnet at the back of the speaker. This is the heaviest part of an earbud and makes up the vast majority of its weight. Coil: This becomes an electromagnet when electricity flows through it.
Transparent plastic cone: This makes the sound when it moves.

What about normal headphones?
As you might expect there's nothing radically different inside bigger headphones: they're just a scaled-up version of what you find inside earbuds.

How bigger headphones work
As luck would have it, the arrival of my new Sennheiser headphones was followed quite quickly by the final collapse of my old pair. I could have repaired them, my friends, but in the interests of your curiosity, they've agreed to leave their insides to medical science! Let's see what we find when we open them up:
1. This is one of the two earpieces from my old pair of open-backed headphones with the light foam cover and the cable removed. Note that "open-backed" is a bit of an understatement for what you see here: the headphones are almost completely open to the air and built around a kind of plastic spoke design. The diaphragm that makes the sound is in the center. The open spokes radiating outwards are there to make the headphone the right size to cover your ear, without making it too heavy or uncomfortable.

2. Now I've popped out the central part that contains the loudspeaker.

3. Break off the protective plastic "spokes" and you can see the transparent plastic cone/ diaphragm behind. You can also just see some small holes (beige dots) behind it that let sound out of the back and allow the diaphragm to move back and forth more freely.

4. Now the painful part. Break open the diaphragm cone (it's much thicker plastic than the ones in earbuds) and you can see the coil (red band) fastened on to it and the permanent magnet (silver and gold) behind. The coil sits in the slot like a band running loosely around the outside of the magnet:

5. Here's another shot of the diaphragm cone and the coil:

Source: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/headphones.html

Fixed! cool

OP how much will you pay?
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by sonickay(m): 7:23pm On Mar 22, 2015
dolapobello1:

Fixed! cool

OP how much will you pay?
lolz, maybe I should just quote myself then. Thanks
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 22, 2015
sonickay:
lolz, maybe I should just quote myself then. Thanks

You're welcome.
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by sonickay(m): 7:51pm On Mar 22, 2015
dolapobello1:

Fixed! cool
Don't answer Dolapo people, he even designed his name too. Keep your hands crossed. Its been over 3years I bought any sound device myself. I enjoy repairing ear piece and headsets, I make fair sums a week from doing this for students. I will make a step-by-step post of how I repair them soon.
but Dolapo show me how you fixed this please
Re: How Earpiece, Earbuds And Headsets Work by SUGARSON(m): 5:58am On Apr 13, 2015
NICE ONE @DOLAPOBELLO1

(1) (Reply)

Dubai To Debut Robot Police In 2017 / Big Snake Swallow A Student In Northern Nigeria - Graphics Pic's / Free Browsing Code; Using Model Or Mobile Phone To Browse Free.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.