Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,653 members, 7,809,476 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

The Yoruba/Igbo Feud - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba/Igbo Feud (2300 Views)

Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 12:42pm On Mar 26, 2015
Can someone tell why people act barbaric and display childish attitudes on here? Our ancestors failed by creating a divide between us, our great grandfathers failed by further propagating this divide. Our grandfathers towed in the same line as our great grandfathers and so did our fathers.

Now judging from our rate of exposure, one would think we would emerge better than our fathers, grandfathers, etc. Alas, we're actually worse. Little wonder our politicians use this weapon against us.

THE IGBOS

The Igbos are always quick to claim marginalized. We believe every woes that befalls the Igbos are either caused by the Yorubas or the Hausa/Fulani. We sometimes fail to ask ourselves:
- how much have we patronized our cultures in order to be able to achieve what we want to achieve?
- how much do we hang on to or cling to the cultures of the western world?
- is English language now our mother tongue?
- how much of our cultures have we exported or displayed to the outside/western world? Etc.
The Igbos always say that the Yorubas are lazy, loud mouthed and cowardly but I still see wealthy Yoruba people out there. The Igbos go as far as deceiving themselves that a Yoruba land equally belongs to them just because they purchased and developed landed properties. They have forgotten that the government can revoke the ownership of a land if it wants to put it to use (especially at the expiration of its C of O).

THE YORUBAS

The Yorubas are always quick to ascribe crime to the Igbos. Even as of the time ritual dens were discovered in some of the Yoruba states, they comforted themselves by saying that the Igbos imported ritual practices into the Yoruba land. They actually forgot that from the onset, Yoruba movies has always portrayed ritual practices as a core aspect of their cultures. There was a time that over 95% of Yoruba movies showed one or two ritual practices. Although this trend has reduced of recent, but let's not forget that the kind of movies we make says a lot about us.

The Yorubas are always quick to claim "One Nigeria" when an Igbo man achieves worldwide success/fit but are always quick to condemn all Igbos when an Igbo man commits a crime. They always claim that Igbos are undereducated and undiplomatic. However if slavering around one man means being diplomatic, then I think that word shouldn't be a word of virtue.

CONCLUSION

The day we start acting matured and civilized in Nigeria, the day we kill all bigotry and tribal bias we inherited from our damned ancestors, the day we stop seeing our religion superior to others, the day we say no to sectional politicking, is the day we will regain our senses and Nigeria will move forward, else backward we keep moving..

PS: Am expecting bashing from all corners (both from Igbos and Yorubas).

**Modified**

Like I said in one tribalistic thread created by someone not long ago, left for me, threads intending to belittle a tribe should only get a silence treatment in order to intensify the boredom the poster was feeling before his/her careless post.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by Dathommie(m): 12:54pm On Mar 26, 2015
Hehehe

U just wan start war abi??

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by Mortiple(m): 1:16pm On Mar 26, 2015
You may be right to say that both ethnic groups have negative impression about each which I would not want to call a FEUD.

The so called FEUD between Ndigbo and Yoruba people exist majorly on Nairaland. Outside this forum, people from both nations have mutual respect for one another. For avoidance of doubt, when last did you hear about communal clash between Yorubas and Igbos? It is even rare to come by a fight between a Yoruba and Igbo person.

Permit me to say that topics like this are responsible for such imaginary feud.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 1:25pm On Mar 26, 2015
I can't remember a fight between a Yoruba man and Igbo man offline. But there are pockets of shouting session between the two often, at which the Igbos around says 'apia' and the Yoruba, 'otito'.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 1:28pm On Mar 26, 2015
Mortiple:
You may be right to say that both ethnic groups have negative impression about each which I would not want to call a FEUD.

The so called FEUD between Ndigbo and Yoruba people exist majorly on Nairaland. Outside this forum, people from both nations have mutual respect for one another. For avoidance of doubt, when last did you hear about communal clash between Yorubas and Igbos? It is even rare to come by a fight between a Yoruba and Igbo person.

I don't agree with you. The topic is meant to show the children dissing on here that they are actually not putting their brains to useful work..
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
Preach on brother!!!!!!
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 1:37pm On Mar 26, 2015
softysparky:
Preach on brother!!!!!!

Mosdeff sis of life.. wink
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by bigfrancis21: 6:06am On Mar 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I can't remember a fight between a Yoruba man and Igbo man offline. But there are pockets of shouting session between the two often, at which the Igbos around says 'apia' and the Yoruba, 'otito'.

@bold...it is 'hapu ya' actually (leave him). Interestingly, 'otito' is the Yoruba equivalent of 'ozugo' in Igbo.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 6:24am On Mar 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@bold...it is 'hapu ya' actually (leave him). Interestingly, 'otito' is the Yoruba equivalent of 'ozugo' in Igbo.
There was a time 'apia' was trending among the youth and transporters in Lagos. It was then a slang meaning 'file' leave it alone, 'leave am for am' Does 'Ozugo' mean that's 'enof'? cos Otito (that's okay, that's enof) can be mistaking for Otitor (ooto: truth). How about Ozigbo-zugbo and Ezigbodia? Analyze pls.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
There was a time 'apia' was trending among the youth and transporters in Lagos. It was then a slang meaning 'file' leave it alone, 'leave am for am' Does 'Ozugo' mean that's 'enof'? cos Otito (that's okay, that's enof) can be mistaking for Otitor (ooto: truth). How about Ozigbo-zugbo and Ezigbodia? Analyze pls.

Ozugbo means quick/fast. When you double the Ozugbo it actually stresses the quick/fast. Like fast fast.

Ezigbo = good
Di = husband
Ya= her (since di is for husband, but if a woman/wife is referred to then ya will mean him)

Ezigbo di ya = Her good husband
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 7:40am On Mar 27, 2015
francizy:

Ozugbo means quick/fast. When you double the Ozugbo it actually stresses the quick/fast. Like fast fast.

Ezigbo = good
Di = husband
Ya= her (since di is for husband, but if a woman/wife is referred to then ya will mean him)

Ezigbo di ya = Her good husband
Hm, I appreciate the semantic analysis @bigfrancis. I think you have ambiguous tenses there or maybe my pronunciation is terrible for the phrase in question. My 'Ezigbodia' is as in 'what is the best price?'. What do you think?
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 7:47am On Mar 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Hm, I appreciate the semantic analysis @bigfrancis. I think you have ambiguous tenses there or maybe my pronunciation is terrible for the phrase in question. My 'Ezigbodia' is as in 'what is the best price?'. What do you think?

Onu = mouth/price

Ezigbo = good/best

Ya = it

Ezigbo onu ya = best price for it

Kedu ezigbo onu ya = what is it's best price?
It here represents the article you intend buying..
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 8:10am On Mar 27, 2015
francizy:

Onu = mouth/price

Ezigbo = good/best

Ya = it

Ezigbo onu ya = best price for it

Kedu ezigbo onu ya = what is it's best price?
It here represents the article you intend buying..
Beautiful, thats what I'm driving at. The 'Onu' was overide by my familiarity with Odia. I think our individual or default sound preferences always interfere in learning or hearing a word as used by native speakers. We all have fancy word in other people's language that we often like to share. At times you have to shout many times to get a friend or anyone from other tribe to say a word perfectly in your language. Its baffling.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by bigfrancis21: 2:09pm On Mar 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

I'm telling you that it is not 'apia' but 'hapu ya'. You are mispronouncing the word and dropping the 'h' sound in front, characteristic of yoruba speakers when they pronounce words like 'have', 'head', 'hand' etc. No Igbo person says 'apia'. It is actually funny because I am just seeing that for the first time. Next time, please listen carefully.

Ozigbo ozigbo means immediately immediately. Mee ya ozigbo ozigbo - do it immediately immediately.

Ezigbodia...My guess is that you mean 'nke ezigbo dia' which means 'original one dey'. 'ezigbo' means 'original', 'pure', 'best' etc whichever way you want to see it. Customers would usually ask for 'nke ezigbo' (original one) when buying stuffs in the market because there are fake ones around too.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 2:47pm On Mar 27, 2015
Hehehehehehe, I like this..

Bigfrancis21 (my namesake) and Absolutesuccess don turn my thread to Igbo lecture thread..

Kudos brothers..
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 6:09pm On Mar 27, 2015
francizy:
Hehehehehehe, I like this..

Bigfrancis21 (my namesake) and Absolutesuccess don turn my thread to Igbo lecture thread..

Kudos brothers..
Bigfrancis, ah whatappin na? Temperamental teacher, I've already taken in your instruction at the first instance na. grin Francizy, I love my Igbo peeps, and Igbo swag on the Island, blessed Igbo folks boku. @bigfrancis!!! Ndi nzigba biala. cheesy.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:40pm On Mar 27, 2015
Some bitter truth here include; (1)Rarely there's any detribalized Nigerian... not yesterday, not now and most likely not tomorrow... (2)By nature, animals including man is attracted to its kind...Hence, you are pushed to strike up relationship easily with someone from your side...(3)Seed of tribalism has gone so deep into the fabrics of Nigerian politics and history that only divine intervention can change this...(4)You noticed it more between Igbo and Yoruba because northerners aren't common to come by in this forum...otherwise the feud cuts across all tribes in Nigeria...(5)Only maturity can curtail tribalism but cannot eliminate it...(6)Knowledge of our history will always remind us and ignite some bitter feelings against the other, taking note of roles played by their ancestors who are the face of such tribe...

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:47pm On Mar 27, 2015
Another big lie here is that this feud ends here...Not true...It is also common outside this forum...It must necessarily be expressed through conventional wars but already a psychological war is on both online and offline...People only pretend it doesn't exist but it does but being managed...

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 6:58pm On Mar 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Bigfrancis, ah whatappin na? Temperamental teacher, I've already taken in your instruction at the first instance na. grin Francizy, I love my Igbo peeps, and Igbo swag on the Island, blessed Igbo folks boku. @bigfrancis!!! Ndi nzigba biala. cheesy.

We love you too.. smiley
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by francizy(m): 7:49pm On Mar 27, 2015
Whynotthetruth:
Another big lie here is that this feud ends here...Not true...It is also common outside this forum...It must necessarily be expressed through conventional wars but already a psychological war is on both online and offline...People only pretend it doesn't exist but it does but being managed...

Of course it's pretty clear the beef goes beyond online feud.. It's more like a little bit concealed in real life but places like this gives people the opportunity to expose their biased nature.

I didn't mention Fulani/Hausa because I know their bigotry is to the extreme and religion is like a fuel that ignites theirs further. Theirs is out of the question since they are less tolerant of people from other tribes or religion. My focus is one Igbos and Yorubas.

My issue here is, Yorubas and Igbos have lived together for so long even with their differences. Apart from the little issues between both tribes, they have coexisted without any major battle between them since the Civil war, so they should have learnt to tolerate each other better.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2015
francizy:

Of course it's pretty clear the beef goes beyond online feud.. It's more like a little bit concealed in real life but places like this gives people the opportunity to expose their biased nature.
I didn't mention Fulani/Hausa because I know their bigotry is to the extreme and religion is like a fuel that ignites theirs further. Theirs is out of the question since they are less tolerant of people from other tribes or religion. My focus is one Igbos and Yorubas.
My issue here is, Yorubas and Igbos have lived together for so long even with their differences. Apart from the little issues between both tribes, they have coexisted without any major battle between them since the Civil war, so they should have learnt to tolerate each other better.

Another bitter truth here is this; Yorubas have the Igbo among them not because they love the latter but because they have no option... Igbo man with his enterprising spirit just like smoke can't be caged or entirely put out or his itinerary limited....Example: even with all the boko haram in the north, Gov Daekwambo of gombe state pleaded with the Igbo not to run away during election as they constitute the backbone of Gombe state economy... On this note, they need Igbo man with his enterprising and industrial acumen to help the economy not because they love him but circumstance has forced them to hence they can't afford otherwise...This scenario is applicable in every state where the Igbo hold sway like kano where even the recent Kwankwasiya estate was subscribers were more of Igbo notwithstanding other parts of the state where they occupy in numbers; Yoruba land inclusive too...

BTW under Tinubu, there was serious battle where he used OPC to decimate lots of Igbo and other non indigenes especially in Ajegunle exis...so this hatred is real and its end isn't in view yet....

modified

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by bigfrancis21: 8:35pm On Mar 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

grin

I'm not temperamental!

For a moment I thought you were trying to teach me Igbo. shocked grin

You're good. I see you're learning Igbo. Making good progress already. Jisike! (Keep it up!)
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 10:27pm On Mar 27, 2015
francizy:

We love you too.. smiley
We are one people, our differences are meant to be sectional strenght. Gatiano knows the time of our creation and can tell us more.
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by absoluteSuccess: 10:37pm On Mar 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

grin

I'm not temperamental!

For a moment I thought you were trying to teach me Igbo. shocked grin

You're good. I see you're learning Igbo. Making good progress already. Jisike! (Keep it up!)
I'm making little little progress, Nwanne. grin
Re: The Yoruba/Igbo Feud by haryomikun(m): 10:37am On May 22, 2016
Mortiple:

You hit the nail directly on the head sir

(1) (Reply)

Are Witches, Ghosts And Wizards Real And What Is Their Earthly Purpose Or Goal? / The Best African Artist! / Remembering Primary And Secondary School In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.