Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,172 members, 7,953,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:25 PM

Setting Boundaries Around Children. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Setting Boundaries Around Children. (580 Views)

Setting Goals For 2017 The Right Way / Blind Wife Defends Husband Accused Of Setting Landlord Ablaze (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting Boundaries Around Children. by Xbee007(m): 11:36am On Mar 24, 2015
Complaint of a concerned mother: My neighbor usually send my daughter on errands but of recent she does it on regular basis and doesn't even take permission from me anymore before doing so. I decided that my daughter ignores her when she calls her to send her on errand to certain places which are, in my opinion, not appropriate for children, especially those that involves crossing of roads. Since, I made that decision, I have become the enemy of my neighbor.
I want to be at peace with my neighbor but I don't want my children or I to be taken for granted.
Was I wrong to have set boundaries? Or am l actually spoiling my daughter as my neighbor puts it?
Please I need your opinion!!!
Re: Setting Boundaries Around Children. by bellong: 11:43am On Mar 24, 2015
Let him become your enemy for doing the right thing. Not in this environment should anybody including parents be sending their children to cross the road considering too many careless drivers on the street.

You have done the right thing and you do not owe your neighbour any explanation or apology.
Re: Setting Boundaries Around Children. by shrekandfiona: 12:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
Xbee007:
Complaint of a concerned mother: My neighbor usually send my daughter on errands but of recent she does it on regular basis and doesn't even take permission from me anymore before doing so. I decided that my daughter ignores her when she calls her to send her on errand to certain places which are, in my opinion, not appropriate for children, especially those that involves crossing of roads. Since, I made that decision, I have become the enemy of my neighbor.
I want to be at peace with my neighbor but I don't want my children or I to be taken for granted.
Was I wrong to have set boundaries? Or am l actually spoiling my daughter as my neighbor puts it?
Please I need your opinion!!!
Please you did the right thing. In this era of kidnapping, child molestation etc my kids must always be within sight o. Your neighbor should do the errands herself or send her own kids/ wards.

I also need advice on how to deal with a neighbour always bringing her child to my house weekends while she goes out and picks her up late evening. Though my kids are same age group with hers but I use my weekends to relax and my help does not come weekends as well so am left with the kids all the time restricting my movements also am currently expecting so I feel weak at times handling them kids. Biko any suggestions?
Re: Setting Boundaries Around Children. by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 24, 2015
What u did was absolutely right!
You took the right decision any resonable parent in ur shoes would take.
Precisely, Before sending a child on an errand, you should atleast consider his/her age to determine the gravity of that errand. And if you must do so, do ensure u take the permission of the parent of that respective child or if the child's ward(s) permits it with you becoz of ur relationship with them, sure no problem.
Moreso, as a parent you should put some kind of restrictions to neighbours, sending ur child on errands for safety purpose and also to avoid manipulating ur children as slaves. [At dis junction, caution ur kids nd draw their ears very well]
Believe me some selfish and wicked neighbours can OVERDO IT. (A perfect example is my neighbour dat usually takes delight in sending peoples children on errands, whereas she has grown up kids.)
Lastly as a responsible father or mother u should let ur neighbours know the extent at which they send ur kids on errands. If possible, u nd ur neighbours should reach a compromise.
This world is rank with wickedness and Deceits. Trust no one! Take caution! Take heed!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Will You Handle This Case? / Battle Of The Sexes / When Was The Last Time You Played This Game?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.