Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,988 members, 7,814,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. (833 Views)

20,000 Register For Jamb’s UTME In Two Days / Jamb Released The Cbt Accredited Centre / UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. by knaa: 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2015
Good afternoon.

I am a concerned Nigerian citizen who has some observations to make.

firstly I want to commend this board for the advancements made so far in our educational sector.
However I have some issues with the newly developed CBT system introduced.
Inasmuch as we as Nigerians want to promote a technologically driven society I think its too premature for us to impose such system on the teeming Nigerian teenagers who have little or no knowledge about computer based tests.
many public schools in Nigeria today are yet to provide their students with the basic knowledge of computers so asking graduates of such schools to write exams with computers that they are not used to is an exercise in futility as this will drastically hinder their excellence. As a medical doctor, I am a product of these public schools and I was not computer literate till I became an undergraduate and I know for certain that this is still the case of many schools in Nigeria. therefore asking this students to undertake a compulsory CBT will automatically deprive them of university education.

furthermore these poor students are further exploited by being asked to pay extra sums for CBT training. most parents don't have enough money for this and I don't think as a govt agency its your aim to deprive intelligent and hardworking students of their education based on the fact that they are poor and didn't attend private schools that have computers and thus are unable to compete with their peers. this is a failure of the Nigerian state and these poor students shouldn't be at the receiving end.

Also, CBT exams does not provide a level playing ground for examinations as students sitting for the same course on different days answer different questions but are expected to pass the same cut offs marks and gain admission into the same school. its only rational that everyone should be subjected to the same level playing ground.

in more advanced climes CBT was only introduced when every one was fully equipped with knowledge of it and it was readily available. today students have to leave their homes as early as 4:30 in order to make it to the CBT centre on time. most of them end up as victims of rape and robbery (many stories of this abound ).

THE FACT IS THAT THE NIGERIAN STATE IS NOT READY FOR THE CBT UTME EXAMS THAT HAS MILLIONS OF APPLICANTS EVERY YEAR.

please as a concerned citizen I think JAMB should review this process with a view to striking it out and reverting to the old method of writing exams which has produced a lot of brains in Nigeria today.
Re: A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. by knaa: 12:29pm On Apr 02, 2015
this was a letter sent to jamb. what's ur view about this issue?
Re: A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 02, 2015
Re: A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. by knaa: 1:31pm On Apr 02, 2015
Dnarvaez:
Op you deserve a cheerful applauding.
https://www.nairaland.com/2200549/thread-jambites-wrote-exam-march

thanks. I think we have to speak up against this. its not right.
Re: A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 02, 2015
knaa:

thanks. I think we have to speak up against this. its not right.
yeah i thought as much
Re: A Review Of The CBT UTME In Nigeria By A Concerned Citizen. by dancy4: 7:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
I am against the JAMB CBT . I believe it will encourage malpractice as we don't have a good mechanism to effect the process without problems

(1) (Reply)

When Is Auchi Polytechnic 2015 Post UTME / Student Protest @ Ui Live Pics / Neco 2015 Chemistry Answers Ready

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.