Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba (5954 Views)

Google!!! Now In 3 Nigeria's Ethnic Languages / Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service / My Blog In Hausa Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by Mbeki: 5:22pm On Jan 19, 2009
You can now search google with in Hausa and Yoruba language. At least Naija is getting recognition. But what happened to the IBO version undecided
www.google.com.ng
Re: Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Jan 19, 2009
Stale news. Of what use is google in Youruba, hausa or Efik if the rsults don't come in those languages, instead they appear in English.
Re: Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by yawatide(f): 6:16pm On Jan 19, 2009
Nigeria is only getting "recognition" cos of the volunteers who put in the time, not google.

I support what afam has said though - if the results are going to be in english, y bother? Or is there a phase 2 for this (I doubt it) that they aren't talking about?
Re: Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by Mustay(m): 9:13am On Jan 20, 2009
These languages are very popular and widely spoken and thus, it comes as no surprise.

However pages should be translated just the way Google translates some pages to Mandarin Chinese, german etc
Re: Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by auwal87(m): 3:50pm On Jan 20, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Nigeria is only getting "recognition" cos of the volunteers who put in the time, not google.

I support what afam has said though - if the results are going to be in english, y bother? Or is there a phase 2 for this (I doubt it) that they aren't talking about?

Gaskiya ne. I have spent lot of time translating as well. It is good to see that the time I (we) waisted has not gone in vain. I have made many ones for Gmail as well (much as 85%) I hope they will put it anytime soon.

BBC also have a fully pledged news website in Hausa, courtesy of the BBC Hausa Radio Service, the website is www.bbchausa.com

I hope to see more.
Re: Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by auwal87(m): 3:58pm On Jan 20, 2009
There is still more work to be done in Hausa Language. I will try and complete the main search this week.

See the progress for Hausa Language below.

Re: Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba by nagoma(m): 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2009
Good to see a start in these African languages; I have a few comments for the Hausa technical team.

The phrase you use to mean computer i.e . Naura mai kwakwalwa is defective for the following reasons;
1. It is long ajnd cumbersome especially when you have to use it over and over again eg in a computer manual or teaching program.
2. It is terminolgically wrong as the computer has no brain (kwakwalwa) ; to say it has is misleading.
3. "Naura" meaning machine in an Arabic word which has no common usage in Hausa. If you have to use it why not just say "computer" - you can change the spelling to make it more hausa like e.g. Rediyo, mota, fetur , kananzir, tocilan etc. In any case even the Arabs just say computer or combuter.
Please let me have other views on this.

Nagoma

(1) (Reply)

It's A Month And 3 Weeks, My Google Adsense Pin Yet To Arrive, Please Help! / Cash Awoof Registration Guide: How To Register And Make ₦200,000 Monthly / Fully Managed Semi VPS Server for High Traffic Sites - WordPress, e-Commerce etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.