Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,009 members, 7,835,426 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities (993 Views)

Top 3 Most Difficult Exams In The World. / WAEC Results To Be Released 60 Days After Exams / Medical Students Write Exams In A.B.U Zaria This Way (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by SEHHYTEX(m): 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2015
I have thought over this issue for some period of time and have come to the conclusion that this is the bane of examination corruption, sexual harassment by lecturers, missing script, miscalculation of scores e.t.c in our universities.

For example, a course was written by a set of students, they were all happy after the paper and began predicting A's or even A+ in that course due to how easy the questions were. But to the surprisr of the students, nobody had a C in that course. He practically shared E's to the lucky students and F's to the unlucky students. It was later discovered that he submitted the result a day after the papers were written. He also wanted to prove that "una tink say una sabi book abi, i go show una" and that they needed to grease his pocket. Nothing could be done to him.
There are many more of these stories in our universities, we know of ladies being sexually harassed by lecturers and marks being awarded according to the mood of the lecturers.

My suggestion which i want students to fight for and even a law passed to rectify if necessary is that exam scripts be returned after marking is done. It will reduce
1. examination corruption
2. sexual harassment
3. missing scripts
4. Miscalculation of scores

written by
Olaniyi Seyi

Pls share ur views

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by valmunich(m): 4:56pm On Mar 25, 2015
I couldn't agree less with this OP shaa
Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 25, 2015
I totally agree with you @op.
Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by Dioxidane: 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2015
softysparky:

Seconded...
Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by psychologist(m): 8:24pm On Mar 25, 2015
Dioxidane:

Seconded...
Thirded gringrin
Well we will set up a panel to look into it grin
Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by francizy(m): 8:27pm On Mar 25, 2015
softysparky:

**stalking**

Thirded.. wink
Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by HooxJnr(m): 9:45pm On Mar 25, 2015
psychologist:
Thirded gringrin grin
Fourthed
Re: Why Exam Scripts Should Be Returned To Students After Exams In Universities by akinsadeez(m): 10:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
Great idea, but it might be a bit problematic in those courses being offered by thousands of students. Imagine trying to return scripts in a course with over 10, 000 students e.g GNS that is being done by all fresher across all faculties without exception.

I remember a course I did in the university, Eng 104. (English literature). It was a borrowed course. I will never forget that course because when we got to the board to check our results, the lecturer used a D D E D C sharing system as our marks while sprinkling a few Fs inbetween. It meant all those with matric ending in 5,10, 15 e.t.c had Cs while all others had Ds and Es and some Fs. There was no single B. It was clear he didn't mark our scripts and our mark was determined by d luck of one's matrix number. We grumbled and grumbled but nothing happened.

Most Universities have a system of calling for review of one's papers. It's just that the price attached to it is too much and students also fear victimization. I feel the best option is for universities to make the process of calling for one's papers more open, as well as less rigorous and expensive.

(1) (Reply)

Post-utme Cut-off Marks For 2015/2016 Admission (all Schools) / OAU announce new date of resumption / LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Osun State. 2015/2016 INTERNSHIP APPLICATION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.