Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,781 members, 7,827,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) (81783 Views)

Woman Finds Strange Snake-like Creature In Her Garden / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / What Is The Name Of This Creature ? Is It A Baby Snake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firestar(f): 8:29pm On Mar 26, 2015
logica:
They are NOT felines. They are NOT related to jaguar (so not cousins).

Puh-leeeese.

Have you actually seen a civet or an ocelot before? I mean live? Like actually hold or cradle it? I have.

The banded tails, the coloration... and the smell...
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by logica(m): 8:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
Genets are inquisitive but cautious animals and are easily startled. They can be held and petted, but for the most part do not like to be restrained. They are very clean pets, generally consistent in their use of litter boxes.

Genets can be socialized to exist peacefully with other pets, such as cats and dogs, but they will attack small animal pets. Kruzer, the veterinary technician, amplifies on this: "Genets are not cuddly pets. They are nocturnal and don't do well in groups of genets but usually will get along with dogs and cats if they have grown up with them. Smaller pets, like hamsters, will quickly become food to a genet."[27]

Owners and experts strongly warn against giving a pet genet away. Jennifer Orchard, a writer of articles on adopting exotic pets, says, "Once bonded, genets must remain with their original owner. Much like flying squirrels, their attachment to their owner is very deep and they simply cannot adjust to new people. Genets that are given away frequently become neurotic or even revert to a state of complete wildness."[32] Ashley Duncan, another expert on exotics, writes, "Genets are a ONE family pet, there is no such thing as rehoming a pet genet. They will not remain tame with a new family and a new environment. Change in environment and caretakers is very stressful on genets and can also cause self mutilation, cage pacing and behavior changes."[36]
Wow

The common genet is not in danger of becoming extinct, and is listed on the IUCN Red List as of the "least concern".[37] They are plentiful throughout their home range in Africa and Europe.[11] Some minor threats include: hunting for food and fur, predator trapping for hunting management, and habitat destruction and fragmentation due to urbanization and tourism.[37] However, none of these threats are thought to be causes for major concern. Although the common genet is not endangered, it can act as an indicator of a forest's health.[38]
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by logica(m): 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2015
firestar:

Puh-leeeese.

Have you actually seen a civet or an ocelot before? I mean live? Like actually hold or cradle it? I have.

Sorry o. Zoologists say Civets and Genets are not felines. You can go create your own classification if you so wish. Oh yeah, ocelot is a cat (feline).
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firestar(f): 8:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
logica:
Sorry o. Zoologists say Civets and Genets are not felines. You can go create your own classification if you so wish. Oh yeah, ocelot is a cat (feline).

You validated my point bub.
Feline.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by logica(m): 8:34pm On Mar 26, 2015
firestar:

Feline.
Is it you can't read? I said Ocelot is a feline. Jaguar is a feline. Genet and Civet are NOT felines. Get it?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Kessleek(m): 8:35pm On Mar 26, 2015
firestar:

Puh-leeeese.

Nobody is doubting that, but this is not a feline... Yeah it looks like one and it have a cat-like body but its NOT A FELINE
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Kessleek(m): 8:37pm On Mar 26, 2015
firestar:

Feline.
Genet is of family Viverridae.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by KingTom(m): 9:06pm On Mar 26, 2015
daveP:
animal conservation. The school should be sued. We kinda have this mentality that once the animal/specie is nt common, then it is "Ee pa" you'l hear next.

It may be spiritual, who knows grin
Kolo mentality grin
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by kilLz2(m): 9:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
Like if them see leopard them go wait..

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by emmaginator: 9:44pm On Mar 26, 2015
Well, this is the first time I am hearing about this animal
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firestar(f): 10:00pm On Mar 26, 2015
logica:
Is it you can't read? I said Ocelot is a feline. Jaguar is a feline. Genet and Civet are NOT lfelines. Get it?

Are you done?

That, creature... Is. A. Feline.
What I'm really curious about is why a wild cat like the serval be doing there...

End of. cheesy
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by logica(m): 12:00am On Mar 27, 2015
firestar:

Are you done?

That, creature... Is. A. Feline.
What I'm really curious about is why a wild cat like the serval be doing there...

End of. cheesy

...and that looks like a serval to you? Well, you have a right to be obstinately stvpid. Continue exhibiting your right.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firestar(f): 1:22am On Mar 27, 2015
Immature of you to resort to insults ne, logica?
Now, prove me wrong then.

I thrive on constructive criticism not this.

logica:
...and that looks like a serval to you? Well, you have a right to be obstinately stvpid. Continue exhibiting your right.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Chiman922(m): 1:26am On Mar 27, 2015
19naia:
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..

I think it is a civet from what I see. It is nowhere near an ocelot.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by rabzy: 7:28am On Mar 27, 2015
hauwawu:
they did not have to kill it..........y do nigerians take pleasure in death

Where you there? How do you know they did not have to kill it. So killing an animal which probably endangered somesmall kids means taking pleasure in death. The man that killed it is probably a hero in the neighborhood now.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Kanyol(m): 7:39am On Mar 27, 2015
firetrap:

Brors that's not an ocelot, its a Genet. the ocelot is not found naturally anywhere outside south, north and central America
They have a striking resemblance, no doubts, but genets are much more smaller and have bushy tails. Compare this genet with the original one the Op uploaded

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ayyoshert: 3:18pm On Mar 27, 2015
supereagle:

YORUBA PEOPLE CALL IT" IJAKUMO" Igbo call it Nkita Oha (Bush DoG)
A jackal or Civet in English
That animal is called 'Ogbo' in Yoruba.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by hauwawu(f): 7:42am On Mar 28, 2015
rabzy:

Where you there? How do you know they did not have to kill it. So killing an animal which probably endangered somesmall kids means taking pleasure in death. The man that killed it is probably a hero in the neighborhood now.
this thing has a cats nature....it will probably hide from all the people hunting it and the had to drag it out of the bush where it was hiding and kill it......I'm very sure
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SHOCK7(m): 8:18pm On Mar 28, 2015
Activa:

What would u do if u saw an animal like this in a residential area?
try & capture it alive & sell 2 a zoo.Make at least 6 figures!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 28, 2015
SHOCK7:

try & capture it alive & sell 2 a zoo.Make at least 6 figures!

You're funny grin grin grin

How only you wan take capture a wild animal?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SHOCK7(m): 8:58pm On Mar 28, 2015
Activa:

You're funny grin grin grin

How only you wan take capture a wild animal?
if u can't capture just take pics & let d rare animal go 4 Christ-sake,DON'T KILL IT!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 28, 2015
SHOCK7:

if u can't capture just take pics & let d rare animal go 4 Christ-sake,DON'T KILL IT!

My brother, if u see a wild animal in your house you no go kill am?

Let's be practical.

Even in d developed world, d safety of human beings is more than the preservation of animals
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SHOCK7(m): 2:52am On Mar 29, 2015
Activa:

My brother, if u see a wild animal in your house you no go kill am?

Let's be practical.

Even in d developed world, d safety of human beings is more than the preservation of animals
Correction-it was found in their house but around d schools compound which was most likely not fenced!In d developed world Only if d animal is a threat 2 humans b4 it's put down,which is far from d case here.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by owobumars: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2015
Do u know u can get chep data pans from p.tech communications
mtn, and glo
1gb @800
2gb @ 1500
Etisalat and aitel
500mb @ 500
1gb @800
2gb @ 1500
All Valid for 30days
call chris on 08109910475
BBM 55BD07F3 . Larger sizes available
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Baroba(m): 2:48am On Mar 31, 2015
SHOCK7:

Correction-it was found in their house but around d schools compound which was most likely not fenced!In d developed world Only if d animal is a threat 2 humans b4 it's put down,which is far from d case here.

Even the ones that are considered threat to humans, are sometimes darted and relocated. Alligators are removed from people's lawns in Florida most of the time.

It's cultural thing, Nigerians don't do conservation.. Simple..

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by homerac7: 7:39pm On Apr 24, 2015
I remembered this thread when I came across the same animal in Obafemi Awolowo University's Museum of Natural History couple of weeks ago. So I took the attached poorly taken-pictures and its name. Hope it helps to finally identify the poor animal.

Name (English): Chivet
Yoruba:
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by homerac7: 7:43pm On Apr 24, 2015
I remembered this thread when I came across the same animal in Obafemi Awolowo University's Museum of Natural History couple of weeks ago. So I took the attached poorly taken-pictures and its name. Hope it helps to finally identify the poor animal.

Apologies for the poor pix quality. Bigger apologies to OAU Museum of Natural History for unauthorized photographing and publishing.

Name (English): Civet (Viverra Civetta)
Yoruba: Eta
Igbo: Edi
Hausa: Jiboda (?)

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by centrocenic: 10:51pm On Apr 28, 2015
..what has happened has happened
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by billyG(m): 12:41am On May 15, 2015
19naia:
CIVETS They are somewhat omnivores, they will eat meat,insects and also fruits and vegetables... Maybe they were hungry trying to eat some Yam or rice cookng nearby.. There is one called a palm civet.. Maybe there is palm oil plantation near by and they are there feeding on palm oil fruit or other type of plam tree fruits?
If its Surulere jubilee model school, then it looks like they followed the canals water way from the bush areas and then crossed the expressway into the school area because there is open space safe haven from the bustling city... Nothing there for them to eat except people's rubbish, insects, lizards and rats...

They can live the same life of a cat and even more.. They are nocturnal and so they do all their movements at night when the area is not so busy with traffic keeping them from crossing the expressways through the city... Thats why they are rarely seen, they move at night and easliy mistaken for a house cat in the dark shadows.. They climb anything very well...
In North america we have the Racoon, it would be in the same distant relative category, simlar to a cat but not the same species.. They have Civets in Asia and they sell a type of costly coffee in Vietnam,called Civet coffee.. The civets eat the coffee berries and excrete the seeds whole and intact, then the coffee makers take the excrement of whole coffee seeds and use them to make highly prized coffee selling for a very expensive price... The digestion by the civets must impart a desirable flavor or super health tonic qualities...?

[url][/url]https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8xHrnxNVW5MAmtHBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTB0MmpkMGczBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1RQUkRRMV8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=ipad&sz=all&va=african+civets
Asian pple no well!

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by AreaFada2: 12:58am On May 15, 2015
Shame.

Rare cat.

Seems of civet family.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by topsyking: 11:47am On Nov 25, 2015
this senseless killing of african wildlife animal ust stop; the necesary body for the protection of wildlife animal must rise up from their sleep and save the future of nigeria wildlife animal before the most rear ones goes extinct
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Bueze95(m): 9:58am On May 07, 2016
how is dat a leopard like creature?!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / This Onions Farmer Has Made It In Life (Pictured) / Quality Packaging For Your Rice,flour,animal Feeds,garri,fertilizer,cement Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.