Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers (46710 Views)

Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers / 16 Difficult Interview Questions And Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by CVWizards(m): 7:50am On Apr 02, 2015
1. Interview Question: Tell us about Yourself.

Tip: If you’re attending an interview, here’s one question you can’t escape. and it usually comes first. The formula to getting the answer right is to start from where you currently are, then delve backwards a little bit about the experience you’ve garnered at your previous roles. And round off with the future – why you’re really excited about this opportunity.

Answer: “I’m currently an Accounts Officer at GTBank, where I manage the accounts of some of the bank’s top customers. Before that, I worked at KPMG as a graduate trainee for 2 years. My experience there really enhanced my analytical and problem solving skills. I’ll love the chance to advance my career in the Oil and Gas Sector, which is why I’m so excited about this opportunity with the Petroleum Training Institute.”

2. Interview Question: What do you know about this organization?

Tip: This question is one reason to do some research on the organization before the interview. As soon as you’re invited for an interview, it is expected of you to find out as much information you can about the company. Find out where they have been and where they are going. What are the current issues and who are the major players (The Founders/ Owners), when was the company established, what services or goods do they produce, where is their head office, branches located, what is their mission statement, vision?

Answer: “The Petroleum Training Institute is a federal government owned tertiary institution established in 1973 to train indigenous middle-level manpower to meet the labour force requirement of the Nigerian oil and gas industry. The motto of the institution is “For skill, service and progress” and the current principal is Mr. Joseph Orukele.

3. Interview Question: Why do you want to work here?

Tip: To answer this question correctly, you need to do a little research on the company so that you can identify specific reasons why you want to work with the organization, and most importantly, be able to defend whatever reason you state, should the interviewer ask you to explain further. These reasons could be one or more of the following: The company’s pedigree, the reputation of its founders, admiration of its offerings (goods or services), company’s management philosophy, company’s recognition and awards received, core values, company’s market position and prospects.

Answer: “Well, the Zenith Bank’s pedigree is certainly one to be reckoned with. I would be proud to work for a company with such a long history of leadership in the industry.”

4. Interview Question: What experience do you have in this field?

Tip: Speak about what you’ve done in the past or what you do in your present job that is related to the position you are applying for. Here you can also include free services you rendered to religious or social organizations, friends and relations. If you do not have any specific experience, get as close as possible.

Answer: “From the job description, you’re looking for an individual who can take proper charge of your financial records. You also need someone who is computer literate and proficient with accounting packages. In my previous role as an Accountant with PZ Industries, I was responsible for maintaining the books of accounts of the company. I prepared the final accounts, balance sheets, profit and loss account, cash flow statement, and other management accounts without supervision. I did these and other related accounting tasks for over a period of 4 years using various accounting software including Peachtree and QuickBooks.”

5. Interview Question: Why should we hire you?

Tip: Don’t be scared to tell the interviewer that you are the best person for the job, but be prepared to back your claim up with what specifically differentiates you.

Answer: “You should hire me because I’m the best person for the job. Although there may be other candidates who also have what it takes to get the job done. Yet I bring an additional quality which makes me the best person for the job – my passion for excellence. I am passionately committed to producing results in all my endeavors. For example, in 2008 when I was given a target to generate 100 million naira deposit from customers, because of the passion I had for my job, I was the only one in my team who achieved the target.”

6. Interview Question: How did you hear about the vacancy?

Tip: No beating about the bush. Go ahead and state the source. If you found out about the opening through a friend or a relative, don’t hesitate to drop the name. Back it up by stating why you were so excited about the vacancy. Make your answer short.

Answer: “I heard about the opening through Bidemi, a childhood friend, but since my undergraduate days, I’ve always had the dream of working with your company.”

Read more at: http://cvwizards.com.ng/18-common-interview-questions-tips-answers/

38 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by eluquenson(m): 7:54am On Apr 02, 2015
Interesting and informative...kudos for the reminder.

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by langfeng: 7:56am On Apr 02, 2015
good topics!
i want to find a good job in Nairaland,
Please help me!
thanks!

lantiandz@vip.sina.com
chinalanfeng@vip.sina.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by CVWizards(m): 11:16am On Apr 02, 2015
Thanks.
eluquenson:
Interesting and informative...kudos for the reminder.
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by CVWizards(m): 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2015
langfeng:
good topics!
i want to find a good job in Nairaland,
Please help me!
thanks!

lantiandz@vip.sina.com
chinalanfeng@vip.sina.com

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by citizenjuwon(m): 5:56pm On Apr 02, 2015
Apt!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by CVWizards(m): 7:46pm On Apr 02, 2015
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by ogaprime(m): 10:48am On Jul 29, 2015
CVWizards:
1. Interview Question: Tell us about Yourself.

Tip: If you’re attending an interview, here’s one question you can’t escape. and it usually comes first. The formula to getting the answer right is to start from where you currently are, then delve backwards a little bit about the experience you’ve garnered at your previous roles. And round off with the future – why you’re really excited about this opportunity.

Answer: “I’m currently an Accounts Officer at GTBank, where I manage the accounts of some of the bank’s top customers. Before that, I worked at KPMG as a graduate trainee for 2 years. My experience there really enhanced my analytical and problem solving skills. I’ll love the chance to advance my career in the Oil and Gas Sector, which is why I’m so excited about this opportunity with the Petroleum Training Institute.”

2. Interview Question: What do you know about this organization?

Tip: This question is one reason to do some research on the organization before the interview. As soon as you’re invited for an interview, it is expected of you to find out as much information you can about the company. Find out where they have been and where they are going. What are the current issues and who are the major players (The Founders/ Owners), when was the company established, what services or goods do they produce, where is their head office, branches located, what is their mission statement, vision?

Answer: “The Petroleum Training Institute is a federal government owned tertiary institution established in 1973 to train indigenous middle-level manpower to meet the labour force requirement of the Nigerian oil and gas industry. The motto of the institution is “For skill, service and progress” and the current principal is Mr. Joseph Orukele.

3. Interview Question: Why do you want to work here?

Tip: To answer this question correctly, you need to do a little research on the company so that you can identify specific reasons why you want to work with the organization, and most importantly, be able to defend whatever reason you state, should the interviewer ask you to explain further. These reasons could be one or more of the following: The company’s pedigree, the reputation of its founders, admiration of its offerings (goods or services), company’s management philosophy, company’s recognition and awards received, core values, company’s market position and prospects.

Answer: “Well, the Zenith Bank’s pedigree is certainly one to be reckoned with. I would be proud to work for a company with such a long history of leadership in the industry.”

4. Interview Question: What experience do you have in this field?

Tip: Speak about what you’ve done in the past or what you do in your present job that is related to the position you are applying for. Here you can also include free services you rendered to religious or social organizations, friends and relations. If you do not have any specific experience, get as close as possible.

Answer: “From the job description, you’re looking for an individual who can take proper charge of your financial records. You also need someone who is computer literate and proficient with accounting packages. In my previous role as an Accountant with PZ Industries, I was responsible for maintaining the books of accounts of the company. I prepared the final accounts, balance sheets, profit and loss account, cash flow statement, and other management accounts without supervision. I did these and other related accounting tasks for over a period of 4 years using various accounting software including Peachtree and QuickBooks.”

5. Interview Question: Why should we hire you?

Tip: Don’t be scared to tell the interviewer that you are the best person for the job, but be prepared to back your claim up with what specifically differentiates you.

Answer: “You should hire me because I’m the best person for the job. Although there may be other candidates who also have what it takes to get the job done. Yet I bring an additional quality which makes me the best person for the job – my passion for excellence. I am passionately committed to producing results in all my endeavors. For example, in 2008 when I was given a target to generate 100 million naira deposit from customers, because of the passion I had for my job, I was the only one in my team who achieved the target.”

6. Interview Question: How did you hear about the vacancy?

Tip: No beating about the bush. Go ahead and state the source. If you found out about the opening through a friend or a relative, don’t hesitate to drop the name. Back it up by stating why you were so excited about the vacancy. Make your answer short.

Answer: “I heard about the opening through Bidemi, a childhood friend, but since my undergraduate days, I’ve always had the dream of working with your company.”

Read more at: http://cvwizards.com.ng/18-common-interview-questions-tips-answers/

Alright...

What about for fresh graduates or entry level job interviews

Thanks...

9 Likes

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Hamstrong001(m): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Others
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by seyidollar4real: 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2015
Nice one there
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by austinepetro: 1:48pm On May 23, 2016
this are 54 best common interviews ask by many Nigeria company including banks i believe if you go true this work is sure for you my bro/sis click to view the 54 question and answers [url][/url]http://showcase9ja.com/2016/05/23/54-best-interview-question-and-answers-dont-miss-out/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Jobsdome: 6:46am On May 24, 2016
good tips
Check out new Job openings at www.tipsdome.com/category/jobs
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by SPG4U(m): 6:51am On May 24, 2016
For job seekers...
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Stanbeto: 6:53am On May 24, 2016
Interview Tips
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by joey150(m): 6:53am On May 24, 2016
If i was recruiting, I'll be bored hearing graduates speak like robots and give the same style of answer.

Be original,be real amd most importantly show confidence.
And whats yours..will be yours.

A friend of mine got a mega job,simply because he was the only differnet thinking person amongst the whole of them interviewed.

Nice tips though.

5 Likes

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by bakarekunle(m): 6:56am On May 24, 2016
Hmm
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Lordmykel(m): 6:56am On May 24, 2016
We dont have jobs, vacancy posters are now very rare yet interview questions dominates NL's frontpage.

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by pelhurmy(m): 7:00am On May 24, 2016
Nice one......
Thanks for re-sensitizing me
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Afrok(m): 7:02am On May 24, 2016
ogaprime:

Alright...

What about for fresh graduates or entry level job interviews

Thanks...
boss u just typed this question from my mind, waiting patiently for the answers though.
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by pelhurmy(m): 7:05am On May 24, 2016
joey150:
If i was recruiting, I'll be bored hearing graduates speak like robots and give the same style of answer.

Be original,be real amd most importantly show confidence.
And whats yours..will be yours.

A friend of mine got a mega job,simply because he was the only differnet thinking person amongst the whole of them interviewed.

Nice tips though.
Datz true but I bliv dey are just tips to guide one. Only a daft fellow will cram doz lines.

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Achorise: 7:06am On May 24, 2016
Most people granting interviews to applicant didn't pass through this hurdles.

When your time comes, You will be employed with little or no interview.
Destiny helper is all you need and good information.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by millhouse: 7:06am On May 24, 2016
Good
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Samexdx(m): 7:07am On May 24, 2016
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Imind: 7:07am On May 24, 2016
Thanks for ur good work,,God bless u
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by vickylala239: 7:11am On May 24, 2016
Okk
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by ogaprime(m): 7:18am On May 24, 2016
Afrok:
boss u just typed this question from my mind, waiting patiently for the answers though.

Na since last year oo, please feel free to come and join me in waiting...
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Benjom(m): 7:23am On May 24, 2016
Good one
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by engrMikemd(m): 7:23am On May 24, 2016
Might be useful for someone someday
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by engrMikemd(m): 7:25am On May 24, 2016
Op u said 18 whr are the rest?

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by abumeinben(m): 7:28am On May 24, 2016
Cool...
And I align my faith with this tips as I believe and confess that I'll soon get an interview invite unto greatness.

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by Adagba01: 7:29am On May 24, 2016
Great efforts...keep it up!!!
Re: 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers by wunmi590(m): 7:29am On May 24, 2016
Nice one OP, but above all we still have to put God first.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Job Offer: Stanbic IBTC Bank 2021 Graduate Trainee Program / Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK / Qi Group Of Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.