Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement (6347 Views)

Vacating A House Before Tenancy Expires, Do You Get A Refund? / Tenancy Agreement / Must A Lawyer Draft Tenancy Agreement ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement by hahn(m): 10:34am On Mar 24, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have been living in this house for a year now, located at Sagamu, Ogun state and just recently paid my house rent for the next year. My landlord brought this new agreement and I will like experienced persons to please help decipher before I sign it. Ill just write it out but I also took a picture of the agreement which is attached at the bottom.

1. That the rent is based on annual payment

2. That you the tenant shall be wholly responsible for repairs of any damage done to the place you occupy or anywhere in the premises by you or your relatives.

3. That you must not transfer the rooms/shops are to rent to any person or keep it locked when vacating it.

4. That under no circumstances shall you or your relative or family cause inconvenience to any person in the premises.

5. That you are to keep the yard clean in conjuction with others by rotation if necessary.

6. That in case of failure to pay your rent in advance the landlord shall regard a month of motice to quit.

7. You must not conspire to seize due rent because of your dissatisfaction on the condition of the house thereafter.

8. Using of gas or heater is not allowed in the premises

9. A month notice to quit either party terminates the agreement

10. Animal rearing is not allowed in the house.

11. Failing to comply with any of the above, the landlord will refund the balance of your payment to you and you shall then quit with your appurtences

That's the list as written in the agreement form. However, I have issues with no 1, 5, 6, 8 and 9.

1. I believe there is a law that allows tenants to pay 6months after the first one year

5. Throughtout last year, we the tenants paid for the cleaning of the house. Apparently, despite the fact that the landlord lives with us and his apartment is bigger than everyone elses plus his wife has a shop, he feels we should be solely responsible of sweeping of the compound.

6. Here, he is implying that we have to pay in advance even before the rent ends I also think that quit notice is supposed to be for 3-6months

8. Does he really have the right to tell us not to use gas or heater in our own homes?

9. Still on the month's notice

Your comments and contributions will be most appreciated. If I have made a mistake in my own conclusion ill appreciate your correction.

NOTE: Everything I've written is exactly as it is in the agreement form word for word

Thanks in advance

1 Share

Re: Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement by spiceybrain(m): 10:59am On Mar 24, 2015
1,6 and 9 are not proper, if you have a lawyer, pls get your lawyer to serve her the Lagos state tenancy rules, same happened to to my sister and we got our lawyer to serve the landlady the rules guiding Lagos state concerning rent. ever since then she has not said a word, she is very scared now.(the landlady). don't allow the landlord or land lady to intimidate you. take necessary and legal action. don't sign the form.talk to other neighbours about it and you guys can raise money to get a solicitor

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement by hahn(m): 11:13am On Mar 24, 2015
spiceybrain:
1,6 and 9 are not proper, if you have a lawyer, pls get your lawyer to serve her the Lagos state tenancy rules, same happened to to my sister and we got our lawyer to serve the landlady the rules guiding Lagos state concerning rent. ever since then she has not said a word, she is very scared now.(the landlady). don't allow the landlord or land lady to intimidate you. take necessary and legal action. don't sign the form.talk to other neighbours about it and you guys can raise money to get a solicitor

Thank you very much. The house is actually in Sagamu, Ogun state
Re: Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement by hahn(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2015
More opinions needed please
Re: Please I Need Professional Advice Over My Tenancy Agreement by killfear(m): 5:50am On Mar 26, 2019
Tenancy Agreement or relationship is a contract. Disregard whatever anyone tells you are contained in the Tenancy law, as far as you have agreed and signed anything with your landlord,that becomes the overiding terms of the contract and same shall be enforceable,notwithstanding what the Tenancy law provides. So, negotiate with your landlord,points bout terms you are not comfortable with, the agreement should be redrafted and be rest assured it is enforceable.

(1) (Reply)

Sanitary Wares in Lagos: For Architects, Interior Designers and other Projects / Amazing Promo Offer At Sangotedo Beside Novare Mall.....pls Call+2349030188831 / Looking For Land In Ogun Or Oyo State For Comercial Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.