Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,826 members, 7,828,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Resume - Question And Answer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Resume - Question And Answer (842 Views)

PHOTOS: Ondo Workers Hold Prayer Session As They Resume / NNPC Staff: Resume Before 8am Or Stay At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resume - Question And Answer by JSEARCH: 3:33pm On Mar 24, 2015
Q: How is a resume read?
Employers scan your resume for about 30 seconds on average, and ask themselves the following questions. Does this candidate possess the necessary skills to succeed at this position? Does this candidate demonstrate characteristics that fit this role and this company? Does this resume provide proof that the candidate can produce positive results and achieve success? Should I invite this candidate in for an interview to find out more? Employers want to find evidence in your resume that you will be successful on the job.

Q: A resume is a work history, right?

Some people make the mistake of thinking that a resume is just a work history. More importantly, it's a presentation of the "professional you" on paper. The importance of the work experience component on the resume is to put your skills and characteristics in a context that is understandable and believable to the employer and to demonstrate your qualifications for the position.

Q: How can I make my resume stand out against the competition?
The best way to make your resume stand out is by tailoring your resume to the exact requirements of the position you are applying for and by describing your accomplishments and experience using Action-Benefit statements that illustrate how your actions produced a measurable benefit to your previous employer. By doing these two things, you will create a resume that demonstrates you have the skills, abilities, and experience required for success in the position, and that you have the proven ability to apply those skills and abilities to achieve a positive result and add value to the company.

Q: What type of resume will be best for me?

Many people wonder what would be the best type of resume for a given situation. Should it be chronological? Should it be functional? Most importantly, your resume should be logical. You want to include the most interesting and compelling facts about you first on your resume. If those facts are shown in your current job, you probably want to use a Chronological format. If not, you may want to use a Functional format that highlights your skills, capabilities, and accomplishments up front.

Q: What are the biggest blunders people make on resumes?

Avoid these resume blunders that you might find on the resumes of inexperienced job seekers:

Lack of Focus: Be sure to start your resume with a clear objective or a summary statement. This gives you a roadmap for writing the resume and the employer a roadmap for reading it.
Poor Organization: Define a logical principle that supports the structure of your resume and carry this theme throughout. Be consistent with use of highlighting such as bolding, italicizing, and underlining.
Dull Responsibilities: Would you be interested in somebody's basic job descriptions if you had 100 resumes in a pile? Probably not. You can avoid this blunder by listing accomplishments and developing measurable Action-Benefit statements that demonstrate your ability to achieve results.
Spelling and Grammatical Errors: Even one error could land your resume in the reject pile. Make sure you proofread. Proofread and have someone else proofread your resume before you submit it to an employer.
Unconventional Formats or Styles: In an attempt to be different, variations from conventional format can be construed as too creative or abnormal. Instead, ensure that your accomplishments and unique talents make you stand out. You're better off using a conventional format and addressing your skill set to the business needs of your prospective employer.

Q: What can I do if my resume doesn't seem to be working?
If you have put a great deal of energy and thought into your resume but are still not getting the results you expected, ask yourself these questions. "Am I sending it to the right people? Are they hiring managers? Am I being realistic about the kind of job I should be looking for?" Secondly, look at the message of your resume. If someone who didn't know you read your resume, what would they say about you after a 30-second glance? One way you can test that is to have a stranger read your resume and ask that person, "Just based on what you've read about me, what can you determine about my ability to achieve results or make a positive impact?"

Q: How much time does a hiring manager spend looking at the average resume?
The average hiring manager looks at a resume for about 15 to 30 seconds, so be sure to put the most important information, such as your accomplishments and qualifications, at the top of your resume.

Q: If applying for a part-time job, do I need a resume?
Though many part-time or entry-level jobs do not require a resume, presenting a resume along with your application form may serve to separate you from the rest of the candidates. Also, since writing a resume is a life-long endeavor, it is never too early to start creating a list of your skills and experience in the form of a resume.

Q: What format should I use if I am just leaving the military?

Unless your career in the military is identical to the career field you are seeking outside the military, the best format for someone just leaving the military is a functional resume. It may be difficult for a civilian employer to understand your military accomplishments and level of experience in civilian terms. Before creating your resume, define what type of job you are looking for and the skills and abilities needed for that job. Then extract from your military experience those items that demonstrate these skills and abilities. It is probably more important to describe the skills and abilities you've gained from your experience than list the positions you've held in the military.

Q: Why are keywords important to include in a resume?
Keywords are used by computer search engines to locate candidates in a resume database based on the skills and experience described in their resume. Keywords may include industry-specific jargon, career-related skills, computer programs you have an expertise in, machines you use, and any nouns and terms that describe the tasks you perform and the requirements of your position. When you have generated a comprehensive list of these keywords and terms, add them in a Skills section of your resume, or include them throughout your resume in the descriptions of your capabilities, accomplishments, and job experience.

Q: What information should not be included in my resume?

Providing a picture, or any information about race, religion, political affiliation, gender, marital status, number of children, sexual preference, health, or weight is not appropriate for a resume, unless it is relevant to the position you are seeking. Also, do not include information about salary or any negative information about previous employers. Also, avoid including personal information such as hobbies or interests unless they demonstrate skills relevant to your next job.

Q: Should I exaggerate my experience to make myself more attractive?

You should always market yourself in the best possible light, but it is never a good idea to exaggerate your qualifications on a resume beyond the truth. If you are selected as a potential candidate, companies will verify the information in your resume. Additionally, they may ask specific questions about your experience and education, and you will need to feel comfortable and confident in your response.

Q: If I e-mail my resume, should I also mail a hard copy?

It is always a good idea to mail your resume in addition to sending it by e-mail. A resume presented on quality paper and correctly formatted will make the best impression.

Q: How long should my resume be?
A resume should consist of as many pages as necessary to present the skills, abilities, experience, accomplishments, and education that qualify you for the career field you are seeking. A general rule of thumb is one page if you are a recent graduate or new to your career path and more than one page if you have sufficient experience in your career path to merit an extra page.

Q: Can I use the same resume for several different job types?

You will get the best results if you create an individual resume targeted to each job you apply for. That doesn't mean, however, you have to start from scratch each time. Create a base resume that contains all the skills, accomplishments, and experience you have developed over your career. Then rearrange and refocus the critical information to position you in the best possible light for each job.

Q: Is the layout and appearance of my resume important?

Layout and appearance is very important, as it can convey to a potential employer your ability to communicate and present information. Make sure your resume is easy to read and contains plenty of white space. Use bold fonts to emphasize section headings, and bullet points to separate important pieces of information.

Q: Should I have someone review my resume?

You should always have someone check your resume for spelling and grammatical errors. Others may also have suggestions on improving your resume in ways you have not considered.

Q: How are scan-able or electronic resumes different from regular resumes?

If you anticipate that your resume will be added to a resume database you will want to prepare your resume accordingly. Scan-able and electronic resumes should be plain, readable fonts with minimal additional formatting, so they can be scanned into a computer with the fewest errors. Employers will look for potential candidates by searching for keywords that best describe the skill set required, so be sure to include the keyword nouns when describing your experience, skills, and abilities.

Q: Is there a special format for e-mailing resumes?

When an employer requests an e-mailed resume, they will often have instructions on the format and delivery method they prefer. If no instructions are available, your best choices are ASCII or text only (.txt) or Rich Text Format (.rtf). These formats can be opened in most word processing applications and operating systems, and can be copied into the body of an e-mail with minimal reformatting. Using ResumeMaker to e-mail your resume will automatically ensure your resume has the proper e-mail formatting.

Q: Should I include a list of references on my resume?

You do not have to include references on your resume. Most employers will assume you can provide references if they are requested.

Q: Should I send a letter of recommendation along with my resume?
You should only send a cover letter with your resume. Any additional materials, such as references, letters of recommendation, or examples of your work should be introduced at the interview.

Q: What's the best way to send a resume?
There are several ways to send your resume to an employer: fax, e-mail, regular mail, and express mail. When deciding which way to send your resume, it is always best to ask your potential employer which format they prefer, and then follow their instructions. If you are unsure of the company's preference, here are some things to consider: The advantage of postal mail is that you can ensure your resume will be seen in its best form, properly formatted and printed on quality paper. The advantage of e-mail and fax is that your resume can be seen immediately, usually the same day. Express or overnight mail is probably unnecessary since most resumes are removed from their envelopes before landing on the employer's desk so they won't be impressed by your extra effort.

Q: Where on my resume do I place professional titles?
There are several places where it would be appropriate to put your professional title. You can place your title next to your name in the format "John Stevens, CPA." You can include it in your Summary, Education, or Licenses/Certifications sections. If your title is an important qualification in your job search, be sure it appears at the top of your resume.

Q: I have several resumes. Which resume should I post for public view?

When posting a resume to a public resume database, you should try to identify as closely as possible the type of position you are most interested in, and then tailor your resume to that position. If there is more than one position, consider posting several different resumes, but keep in mind that a potential employer may end up seeing both resumes which would make you appear less focused than other candidates.

Q: The job I'm applying asks for desired salary. What should I do?
The most favorable salary strategy is to negotiate in person, later in the hiring process, after you have demonstrated your abilities. Do not include salary information in your resume or cover letter. If a job ad requests your salary requirements or salary history, you can either overlook it and not address the issue of salary at all, or state in your cover letter that you are confident their salary range is fair and competitive, and you would prefer to discuss salary during your interview.

Q: Should I always send a cover letter with a resume?
A cover letter is your personal introductory statement, and should always be sent along with your resume. Use your cover letter to explain why you are particularly interested in the position and draw attention to the experience on your resume that best qualifies you for the job. Also, use your cover letter to initiate the next step, a telephone call to answer questions about your resume or to request an interview.

Q: What tense should my resume be written in?

Generally, your Experience, Skills and Accomplishments, and most other sections should be written in the past tense and in the third person. Your Objective section should be written in the present tense.

http://jobsearchservicesng.com/index.php/article/questions-answers-resumes.html
Re: Resume - Question And Answer by Basildvalour(m): 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
How about after all the resume writing and submission for employment and all you still keep hearing is: "wow! What a wonderful resume you've got, we will get back to you in due time" but you are never called back?

Well, we'll have to fulfil all righteousness and wait for it to really be seen as a filthy rag before God.
Re: Resume - Question And Answer by JSEARCH: 6:40pm On Mar 24, 2015
Basildvalour:
How about after all the resume writing and submission for employment and all you still keep hearing is: "wow! What a wonderful resume you've got, we will get back to you in due time" but you are never called back?

Well, we'll have to fulfil all righteousness and wait for it to really be seen as a filthy rag before God.
Be postive! come to think of it, as a business man, will you prefer to hire some one who will likely kill your business?
Re: Resume - Question And Answer by Basildvalour(m): 6:48pm On Mar 24, 2015
JSEARCH:
Be postive! come to think of it, as a business man, will you prefer to hire some one who will likely kill your business?
Please, what is the criterion for knowing someone who will assuredly raise your business from just the content of his resume without a one-on-one interview?

The resume may be good, well-written but mind you, the applicant who has presented it may not be the one who has prepared it.
Re: Resume - Question And Answer by JSEARCH: 7:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
Interview takes care of that sir

(1) (Reply)

Bank Fraudulent Act / 10 Facts About Google's New CEO - Sundar Pichai / Pls Help A Bro.,i Need An Advice On Ph Taxi Things

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.