Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,001 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? (9785 Views)

Mazda At 50: A Timeline Of Its Car Collections / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / How To Identify A Good Oil Filter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by oshiosense(m): 4:49pm On Mar 25, 2015
Pls am really confused as to the best affordable engine oil type that could be good for my Nissan car. I changed the oil that came with the car (it's a tok) and now use AP or Forte Oil super V 20w50. My mechanic even advised me to keep using the oil that it is better for a car to get used to a particular oil. Pls is AP super V 20w 50 a good oil? Also, what is the meaning of oil grade labels like 5w 20, 20w 50, etc? which of these oil grade is better for a Nissan Primera?
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by nurey(m): 5:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
oshiosense:
Pls am really confused as to the best affordable engine oil type that could be good for my Nissan car. I changed the oil that came with the car (it's a tok) and now use AP or Forte Oil super V 20w50. My mechanic even advised me to keep using the oil that it is better for a car to get used to a particular oil. Pls is AP super V 20w 50 a good oil? Also, what is the meaning of oil grade labels like 5w 20, 20w 50, etc? which of these oil grade is better for a Nissan Primera?

Op the Ap oil is good but that's if your car manufacturer recommended it.

If your car says use 5W30 or whatever and you use 20W50, be ready to buy another toks engine soon.

Eni awi fun, oba je ki o gbor, eni awi fun, oba je ki o gba.

When I took my car to a mecho to service I gave him 5W40 and the guy was asking me why I didn't use mobile xhp 20W50 that because of our weather that's what I shud use. I didn't listen to him, my car is already a year old, no knocking sound from engine, no black smoke, no oil leaks, no over heating why, because the whiteman that spends billions on research and recommends something is more informed than a form 6 drop out.

10 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by davit: 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2015
oshiosense:

I have been using the oil for my corolla sport for more than a year now with no ish! My Mecho even recommends it now to other clients even though he kicked against my using it at the initial stage.

If after the first use it does not cause you any issue, my friend go on with super v. BTW which colour is yours? I use the green color.

3 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by oshiosense(m): 3:02pm On May 27, 2015
nurey:

Op the Ap oil is good but that's if your car manufacturer recommended it.

If your car says use 5W30 or whatever and you use 20W50, be ready to buy another toks engine soon.

Eni awi fun, oba je ki o gbor, eni awi fun, oba je ki o gba.

When I took my car to a mecho to service I gave him 5W40 and the guy was asking me why I didn't use mobile xhp 20W50 that because of our weather that's what I shud use. I didn't listen to him, my car is already a year old, no knocking sound from engine, no black smoke, no oil leaks, no over heating why, because the whiteman that spends billions on research and recommends something is more informed than a form 6 drop out.
Thanks for that response. I intend to go for 5w 30 engine oil and am considering the Coastal brand or milemaster brand because of the cost of Mobile 1. Pls between the Coastal and milemaster, which do i go for?
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 27, 2015
oshiosense:
Thanks for that response. I intend to go for 5w 30 engine oil and am considering the Coastal brand or milemaster brand because of the cost of Mobile 1. Pls between the Coastal and milemaster, which do i go for?
The 20W50 is good for our clime.

2 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by mayor2013: 10:21am On May 28, 2015
You all should be ready to face the problem of sludge build up in your engines by using 20w-50 eventually leading to knocking out your engines

2 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Nobody: 10:43am On May 28, 2015
mayor2013:
You all should be ready to face the problem of sludge build up in your engines eventually leading to knocking out your engines
Exaggeration.

7 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by mayor2013: 10:50am On May 28, 2015
Costee:

Exaggeration.

Explain better

1 Like

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 28, 2015
mayor2013:

Explain better
An incipient timing chain whine in my 2006 Maxima (the 6th Gen) was cured when I discontinued the use of a lower viscous engine oil for 20W50. The timing chain whine is a known issue with the 6th Gen, and even in the US car enthusiast are now well advised to use 10W40 in addressing the issue. Sludge, I believe, comes into the scene either from disuse or unusual extended use. I change my oil at 5,000km and I've never experienced sludge or poor engine performance. All this is personal experience you'd say; but then I've been well served.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by mayor2013: 1:41pm On May 28, 2015
Costee:

An incipient timing chain whine in my 2006 Maxima (the 6th Gen) was cured when I discontinued the use of a lower viscous engine oil for 20W50. The timing chain whine is an known issue with the 6th Gen, and even in the US car enthusiast are now well advised to use 10W40 in addressing the issue. Sludge, I believe, comes into the scene either from disuse or unusual extended use. I change my oil at 5,000km and I've never experience sludge or poor engine performance. All this is personal experience you'd say; but then I've been well served.

Why shoot yourself in the leg? are you gonna use just one sample of car to generalise?to think of it you used a car with a known engine problem You can continue with the use of any type of oil you wish to use. I cannot convince you in choosing how you maintain your car. I think this topic has been discussed on car talk severally

1 Like

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 28, 2015
mayor2013:

Why shoot yourself in the leg? are you gonna use just one sample of car to generalise?to think of it you used a car with a known engine problem You can continue with the use of any type of oil you wish to use. I cannot convince you in choosing how you maintain your car. I think this topic has been discussed on car talk severally
Of course you can't see the logic in the sole example I've used. But do you have empirical data to prove the harmful effects of 20W50 in cars used in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by mayor2013: 2:25pm On May 28, 2015
Costee:

Of course you can't see the logic in the sole example I've used. But do you have empirical data to prove the harmful effects of 20W50 in cars used in Nigeria?

Hang on till it does the damage wink

1 Like

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by blazetitov: 2:57pm On May 28, 2015
@ OP Use the recommended oil for our car.I use milemaster 5W30 for my toyota camry and its working perfectly.
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 28, 2015
mayor2013:

Hang on till it does the damage wink
Yes, just as I expected: a convenient and unscientific subterfuge.

6 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by mayor2013: 5:43pm On May 28, 2015
Costee:

Yes, just as I expected: a convenient and unscientific subterfuge.
Unscientific you wrote? Are car manufacturers eschewing science here by recommending what oil best suites their products?
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by oluwaseunla(m): 3:07am On May 29, 2015
@Oshiosense, 20w50 is a bit thick for your car. Like mayor2013 said, you have to watch out for engine sludge build up if you keep using it. Funny thing is, like Costee said, a lot of people also complain of timing chain rattle when they use 5w30 in the primera in our environment, so I won't advise you to go near the milemaster either.

Solutions? Stick to 10w40 (semi-synthetic), or 5w40 (full synthetic). Both are available in most TOTAL filling stations, or log on to konga.com, you'll get other brands. The Castrol magnatec (10w40) or Castrol edge(5w40) are excellent choices.

2 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by peterjero(m): 7:46am On May 29, 2015
You all didn't ask the op the year of his primera. And are forming technocrats.
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by seriousthing(m): 8:18am On May 29, 2015
All this are nothing but story. Engine has a life span and no matter the oil u use, when it is time to packup it will. D recommended oil for for Toyota 3sfe engine is 10w40 but each time I use the oil, starting up in the afternoon was usually a problem. so I went back to oando oleum SL which is mineral oil with 20w50. I have used it for 4 years and up till now, steam comes up each time I start the car in the morning.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by oshiosense(m): 11:31am On Jun 01, 2015
oluwaseunla:
@Oshiosense, 20w50 is a bit thick for your car. Like mayor2013 said, you have to watch out for engine sludge build up if you keep using it. Funny thing is, like Costee said, a lot of people also complain of timing chain rattle when they use 5w30 in the primera in our environment, so I won't advise you to go near the milemaster either.

Solutions? Stick to 10w40 (semi-synthetic), or 5w40 (full synthetic). Both are available in most TOTAL filling stations, or log on to konga.com, you'll get other brands. The Castrol magnatec (10w40) or Castrol edge(5w40) are excellent choices.
Thanks for your advice. I finally settled for Total 5w-40
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by dhemmyhardy(m): 9:42pm On Jun 01, 2015
Hi All, Do you need 5w 30, 5w 40, 5w 20
Manufacturer Recommended Engine oil I have a very
Good products( NorthSea) 5litre fully synthetic. We supply any where in Nigeria but
We are base in Lagos......check my signature for my details and contact

Dhemmyhardy

1 Like

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by pestrolus2002(m): 8:49am On May 13, 2018
I think, from all what I read on the internet about the appropriate engine oil for any particular car although the manufacturer specifications is the the best but environmental temperature is also an important factors to be considered.
The manufacturer are in cold weather and. Most recommended using a thinner oil in winter and possibly a thicker one in summer.
I will want to say regular change of oil is the key. From my personal experience with Toyota Camry 1999. I used super V (20w,50) with oil treatment for 8yrs + the engine still steams when warning it every morning ant it runs smoothly more than a friends tokunbo that I drove recently.
To conclude with regular oil change is the best, I change my it every 3,000-3500km.
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by kormene: 8:25pm On May 24, 2018
To me, your reply is the best so far. I use an '02 Honda CRV
I'll go with you on

1. Regular oil change either with months or Millage, for me I use two months Or 2000 Miles.

I use Forte Oil super V or Viscos 2000 25W50 reason being that
1. I was told (as usual) that it leaves engines cleaner with less sludge when compared to other lubricants. I am yet to confirm that but plan to interview different Mechanic.
2. Due to the economic crunch and the high cost of other lubricants.

As at now my car is doing good, my major problem with my car is high fuel consumption which I think is from
1. My AFM
2. O2 sensors
3. Or cold engine due to the thermostat I removed
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by SomoriiN: 6:45pm On May 25, 2020
Hmm

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by dicksonadams(m): 7:28pm On May 25, 2020
kormene:
To me, your reply is the best so far. I use an '02 Honda CRV
I'll go with you on

1. Regular oil change either with months or Millage, for me I use two months Or 2000 Miles.

I use Forte Oil super V or Viscos 2000 25W50 reason being that
1. I was told (as usual) that it leaves engines cleaner with less sludge when compared to other lubricants. I am yet to confirm that but plan to interview different Mechanic.
2. Due to the economic crunch and the high cost of other lubricants.

As at now my car is doing good, my major problem with my car is high fuel consumption which I think is from
1. My AFM
2. O2 sensors
3. Or cold engine due to the thermostat I removed

Na waoh you even remove your thermostat... Why una no dey follow manufacturers manual na only God know... It is well

2 Likes

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Originalsly: 8:10pm On May 25, 2020
Costee:

Why not use 20/50 oil on your car? .... and what's the difference in cars used in Nigeria and if used in the US?...I can't see the logic.... I'm here to learn.

@ topic

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by SomoriiN: 10:10pm On May 25, 2020
dicksonadams:

Na waoh you even remove your thermostat... Why una no dey follow manufacturers manual na only God know... It is well

My hands no dey
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Zane2point4(m): 5:26am On May 26, 2020
seriousthing:
All this are nothing but story. Engine has a life span and no matter the oil u use, when it is time to packup it will. D recommended oil for for Toyota 3sfe engine is 10w40 but each time I use the oil, starting up in the afternoon was usually a problem. so I went back to oando oleum SL which is mineral oil with 20w50. I have used it for 4 years and up till now, steam comes up each time I start the car in the morning.
I dont know why people discourage fellow car users from using 20w50,i use 5w30,but all my frnds use 20w50 for almost 5yrs now,and hvnt complained abt any engine problem,even there car runs smoother.
If you have the money use synthetic,if u dont hv use mineral oil shekinna.
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by dicksonadams(m): 8:01am On May 26, 2020
Zane2point4:

I dont know why people discourage fellow car users from using 20w50,i use 5w30,but all my frnds use 20w50 for almost 5yrs now,and hvnt complained abt any engine problem,even there car runs smoother.
If you have the money use synthetic,if u dont hv use mineral oil shekinna.
Whether synthetic or mineral... Please use the oil grade recommended for your car... I use advice of expert like nurey and gazzuzz beg you

1 Like

Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by marzom: 8:08pm On May 26, 2020
From my personal experience using 20w-50 I.e Mobil 1000 xhp on my 2005 camry since 2013, the oil weight is ok, as long as u maintain regular oil change every 3-4months or every 3000km. I have also done this for my wife's 2003 Highlander since 2018. Also don't be deceived by the semi-synthetic oil bullshit oil is either Natural/Heavy or Full Synthetic/Artificial created. Also old cars from 2009 back require heavy oil. Do your empirical research u will come to this same conclusion over time. The only benefit I see with the Artificial grade ones is that the last longer in the engine due to the artificial additives but are more expensive.
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by LordTerix: 10:42pm On May 27, 2020
oshiosense:

Bros, follow wetin your owners manual talk. No allow one kazeem push your egungun enter express grin
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Praxtech: 6:50am On May 28, 2020
oluwaseunla:

Taaah 20W 50 izzit. No dulling
Re: Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil? by Praxtech: 6:50am On May 28, 2020
marzom:
From my personal experience using 20w-50 I.e Mobil 1000 xhp on my 2005 camry since 2013, the oil weight is ok, as long as u maintain regular oil change every 3-4months or every 3000km. I have also done this for my wife's 2003 Highlander since 2018. Also don't be deceived by the semi-synthetic oil bullshit oil is either Natural/Heavy or Full Synthetic/Artificial created. Also old cars from 2009 back require heavy oil. Do your empirical research u will come to this same conclusion over time. The only benefit I see with the Artificial grade ones is that the last longer in the engine due to the artificial additives but are more expensive.

Finish and klaar

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa / Toyota 4runner 2007(1GR-FE) Fix / 5 Best Cars For Uber Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.