Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant (3295 Views)

Girl Posts About Beauty Pageant In Okigwe On Facebook And Got Blasted / Kathy Onwu Is Miss Africa USA 2013 / Chioma Omeniho Needs Your Votes To Win Miss Africa US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by lipuka(m): 4:50pm On Jan 25, 2009
The Face of Nigeria beauty pageant will be launched in London on the 6th February 2009. This is a wonderful idea, and long overdue, and we must thank my friend ZiNa Morgan and Co. for this. But in my opinion, it should have been done in Nigeria, and not far-off United Kingdom.

I think that it shoulg eventually become the Face of Africa, evolving into the Miss Africa Beaury pageant.

For a long time, African girls have participated in the Miss World, Miss Tourism, Miss Universe and many other. Apart from one or two girls, most have not even made it to the top ten.

There is nothing wrong with African beauty, What is wrong is that the beautiful girls are judged in accordance with European standards. African concept of beauty is not necessarily the same as the West. So a gap of the upper teeth, or a dimple and snub nose are beautiful features on an African girl, but a liability in these beauty contests.

The while girls go to the extent of having operations to change their features or appearance. This is common in India, Venezuela, China, Japan and Korea, among others. The girls undergo operations to straighten the nose, remove a bump here and there, change the eyes as the Chinese do, so as to look more Western and so on.

African girls are at a disadvantage since they do not have the resources to undergo these surgeries. And ofcourse, some of the bumps they have may look beautiful to African people, but are not wanted in these beauty pageants.

No one doubts that Genevieve Nnaji or Omotola are some of the most beautiful women in African today, but they can never win in these contests.

Time has come, for Africa, to organise it's own beauty pageants and get a Miss Africa who truly portrays true African beauty. Such a girl could then be a true ambassador of African beauty. And it would bring dignity to African beauty.

Meanwhile, all the best to the organisers of Face of Nigeria!
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by bawomolo(m): 7:49pm On Jan 25, 2009
what happened to MNET Face of Africa
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by tpiah: 9:38pm On May 13, 2009
African girls are at a disadvantage since they do not have the resources to undergo these surgeries. And ofcourse, some of the bumps they have may look beautiful to African people, but are not wanted in these beauty pageants.

which one is bump abeg.
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by lipuka(m): 8:43am On May 14, 2009
We need a Miss Africa to represent true beauty according to the context of African values. not western
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by freedom21: 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2009
I have been waiting a long time to hear this. indeed there is not 1 beauty pageant that intends to discover a Miss Africa, even if it is an online thing, which is capable of bringing Africans accross the globe together.
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by lipuka(m): 1:23pm On Jun 23, 2009
Thanks. but now we should find someone to take the plunge. Most promoters and organisers would rather do the Western version
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by naphew: 3:05pm On Sep 15, 2009
[color=#006600][/color]
now we are talking! its nice to know that there are some other people in the world how feel the way i feel about having a bueaty pageant by africans meant only for african, to showcase the african/cultural bueaty without westernizing it in any way. if and when you guys are ready to take this talk to the next level of action let me know.
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by africhika(f): 4:45pm On Sep 15, 2009
  quote by lipuka:
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:50 PM »

African girls are at a disadvantage since they do not have the resources to undergo these surgeries. And of course, some of the bumps they have may look beautiful to African people, but are not wanted in these beauty pageants.

clarification.

quote by lipuka:
The while girls go to the extent of having operations to change their features or appearance. This is common in India, Venezuela, China, Japan and Korea, among others. The girls undergo operations to straighten the nose, remove a bump here and there, change the eyes as the Chinese do, so as to look more Western and so on.

great idea. i've heard this idea from several people now. tanzania and ivory coast has something like this. a continental effort would be beautiful.
ivory coast did one for women who don't bleach, Miss Authentica: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8148719.stm
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by naphew: 8:41am On Sep 16, 2009
Africhika, its good you think it is a great idea, the question now is how do we take this great idea to the next level of doing somthing about it. The Miss Authentica in Ivory Coast looks good but am thinking something for All countries in Africa.
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by Gamine(f): 8:45am On Sep 16, 2009
I dont think we need anymore beauty pageants, aarck. undecided
they should invest that money in something viable
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by naphew: 8:54am On Sep 16, 2009
I feel investing in promoting the rich culture of african by africn is something viable,
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by lipuka(m): 7:44am On Sep 17, 2009
Actually I agree with the as pect of promoting African culture. In fact I have indicated that the African beauty pageant would be a vehicle of promoting African culture and beauty the African way, not dictated by African values. The way wer look at beauty in Africa ius different from ther West.
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by naphew: 10:09am On Sep 17, 2009
thank you my brother lipuka, talking about it will not do, we need to act on this. are you intrested in being a part of the organisers of the first Miss Africa.
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by lipuka(m): 11:28am On Sep 17, 2009
I would be very interested, yes. I am familiar with this thing and have some contacts with quite a few people who might be interested within East Africa
Re: Africa Needs A Miss Africa Beauty Pageant by bern95: 6:11pm On Sep 19, 2011
If anyone is still interested in representing your Country I am looking for contestants! I am launching an international division to my pageant! The pageant is for women of all shapes, sizes and ages! (plus size division and divisions for women over 30!) traditional categories exist Teen, Miss, Ms and Mrs.

(1) (Reply)

Which Body Cream Are You Using Now And How Is It? / For Your Skin To Glow And Be Bright , You MUST EXFOLIATE Regularly / SEE How This Big Girl Nakéd Herself In Public For Fashion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.