Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,628 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me (944 Views)

Top 12 Slangs Nigerian Music Has Taught Us / Don't Give Up : Ten Lessons From The Story Of Isaac / “ten Lessons To Learn In 2015”. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by otemanuduno: 12:11am On Apr 06, 2015
I joined Nairaland as an angel who doesn't want to hurt a fly, emotional and doesn't want anyone to hurt his feelings. But having spent more than a year here, all that have changed. Having read many topics, I have become wiser, stronger and with reduced emotions.

Here are the ten things I have learnt from Nairaland:

Don't try to please everyone. Be original
The fact that Nairaland is a faceless forum doesn't mean that their are more fake people here than Facebook. In fact, on Facebook, many people are fake. They all play saints in pretense because of the bouquet of pictures in their timeline, their home addresses, phone numbers and so on that could be easily located. But on Nairaland, people express their real minds without fear or favour.

If you can survive NL insults, you can survive in the real world

You will hardly get insulted on Facebook because everyone is trying to hold his or her head. But here, even if you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, they will come for you and abuse you as if you have a hand in the kidnap of the CHIBOK's girls. Many people deleted their Nairaland accounts because of 'insults at first sight' they got on day one here. But for many of us who survived it, it would be easy to survive insults from anyone in the world.

Don't ever try to be over-nice. Do what you can do and leave the rest

You can't win a single heart here by offering bonanzas. Many people have tried it here on Nairaland, thinking they will be able to take many people to their blogs by so doing. It doesn't work that way. You can't win people's heart by offering recharge cards and money, because as soon as you run out of money, people will unfollow you here. Rather, win their heart by offering your talent- be it joke or stories, etc.

No matter the rubbish you say, someone here will still click like for it.

This might sound strange but it's the truth. The way people see things are different. To you, a particular person seems to be always on point, while to some the person is boring. This also transcend to real life situation. You may hate FFK, but those who likes him are still everywhere around him. You may like GMB but some people never want to hear his name.

Nobody is a perfect grammarian. We are all learning

Here on Nairaland, if you are the type who loves to watch over other people's English to correct them each time they made the slightest error, then be sure you are not safe too. Many eyes will be on you and any time you fall into grammatical error-trap yourself, you are in soup.

Nigerians are very tribalistic and religious conscious

With the event of election unfolding, I have just come to the realisation that tribalism is the order of the day in Nigeria. Mere living in a geopolitical region of Nigeria will not let you know the level of tribalism in this country. I have spent most of my life in the SOUTHWEST and I didn't know that there is a preference for one tribe or ethnic over the other until I entered this aeroplane called Nairaland where I got to know the true state of the land called Nigeria. Infact, River Niger and River Benue are not just there for figurehead. They have really divided this nation big time. You will agree with me that anytime there is a crime news on the front page, people are interested in knowing the names and the tribe of such culprits just to insult his tribe. This is too bad!

If you can handle pressure on Nairaland, then you can handle it anywhere

At first, I am always scared whenever I found out that I have a 'mention', but over time, I intentionally seek after mentions by all means. I laugh happily whenever the mention is a critical and indicting one. The other guy there who quoted you may be seriously angry with your post, but you ain't bothered. Instead you find pleasure in doing it. That's exactly the games politicians in the outside world are playing on us.

Keeps me abreast of information and current affairs.

I have lost interest in current affairs long ago when it hadn't done my life any good. But during this election period I fall in love with it again. Thanks to the GEJtill2019 people who made the fun a spicy one for me as well as the CHANGE agents who helped us with hilarious pictures every now and then.

Don't expect too much from whatever you are doing. Just do and pray to God. Don't count your eggs before it hatched

How frustrating it always looked whenever I opened a thread and only 25 to 30 viewers come by it, with no comment at all from them all. It looked really disappointing; a thread you spent hours typing and checking dictionaries and other reference materials for, believing that it will surely make frontpage. This really taught me that you don't need to do your things for FP all the time. Just write because you love writing, that's all.

Don't believe every news

Many news are not true. One have to follow his or her discretion whenever a news is aired. With internet, e-liars are many nowadays. People just tell lies on and on. I have learnt not to believe all the stories I find on social media. I follow my own commonsense.

What have you gained from Nairaland? Add yours.

10 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by alberto2k(m): 12:17am On Apr 06, 2015
This is nice and true

Me likey smiley

1 Like

Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by kilokeys(m): 12:20am On Apr 06, 2015
so true..
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by shininglite(m): 12:31am On Apr 06, 2015
op u re mouthed...nairaland has taught me alot I now see tins differently

front page material (12yards)

1 Like

Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by xreal: 12:33am On Apr 06, 2015
Very true.

The GEJtill2019 group are all very guilty of all you mentioned.
They really divided the country.... but we (CHANGE agents) now have our 'heads high'.

Nice writeup.
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Whizzcute(m): 12:33am On Apr 06, 2015
hmmm,FP material

Make i just spread my mat here till then
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by lovely17(m): 12:33am On Apr 06, 2015
nice observation op
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Beamborla(f): 12:34am On Apr 06, 2015
You are right.

Just do it for the fun. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Elslim: 12:36am On Apr 06, 2015
OP is on Point like kilode...
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 06, 2015
Hmmmm.This is a true news grin
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by kinglekan: 12:50am On Apr 06, 2015
otemanuduno:

If you can survive NL insults, you can survive in the real world

You will hardly get insulted on Facebook because everyone is trying to hold his or her head. But here, even if you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, they will come for you and abuse you as if you have a hand in the kidnap of the CHIBOK's girls. Many people deleted their Nairaland accounts because of 'insults at first sight' they got on day one here. But for many of us who survived it, it wouldn't be easy to survive insults from anyone in the world.

If you can handle pressure on Nairaland, then you can handle it anywhere

At first, I am always scared whenever I found out that I have a 'mention', but over time, I intentionally seek after mentions by all means. I laugh happily whenever the mention is a critical and indicting one. The other guy there who quoted you may be seriously angry with your post, but you ain't bothered. Instead you find pleasure in doing it. That's exactly the games politicians in the outside world are playing on us.

Nice one OP

Tho I disagree with these two points.

1. Surviving NL insults don't mean you would survive real world insults. Here you have enough time to let your anger go down before replying or even enough time to fire back constructively.
In the real world it hits u like a bomb and most times you are forced to react based on your emotions.

If you don't develop a crocodile skin for insults in the real world. NL insults wouldn't prepare you for it.

2. Same as 1 sha. There really isn't pressure on NL. If you have a mention that's critical of you. You either choose to reply or you ignore completely.

In the real world you have to respond most times with wisdom. Ignoring might not be an option.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by mizkeleke(f): 12:58am On Apr 06, 2015
Valuable space......
*Buys one plot of land*

1 Like

Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by jamex93(m): 1:09am On Apr 06, 2015
Now u r talking like a nigerian

All mentioned are right

Na for every where e dey happen no b only for NL
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Isaacmacdon(m): 1:09am On Apr 06, 2015
Some pple sha... enough f d political inspired post... its over Abeg..... Let's look forward to d next government... As for d op n his topic.. well nice job son... They r all FACTS...
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by RomanceLander(f): 1:53am On Apr 06, 2015
[size=13pt]Just bought this plot with my last card.[/size]
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by yungchop: 2:05am On Apr 06, 2015
RomanceLander:
[size=13pt]Just bought this plot with my last card.[/size]
you're also into land investment too?? shocked grin
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Nobody: 4:33am On Apr 06, 2015
Nairaland made me tougher. cheesy
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Nobody: 4:46am On Apr 06, 2015
This great addicting forum has taught me how to have fun and to never take anything serious cos this is an e-world and at the end of the day, its always abt the real world cheesy
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Karleb(m): 6:03am On Apr 06, 2015
So people take NL this serious?

Anyway, Ishilove please update the FP.
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by XtraSmooth404: 6:09am On Apr 06, 2015
NL has taught me how to use common sense when it comes to religion.
NL has taught me not to take life too seriously. No one is getting out alive any ways.
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Bowaley17(m): 8:04am On Apr 06, 2015
*When i get MENTIONS i don't have answers to,I ignore completely.
*Nairalanders can make you feel like a nonentity. They can frustrate the living daylight out of you.
*Nairaland has made me have interest in politics. Before i just don't understand it.
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by daveP(m): 10:45am On Apr 06, 2015
cool
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 06, 2015
VERY TRUE.
Re: Ten Lessons Nairaland Has Taught Me by Dyoungstar: 12:52am On Apr 07, 2015
FOOLS WILL ALSO SHOW THEMSELVES AFTER ALL SAID AND DONE.

(1) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Offers Locals $1 US For $35,000,000,000,000,000 / Stunning Animal Body Art! / A Petrol Tanker Fell Down And Caught Fire At Mushin Olosha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.