Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,266 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Nigerian Rappers - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Rappers (4113 Views)

no / Be Wise And Get Enlightened – An Advice To Nigerian Rappers / Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Rappers by BloodShed1: 3:33pm On Jan 19, 2009
I hate to say this, but from what I've heard, most, if not all Nigerian rappers seem to fit the same mould. Rubbish, average at most lyricists with wannabe American sounding accents, and/or just bad grammar.

I'm yet to se a Nigerian rapper with thought-provoking lyrics with good structure and good uses of metaphors, like Canibus, Royce 5'9'', Cyssero and Joell Ortiz to name a few. Everyone seems to think they are 50 Cent out here, and its obvious that most of these rappers have never seen a local airport yet alone leftthe country. The only thing Nigerian hip-hop has to contest with say UK hip hop is production (alot of UK hip hop production is average too, but it has been stepping up alot recently).

Who is that rapper that dropped ''I'm rhyming like Makaveli, you're lyrics are smelly-smelly'' (or something like that) in one of his verses?
ARE YOU F****G SERIOUS?? Do people get excited over those nursery rhymes out here? Those bars are cringeworthy.

The other day I was in the car with my uncle and my cousin driving home and we heard some stupid rapper saying something like ''I'll break bottles like breakables' or something like that?

I hope I'm not on my own because if you people like those sort of lyrics or think they are soemwhat clever then we havea problem.

LOL
Re: Nigerian Rappers by benedo(m): 9:06am On Jan 20, 2009
BloodShed,

Urr Onpoint my man,

whenever i hear the track urr talking about,by Mi my stomach just turns and turns, eeeewww!, but i biliv you are a little bit to hard on Nigerian Rappers, I could still manage Mode Nine who stands head above shoulders amongst his , ''peers"?
Re: Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 9:20am On Jan 20, 2009
@poster

OYO for you mahn

You tryna diss M.I abaga? lol. k.

if you really wanted to know real naija rappers, all you had to do was just ask. . . . . . . .

And u keep saying "something like that", which means you are not listening properly, you are just nit-picking tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rappers by BloodShed1: 9:41am On Jan 20, 2009
Wait, which rappers were I talking about with each of those lyrics? Name names, I want to listen to those songs with those lyrics just fora good laugh. PLEASE??! Someone make my day lol.

Shit, I dont even rap, but I can deliver better than them. And I mean it, I really think its that bad.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 10:03am On Jan 20, 2009
You wanna diss M.I? asks you again! You wanna diss m.i? lol

k

list of songs from M.ihttp://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=post;topic=221155.0;num_replies=3
http://www.esnips.com/doc/8881277a-b793-4cc7-b8a7-710bb8468e95/M.I--Drop_it

B4 u say anytin about this song, that was from his mixtape. no be pirated copy ok?

http://www.esnips.com/doc/82de87fb-fa54-4bc1-9b0f-cbab97bfbff4/MI-Abaga--Long-Thing

http://www.esnips.com/doc/e2fae37a-f46d-4ddc-b1fe-bb2c78f9718a/naija_hardest
Thats 3 naija MT mc's on a mixtape for knighthouse. . . M.I did the last verse

now to the real songs

http://www.esnips.com/doc/57ebd231-12c6-4b9d-97b6-da9aae476fbd/M.I-hustle

http://www.esnips.com/doc/219a2877-a2e9-4389-98a0-1791c095dc43/ANOTI-M.I

http://www.esnips.com/doc/0822ba96-7546-4542-86f8-07e110315001/FastMoney---M.I

http://www.esnips.com/doc/c0748ef9-865d-4c9a-a693-42064a6cfe4f/M.I_-_Blaze_feat._Jesse_Jags,_Ice_Prince

ok. . . .thats enough. . . .if u need more, seek and u shall find grin

see my friend. . .that is just M.I up there, Dont let me start with likes of MODE9, SAUCEKID tongue, DAGRIN and so on and so on.

Safe. . . . .i'm out!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 10:19am On Jan 20, 2009
Guys, poster does really have a point.

As easy as some think Rap Music sounds, it's not an easy art. You need to be armed with a lot of tools to be called a real rapper of international reckoning. Of these tools I think impressive lyrics with a corresponding on-point delivery or flow are the most important. A rapper is like a messenger. First, a messenger needs a message. But then he needs to deliver it well to be listened to. I remember the town criers that I used to see in some home videos back then. These guys go to town with a message . . . coupled with a sonorous/captivating voice and a gong to deliver it. Come to think of it, on finishing they even ask their audience - "Have I spoken well?" Shows how important your audience should be to you as a messenger. Your message must be delivered to 'em gracefully and effectively.

In Nigeria, rappers still got a lot of work to do to be regarded as rappers of international standards. That's why there's this pervading appreciation for singers more than rappers - in today's Nigeria. Which rapper in Nigeria enjoys international recognition like 2face, 9ice, Femi Kuti, Majek Fashek et al? Nigerian rappers need to take thangs to another level.

But then you may not all agree with me but like I said earlier, rap is more difficult as a music art than singing. A lot of peops don't understand that rappers also need music/voice training just like their singing counterparts. They need to learn MUSIC. They need to learn how to play instruments. Some so-called Nigerian rappers just walk up to the mic and spit nonsense. They brag and boast all the time, not knowing that most of the stuff their American colleagues brag about are real. It's not even about blings. What are the 4 elements of hip hop? MCing/Rap, Break-dance, DJ-ing and Graffiti. Rappers who have these on top of their minds can't but get respect. Rappers need to master the very first element very well - Mcing/Rap. That's where delivery and lyrics come in.

But then again the standard of Hip Hop has been lowered/compromised in Nigeria *and even the world over*. Marketers, promoters, producers, managers etc now dictate what these rappers should rap about. Not only rap, they dictate what music should sound like in Nigeria. I do know a lot of artistes in Nigeria who could sound a lot better if given a level playing ground. But these above mentioned people, plus DJs and presenters are the ones killing the game. They insist on club-bangers all the time. No messages. Just dance. No skills. If you make sensible music they won't play it. Just put a commercial producer on your joint and presto - there goes another hit song. That's bullsh*t.

We as a people have come to accept this brainwash. We now believe that songs must be all dance and no message. I'm not against dance but THERE MUST BE A MESSAGE! Not only that. As a rapper, whatever happened to wordplay, wit, humour, wisecracks, etc? And this is even spreading round the world. When rap was rap, an MC was a god. Commanded awe, respect, power. . .

A lot of questions come up in my mind. With the hungry DJs that we have, how won't the standards be compromised? They dictate what artistes should play. Everything has been commercialized. It's all banging banging and zero sense. Hardly do we hear sensible music on radio anymore. These DJs also get paid to play. That's nonsense.

In Nigeria, 3 rappers show a lot of prospects - Mode9, Ruggedman & MI. Whilst the first is lyrical, the last 2 are nice with delivery. Imagine a cross-breed between Mode and Rugged/MI . . .

Nigerian rappers need to study international acts like Biggie, Nas, 2pac, Eminem and know what they got going for 'em . . .

Well, can't stress it enough. A good rapper needs impressive lyrics and great delivery. Without these then we might as well say "Not Yet Uhuru".
Re: Nigerian Rappers by bgees(m): 10:20am On Jan 20, 2009
Naija hiphop does'nt even have a face. You find many of them trying to rap exactly like d americans.
Many of them dont even understand rap music. That ur type of music should show were u from. How would l i l wayne sound rapping without a southern accent on a westcoast beat and with an eastcoast flow? Absurd and disorderly if i may answer my question.

But i have to give kudos to people like AJASA,9ice DAGRIN and a few others rapping with the real knowlege of hiphop and who have created d nigerian brand of hiphop.
In the U.S, every region has its own specific style. But the rappers here will never understand.

Modenine,sauce kid ,overdose and other wannabees should please switch to poetry . At least so poems have punchlines and metaphors.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by princesa(f): 11:15am On Jan 20, 2009
when did nigerians start caring about lyrics of songs and their semblance to meaning or impart sense
i tot it was dance and dance till mama calls undecided
Re: Nigerian Rappers by javalove(m): 1:02pm On Jan 20, 2009
@Bamsyle

On point.

I've always been evangelizing this same things since i registered here and io get abused, dissed, sworn for cos of it.

If you spit rubbish, u aint a rapper. period!!!

Sorry Bamsyle didnt mention names but i would help you.

Saucekid is a bloooodddyyyyy american wannabee. He wasnt born there ooo my pipu. He got visa and went there and the mumu come back dey form accent. Imagine Album title sef na "AFRICAN AMERICAN" when the niggers themselves are trying to identify more wiv africa.

Ruggedman should make ur list of singers, dancers and not rappers. You wont be suprised its ruggedman lots of listeners see as a standard u see some mad heads log on to NL and start yarning dust that Ruggedman is the best thing in naija rap (coughs . . .sneezes, sorry i got cathar).

Well, Bamsyle u have spoken really well.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by MrCrackles(m): 1:08pm On Jan 20, 2009
Nigerian rappers have a long way to go!
Most of them are just a bunch of noisemaking, piss poor, excrutiatingly annoying and lyrically deficient prankstas!
Re: Nigerian Rappers by khanye(m): 1:58pm On Jan 20, 2009
MrCrackles:

Nigerian rappers have a long way to go!
Most of them are just a bunch of noisemaking, piss poor, excrutiatingly annoying and lyrically deficient prankstas!

Easy now. But why dont you name some of them wink

We Still got some good ones out of them.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by MrCrackles(m): 2:02pm On Jan 20, 2009
khanye:

Easy now. But why dont you name some of them wink

We Still got some good ones out of them.

Khanye that is why i said most of them!
Check my post

We cant all be perfect
!!! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Rappers by princesa(f): 2:35pm On Jan 20, 2009
we should stop playing innocent and acting like we've got head for morality
its not as if anyone is letting them know that they singin wack
what i mean is that
* they get awards off and on
*they make the Top Ten/twenty
*their music gets international and national recommendations
*we rock to their music on party and gatherings
*And they are always blasted on radio

so is this a basis for them to know they sing wack
undecided
abeg dance till mama calls jo cheesy
Re: Nigerian Rappers by khanye(m): 2:47pm On Jan 20, 2009
MrCrackles:

Khanye that is why i said most of them!
Check my post

We cant all be perfect
!!! cheesy

Let's know the wack ones and those trying wink
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 3:06pm On Jan 20, 2009
Thanks for the comments Java. But easy on Rugged - not above-board lyrics but good on delivery wink
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 4:17pm On Jan 20, 2009
Blood_Shed:

I hate to say this, but from what I've heard, most, if not all Nigerian rappers seem to fit the same mould. Rubbish, average at most lyricists with wannabe American sounding accents, and/or just bad grammar.

I'm yet to se a Nigerian rapper with thought-provoking lyrics with good structure and good uses of metaphors, like Canibus, Royce 5'9'', Cyssero and Joell Ortiz to name a few. Everyone seems to think they are 50 Cent out here, and its obvious that most of these rappers have never seen a local airport yet alone leftthe country. The only thing Nigerian hip-hop has to contest with say UK hip hop is production (alot of UK hip hop production is average too, but it has been stepping up alot recently).

Who is that rapper that dropped ''I'm rhyming like Makaveli, you're lyrics are smelly-smelly'' (or something like that) in one of his verses?
ARE YOU F****G SERIOUS?? Do people get excited over those nursery rhymes out here? Those bars are cringeworthy.

The other day I was in the car with my uncle and my cousin driving home and we heard some stupid rapper saying something like ''I'll break bottles like breakables' or something like that?

I hope I'm not on my own because if you people like those sort of lyrics or think they are soemwhat clever then we havea problem.

LOL

U are not on your own, dawg!!!!

Only few of em actually know what the art of rapping is all about.
On the top of ma head, i will say M.I. Ruggedman, Virus and Alabai have the potential to rip it.
When u hear mode9 talking about when "i diss a Baba, i am not talking about Ethiopia". . . .That bar is the most watery hogwash i have heard.
Then u have that moronic Banky W that sang Rihanna's song in the most pathetic and laziest attempt at stardom.
Do Nigeria have a censors board at all?? How in the name of Zeus did they let that song hit the airwaves??
Buncha classless beings.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Wordsmith(m): 4:39pm On Jan 20, 2009
. . . a rather interesting thread in the making and that hopeless mode9 nutsucker had to come smear it with his "Death to Ruggedman" messages. you might as well strap a bomb to yourself and rush at mode. . .
Re: Nigerian Rappers by MojiEsther(f): 4:51pm On Jan 20, 2009
U are not on your own, dawg!!!!

Only few of em actually know what the art of rapping is all about.
On the top of ma head, i will say M.I. Ruggedman, Virus and Alabai have the potential to rip it.
When u hear mode9 talking about when "i diss a Baba, i am not talking about Ethiopia". . . .That bar is the most watery hogwash i have heard.
Then u have that moronic Banky W that sang Rihanna's song in the most pathetic and laziest attempt at stardom.
Do Nigeria have a censors board at all?? How in the name of Zeus did they let that song hit the airwaves??
Buncha classless beings.

"i diss a Baba, i am not talking about Ethiopa", You can't decipher that? You can't even tell y and how it goes with the entire song?
I can tell you are not a rapper, a poet not to think a lyricist.
You can't feel Banky W's/Rihanna song, fine, but you think its the most pathetic and laziest attempt at stardom.
Well, like tens of thousands of people dont think it is.
I think your critisicm is not constructive, its illogically destructive. I smell beef,
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 5:40pm On Jan 20, 2009
MojiEsther:

"i diss a Baba, i am not talking about Ethiopa",  You can't decipher that? You can't even tell y and how it goes with the entire song?
I can tell you are not a rapper, a poet not to think a lyricist.

I can see you are a little bit spastic and demented.
How the hell is that punchline gon' be recognised internationally.
Isn't that what the OP was talking about in the first place about our music lacking substance??
It is so mis-directed as many artistes use 'Baba' in the Naija hip-hop industry. Mode9 coulda worded the punchline better.
He has no sense of direction.

You can't feel Banky W's/Rihanna song, fine,  but you think its the most pathetic and laziest attempt at stardom.
Well, like tens of thousands of people dont think it is.

Cos the tens of thousands don't have class and a listening ear.
tens of millions of people also think Eedris is better than 50 cent so forget the figures and open your eyes.

I think your critisicm is not constructive, its illogically destructive. I smell beef,

I don't expect people who function on a negative integer IQ to see what i see.
Go home, go play with your toys. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Rappers by A40(m): 6:06pm On Jan 20, 2009
I dunno i think most of them do not exactly have real love for the art so you can't expect them to put out any thought provoking shit because they simply do not have it in them.I think the whackness is a universal thing though there are whack American Rappers as well
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 20, 2009
@Poster
I totally agree!

javalove:

Saucekid is a bloooodddyyyyy american wannabee. He wasnt born there ooo my pipu. He got visa and went there and the mumu come back dey form accent. Imagine Album title sef na "AFRICAN AMERICAN" when the niggers themselves are trying to identify more wiv africa.
Thankyou jare x 1 Million
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Ibime(m): 6:16pm On Jan 20, 2009
Freestyle from Trybesmen and Mode9 are the only Naija rappers worth listening to. All the rest are garbage.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 8:08pm On Jan 20, 2009
I dont understand these people oh. The poster is talking bout lyrics and made reference to one of the trying nigerian rappers as rubbish. and errbody is saying yea yea he's right.

yea he's right. but he still doesnt know what he's talking about. he doesnt listen to naija rap. that was the 1st time he'll listen to it(in his uncles car grin) and then he used that little piece he heard to judge the whole nigerian rappers. waaahhh? he didnt even bother making a research or sumn. Instead of him to ask for the best out of the best in naija, he's busy badmouthing all of them.

Did nigerians start rap or what? how are they supposed to do it better than those that do it abroad. .? unless or maybe they grew up there. No one can tell me a full proper nigerian, born and bred, will do rap better than someone who grew up abroad. . . . .the vocabs compared to what guy learn in naija is just different . . . . . . . .

So, the little that do it and people feel them are trying. . . .they dont need to do at the same level as the kanyes, jayzs, nas's and so on.
its naija. . . .and rocking naija is enough. . . .if you feel they dont appeal to you, simply close ya earz whenever their songs are being played. . . . .
Re: Nigerian Rappers by darequam(m): 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2009
Change they say is a constant, Maybe it is hightime changes occur in hiphop. Rap of these days is not tha same with that of yesterday. I feel rap should now be divided into two,
LYRICALY ENRICHED RAP
ENTERTAINING RAP.
We could as well add another category to hiphop- (wackhop) thats just my view on this issue. Things change, R&B of yesterday is not the same with today.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 8:29pm On Jan 20, 2009
lalaboi:

Did nigerians start rap or what? how are they supposed to do it better than those that do it abroad. .? unless or maybe they grew up there. No one can tell me a full proper nigerian, born and bred, will do rap better than someone who grew up abroad. . . . .the vocabs compared to what guy learn in naija is just different . . . . . . . .

I disagree with you. . . . .
Naija born n bred go to foreign universities and shit on white peops with outstanding grades in any course.
What has been born outside Nigeria gotta do with the art of poetry.
Nigeria did not start soccer, how come they were able to win under 17 competitions n stuffs??
Our people in Nigeria should upgrade their vocab, message content and make it enjoyable for Non-Nigerians.
The target audience should include all n sundry not Yoruba peops alone.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 20, 2009
lalaboi:

yea he's right. but he still doesnt know what he's talking about. he doesnt listen to naija rap. that was the 1st time he'll listen to it(in his uncles car grin) and then he used that little piece he heard to judge the whole nigerian rappers. waaahhh? he didnt even bother making a research or sumn.
Einstein, he actually said 'The other day I was in the car with my uncle and my cousin driving home and we heard some stupid rapper saying something like ''I'll break bottles like breakables' or something like that?', meaning, 'the other day' not, 'this is the first and only naija track I have heard in my whole lifetime', the guy was just giving an example. tongue

lalaboi:

So, the little that do it and people feel them are trying. . . .they dont need to do at the same level as the kanyes, jayzs, nas's and so on.
its naija. . . .and rocking naija is enough. . . .if you feel they dont appeal to you, simply close ya earz whenever their songs are being played. . . . .

Even if aliens were the ones that started rap it does not mean that only THEY can be good at it, or at least DECENT.
Re: Nigerian Rappers by MrCrackles(m): 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2009
lalaboi:

I dont understand these people oh. The poster is talking bout lyrics and made reference to one of the trying nigerian rappers as rubbish. and errbody is saying yea yea he's right.

yea he's right. but he still doesnt know what he's talking about. he doesnt listen to naija rap. that was the 1st time he'll listen to it(in his uncles car grin) and then he used that little piece he heard to judge the whole nigerian rappers. waaahhh? he didnt even bother making a research or sumn. Instead of him to ask for the best out of the best in naija, he's busy badmouthing all of them.

I used to think you had a clue or two!
Poppycocks!!!!
Re: Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2009
~Sauron~:

I disagree with you. . . . .
Naija born n bred go to foreign universities and shit on white peops with outstanding grades in any course.
What has been born outside Nigeria gotta do with the art of poetry.
Nigeria did not start soccer, how come they were able to win under 17 competitions n stuffs??
Our people in Nigeria should upgrade their vocab, message content and make it enjoyable for Non-Nigerians.
The target audience should include all n sundry not Yoruba peops alone.

Gud. . .

Most Naija borns grow up speaking their local language more than english. English aint naija's 1st language, if not for slave trade will nigerians be speaking english? Dont think so.
You want them to upgrade their vocabs and make everone else dumb. . . . . ABINIBI is different from ABILITY. the fact that people born abroad tend to speak more english with strong VOCABs(although most of them cant spell it lol) and they understand it, dont mean a country like nigeria which their majority only learn the basic and dont give a damn about the vocabs can do it better than them. . . . .

Football wasnt created by the brazilians and they can do it better than the inventors. . . Englishmen
Their language is in built! it wasnt invented. . . , so the point about football doesnt count. . . .
If they choose to do it in yoruba. . .why not? they are in LASGIDI a yooba state. . . .
its like saying a french rapper should go to newyork city and start rapping in french and people will feel him
Re: Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 8:45pm On Jan 20, 2009
ibkaye:

Einstein, he actually said 'The other day I was in the car with my uncle and my cousin driving home and we heard some stupid rapper saying something like ''I'll break bottles like breakables' or something like that?', meaning, 'the other day' not, 'this is the first and only naija track I have heard in my whole lifetime', the guy was just giving an example. tongue
Even if aliens were the ones that started rap it does not mean that only THEY can be good at it, or at least DECENT.

Tell me no nigerian rapper is doing rap decently
Re: Nigerian Rappers by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 20, 2009
lalaboi:

Tell me no nigerian rapper is doing rap decently
Please, who said that
Re: Nigerian Rappers by SisiJinx: 8:51pm On Jan 20, 2009
What about MI? He is darn good abeg. angry angry
Re: Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 8:53pm On Jan 20, 2009
ibkaye:

Please, who said that

The POster used the words "i am yet to see a nigerian rapper" forget the comparisms. he fails to appreciate what guyz are doing in naija. . . . .he should continue listening to canibus and co. . .shikena!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Timaya And Nico Gravity: Is Timaya In Jail? / DOWNLOAD: Mohbad – End Sars • Mp3 / Zoro - Enyi + Obiageli Ft Wizboyy + Papawa ( Is He Phyno's Nemesis?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.