Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up (1082 Views)

6 Symptoms Of A Failing Alternator / How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing / How To Diagnose Alternator Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by ogawisdom(m): 7:34pm On Mar 22, 2015
I noticed for sometime nw n particularly this evening as I was abt to drive out dt my steering ws stiff and this happened for abt 1min b4 it feels normal onces more.

Mean while my sound system drags abit n cuts off as I rolled down d window as if d battery has insufficient power to carry out all functions at once.

After driving for two minutes everything got back to normal n neva happens again until d first start up for d next day.

Wats goin on

NB I do a lot of short distance city driving 10 - 30min with stop n go traffic n I wonder if its sufficient for d alternator to charge d battery fully
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by obitobe: 7:55pm On Mar 22, 2015
your battery is becoming weak and needs replacement. as for your steering becoming stiff does it make noise when you stir it.
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
ogawisdom:
I noticed for sometime nw n particularly this evening as I was abt to drive out dt my steering ws stiff and this happened for abt 1min b4 it feels normal onces more.

Mean while my sound system drags abit n cuts off as I rolled down d window as if d battery has insufficient power to carry out all functions at once.

After driving for two minutes everything got back to normal n neva happens again until d first start up for d next day.

Wats goin on

NB I do a lot of short distance city driving 10 - 30min with stop n go traffic n I wonder if its sufficient for d alternator to charge d battery fully

Serpentine belt is slack, re-adjust.
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by oktawian(m): 8:06pm On Mar 22, 2015
First check what is the voltage of the battery before you start the engine at the morning, after that check the voltage when the engine is runing.
Then as a GAZZUZZ said check the belt and all pulleys !!
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by ogawisdom(m): 8:07pm On Mar 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Serpentine belt is slack, re-adjust.

U mean my fan belt, d thing has been making annoying noise since last year my mechanic changed it. D mech said I shld b putting oil on it dt with time d belt will set well n d noise will go.

Do I change it altogether or sth
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by oktawian(m): 8:12pm On Mar 22, 2015
Do not put any oil on the belt ! Just check pulleys ! cos they can be dead and that is causing the noise !
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by ogawisdom(m): 8:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
obitobe:
your battery is becoming weak and needs replacement. as for your steering becoming stiff does it make noise when you stir it.

Nope no noise I am suspecting my fan belt is weak
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by ogawisdom(m): 8:18pm On Mar 22, 2015
oktawian:
First check what is the voltage of the battery before you start the engine at the morning, after that check the voltage when the engine is runing.
Then as a GAZZUZZ said check the belt and all pulleys !!

Hw do I check battery voltage
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by oktawian(m): 8:20pm On Mar 22, 2015
here you go grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKexCny9yk

you need to find someone who has a multimiter.
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:33pm On Mar 22, 2015
ogawisdom:

Wats goin on

you have gave us the details of your car, from what you discribe i assume that your power steering is powered by an electric motor

its sound that your battery holding charge (the charge from the alternator ) the cells in the battery are dying they hold charge
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:04pm On Mar 22, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

you have gave us the details of your car, from what you discribe i assume that your power steering is powered by an electric motor

its sound that your battery holding charge (the charge from the alternator ) the cells in the battery are dying they hold charge

Its a carinaII or carinaE. 1989-95 max
Re: Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up by obitobe: 4:47am On Mar 23, 2015
ogawisdom:

Nope no noise I am suspecting my fan belt is weak
okay then if you suspect the belt get an original belt but first when my belt was making noise i poured water on the belt while the engine was running and it stopped the noise. how old is your battery?

(1) (Reply)

This 3-D Printed Supercar Packs 700 Hp!!! / What Is The Maximum Speed You've Attained While Driving? / If Cars Are Designed In Nigeria, The Features!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.